TKR 8mths Why is it so stiff when I sleep

Posted , 6 users are following.

Had knee replaced Aug 2018, been really well, But when I'm in bed even for 1hour or so the Pain wakes me up, I cant really say it's a Pain because it's not, more of a severe Stiffness.I then have to put pillows under legs and feet. It's really getting me down. Anyone else experience this.?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Susan, I had TKR five and a half weeks ago and i have the same problem. If i sleep on my back with my legs straight I wake because I need to bend them and if I lay on my side with them bent then I have to straighten them and boy does it hurt almost to the point of screaming! This only started about 5 days ago and like you I don't know wether to call it pain or stiffness or both. Pain killers don't seem to make much difference. It also hurts to do the heel slides which even when my knee wouldn't bend I didn't have the same amount of pain as I am getting now. Any advice out there?

• Posted

Very normal. Stiffness, tightness, a "band-like" feeling doesn't go away soon...but it does resolve gradually...

• A whole lot better at one year
    • May last for 18 months
    • After that, it should be hardly noticeable
    • The knee will DEFINITELY stiffen up due to inactivity even years down the road

I would suggest undertaking the muscle rebuild program to fix your atrophied quads, glutes and core. This takes the stress off the new joint and puts it back on the muscles where it belongs. Also keeps the knee active and less stiff.

Voltaren Gel (RX in the US, generic diclofenac elsewhere). Check for interactions. Great topical anti-inflammatory. Use multiple times a day but especially 15 minutes before bed.

• Posted

1. If you don't rebuild the strength in your atrophied quads, glutes, core, etc., you can expect this...

Other Pain

1. So you have to work on regaining strength in all the musculature that takes the pressure off the new joint. Start slowly...endurance before strength. This will take 4-6 months minimum 2-3X/week but you need an activity program long-term to keep that strength and avoid lingering stiffness...

Post-TKR Exercising

Written for us by a certified pro. Takes a strong will and determination...but the payoff is HUGE!!!

• Posted

My surgery was Nov 29/2018. I have the same stiffness as you are describing but it wakes me every 3 hours. its an ache and as i stretch there is pain in the back of the knee. When i get out of bed the knee is so stiff i have to use a cane for the first few steps. This is my second TKR and i never experienced this before.

• Posted

I had TKR 7 years ago and I remember being the same as you here.

Try putting pillows under legs and feet before going to sleep rather than waiting till you are woken up.

Also try a wet flannel on the knee.

Hope this helps.

Take care and keep in touch.

Sarah

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.