10 week post knee replacement pain and stiffness still,

Posted , 6 users are following.

new knee stiffness and pain

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

I am at 16 weeks. i have no pain during the day just nights. i still have stiffness and find that stretching and exercise eases it.

• Posted

Hi Jean, im about 16 weeks too and my pain has eased off during the day and only a bit of stiffness at night, first few weeks are a slogg and a bit depressing, but Morecambe1 hang in there it does get better. I am swimming and dancing again, but your right Jean stretching does help too.

• Posted

fedupgirl....im still really stiff at night. i wake at least once usually twice. i have to push the leg straight, use my cane and hobble to the bathroom. Once ive taken about 10 steps I am Ok. The leg isnt as painful as its used to be.

• Posted

I am also 16 weeks out and i still have lots of swelling. I'm back to work so my nights consist of icing and elevating. Pain is controlled with tylenol and some stiffness but I'm on the uphill side of this! Hoping as each day goes by it gets better! Keep your head held high and ice elevate and take your pain medicine. I'm thankful for this group.

• Posted

These are still very early days.a

Are you having physiotherapy?

Hang in there and be patient.

Take care and keep in touch.

Sarah

• Posted

hi Sarah, no I'm not having physio, I went for my 8 week check up and apparently I've been discharged now

• Posted

I think you need to be having advice about the right exercises to do.

Not sure if it is the case in Bradford but here in Wales you can refer yourself for physiotherapy, no need to have a GP refer you.

It is 7 years since i had TKR so really can't remember the exercises I was given and do not want to give you the wrong advice.

Sarah

• Posted

hi, no I'm not having physio I went for 8 week check up and apparently I'm now discharged

• Posted

morecambe1 ....Where do you live? Were you given exercises to do moving forward.....ones that you could do at a gym? I find the reclining bike really helps with stiffness. i use the bike at my gym. I know water exercise is good and as soon as the warmer weather comes im going to use my gyms pool.

• Posted

i live in Bradford there is a gym near but it's getting to it, maybe worth giving them a call and asking about the bike

thank you

• Posted

YMCA do a self refer and it's free for three months, this includes use of the pool, gym and some classes. A PT will do an induction for you to use gym equipment. I have just started and am finding the pool very helpful. Going to try the gym next week.

• Posted

Typically, the worst of this lasts around 3 months...maybe a tad longer...everyone is different. This is NOT a linear recovery where it gets a bit better every day. There absolutely are advances, setbacks and plateaus (the worst). Post this on your fridge...

Reality

What? You thought this would be easy? Silly wabbit...

PS: Remember to bring your oars for the boat part...

• Posted

Typically, the first 8-12 weeks involve getting your ROM back. That's the priority. Next, and it will take months, is to focus on rebuilding all the musculature that supports the knee since it's all atrophied. Here's the plan written by an expert...

Post TKR Exercising

Kate's a graduate nutritionist and a personal trainer certified by the American College of Sports Medicine (top level certification). Follow the program. Start slow. Endurance before strength. This will take up the next six months of your life...and beyond. If you don't keep the knee active, it will stiffen up even years later.

Any stiffness you feel right now is normal. Even at a year, some people report stiffness, tightness, a "band-like" feeling. This usually resolves with exercise and time by 18 months post-op. Remember, the exercise program is CRITICAL to regain your muscle strength.

• Posted

thank you for your post that helps me a great deal, I've managed to get another appointment with my consultant as I saw his registrar on my 8 week check up and was most unhelpful

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.