Knee clicks every time I bend my knee or go up the stairs with knee pain, but caused by no injury?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi,

A few years ago, my left knee started clicking and grinding every time I bend it or go up the stairs. There is also some slight knee pain as well all around the knee. This happens every day and exercises to relieve the pain, however, some exercises make it worse. The injury was not caused by any injury, however, it may have been overused in the gym. I haven't had any other problems with it other than the pain and clicking/grinding. Does anyone know what I might have when there was no injury involved?

Thanks for your help.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

i had the same thing 20 years ago. mine is osteoarthritis. you should get seen by orthopedic doc to see if there are things you can do to slow the progression.

• Posted

i agree osteoarthritis. Knees wear out and the pain worsens. ARTHRITIS drugs help and look into analgesic rubs. You cant cure it but you can slow it down. Injections help put off replacement surgery for a while. BEST OF LUCK.

• Posted

Thats how my knees started. I did have a scope that helped but eventually had a TkR but not for about 20 years.

• Posted

You need to see an orthopedic surgeon for imaging and an exam that informs the doc of what's going on in there as he/she rotates/twists the knee from different angles. There might be a single cause that can be fixed (ex: torn meniscus) or it could be a deteriorating knee with arthritis present. The worst case scenario is that the imaging shows a bone-on-bone situation. Nothing fixes that but a TKR. However...

You can put off such a major op for a looooong time. Synvisc is an injectable liquid that "oils" the joint and eliminates the scraping and pain. Works for some...doesn't for others. Worked for me for 6-7 years. My regimen was three shots (days 1, 8 and 15), saw full relief a few weeks later, lasted 11 months (can last up to a year). They also have a one-shot deal that can last up to six months.

The other possibility is the FDA-approved Coolief procedure which seems to be very successful in alleviating osteoarthritic pain in knees, hips, shoulders and lower back. Here, the doc injects water at super high speed to flush out all the "crap" inside the joint. That's followed by some steroids. The procedure has been known to last up to two years. Stay tuned... I'm having it done on my hip in a few days...

Again, sooner or later, you'll probably need a TKR if the knee is deteriorating. I was able to put it off with Synvisc and a move to a much warmer climate until I was 68. Everyone's different. Talk to your doc...

• Posted

I only do not understand one thing about the coolief procedure.

Once the knee is flushed - is this also removed? or flushed and left in the knee?

Because if it is left there , I am not sure how different it is from usual steroid injection?

• Posted

Flushed and suctioned removing all the debris. I've read the information and reviews but have not gone deep into the NIH or FDA data. The doc did an MRI of my hip, confirming the problem and I'll have the procedure on Thursday, 5/16. Fingers crossed...

• Posted

ALL THE BEST ON THURSDAY ! I hope it will work for you.

Can I ask what exactly is wrong with your hip?

I was very careless and stupid really ! I was doing great! Loved the speed in everything really ( swimming, sprinting, even up the stairs to work, fast push ups and equally yoga type of exerciseholding my body still in many extreme positions. I enjoyed lifting being strong lean and muscular..... And have been blessed really. And I just failed myself for life! Messed mine and my family life too.

I was so fit, that nothing faced me , until I had my holiday and have done everything I used to 3-4 times a week- suddenly 7 times a week for two full weeks. Birthday treat ! Doing every day what I LOVED THE MOST. Now, from great healthy cartilage became cartilage stage 3 damage within a year.

I also have a hip and shoulders pain since than.

No one will even bother with me via NHS.

They have done the MRI process took 11 months until I got through the GP to surgical orthopedist who told me nothing will help if steroids wont and there is nothing else they can do. They have discharged me after declining the only option.

Against his advice I had private arthroscopy and cartilage washout and smoothening of rough edges.

It has been a month , and I cant say whether I have made a right decision ? Cant even go down the stairs yet. Only on the leg I did not have done.

7000 steps is plenty if not way too much .

I am suppose to have other knee done in July, but really not sure whether or not to go for it.

I was told about open knee surgery which would follow approximately 2 month after arthroscopic cartilage sample taking surgery.

New cartilage grown in the lab and than implanted back to your joint .?

Problem is, the price is huge per two knees and I cant find nowhere any reliable source that could answer if this could work?

Somedays right hip hurts more than the knees, and than it stops again . But through the NHS no one has done the scan of my hip or shoulders, because they move beautifully and I have an excellent range of movement.

I have really messed up my life- and there is no way back.

And unless I do stuff privately - nothing is done or investigated.

And I really do not know why. ?

• Posted

I was on my TotalGym and couldn't grab the pulley handle on my right side. So I twisted to the right to grab the pulley with my left hand. My feet were locked in, I slipped off the slider and over-rotated my left hip. Stupid thing to do at 71.

The MRI showed lots of inflammation but no tear requiring a surgeon to stitch it up. So Coolief will handle the problem that's been bugging me for four months. Chiropractor couldn't fix it and anti-inflammatories didn't work. Feels like a knife stabbing me in the hip...has not gotten any better. The good thing is that the hip joint is perfect and there is no other structural issues. This is unlike my right hip which was 30% DEAD (necrotic) back in 2009 requiring a hip replacement. Seems that 45 years of playing hockey was a couple of thousand hip checks too many! At least the MRI confirmed that I don't need a metal left hip.

So, I'll see how Coolief works in a few days. Will be interesting... This will be my 31st general anesthesia procedure in the past 19 years (not counting endoscopies, colonoscopies, etc.). Mostly minor stuff but a few big ones in there (four knee scopes, two shoulder scopes, metal hip, metal knee, four spine surgeries including two fusions, etc.). With 4 1/2 pounds of metal, I'm the TSA's worst nightmare at the airport.

• Posted

UPDATE: Been almost a week. The day after the procedure, I had no pain at all...yes, steroids can be useful. As I progressed, the pain came back...but NOT the same sharp, stabbing pain...more like a deep ache. This is because the area is sore from being injected with the high-pressure water and fluids. Needed a Percocet 5/325 for two nights only so I could get to sleep. Now the ache is diminishing daily...they say it takes two weeks total. Getting the single stitch out tomorrow and then seeing the doc again a week later. So far, so good...

• Posted

I am glad you feel the coolief therapy helped you. Or at least it seems promising.

Is this procedure covered by insurance?

Not sure if this is known in UK.

I had quite bad two weeks. I supposed I was doing too much too soon.

Its hard to tell my young brain to sit down- to do nothing.

• Posted

FDA approved and covered by my Medicare supplement plan. Cost me less than $150 total (doc, surgi-center and anesthesia). At 71, I have an old brain...

• Posted

One week since COOLIEF on my hip. Great results. I am ABSOLUTELY getting this procedure done on my other knee before I do a TKR. Doc says that he has long-term patients who get their knee(s) done once every 2-3 years and have not needed a TKR because of the COOLIEF procedure. If there is nothing structurally wrong with the knee...just osteoarthritis causing all the pain...I'd seriously take a look at COOLIEF.

• Posted

I didn't have an injury either. Pain just started and got worse and worse over time. I had the clicking too and pain on the side of knee also.

Almost 5 months out after surgery and STILL have pain,clicking ( from the new metal and ceramic parts rubbing together) and have tourniquet swelling, feels like the skin is going to split wide open. I also have Diabetes and Hashimoto's Thyroid. Dr. says these things can slow your recovery. Be SURE you have your Dr. explain everything. My surgeon made it seem like it was not going to be a big deal. IT WAS A BIG DEAL!!!! Everyone heals differently. Keep us Posted, good luck!!!

• Posted

My knees never clicked or have been painful, only suddenly pain started in the evenings and than within a month pain progressed to strong central acute pain, that was relieved by 2-3 days in bed, but quickly kept returning after going to work ( 12 hrs shifts) within next month clicking started. ......

But I know many people, who knees clicks, but does't hurt at all.

• Posted

FOR ME ITS THE CLICKING ACCOMPANIED WITH STABBING PAIN THAT I WANT TO PUT AN END TO TOO!! TOTALLY UNSTABLE. MY QUADS ARE WASTED PARTICULARLY ON THE LEFT SIDE WHERE THE REALLY DICKY KNEE IS. I HAVE MORE TROUBLE GOING DOWN STAIRS THAN UP. I HAVE BEEN GOING DOWN STAIRS ONE AT A TIME LEADING WITH BAD LEG FOR ABOUT TWO YEARS NOW. CATCH 22- IF YOU DON't USE IT- YOU LOSE IT- meaning QUADS and its bloody hard to squat nowadays. sorry for the rant. am always interested to hear everyone's pain and hope for some breakthroughs soon- thanks for sharing the good stuff too- it's very encouraging.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.