Knee replacement

Posted , 22 users are following.

july will be a year that I had my knee replacement and it is so bad. My knee is swollen it looks like i have two different legs. I'm in pain all the time. I haven't seen my doctor sense February because he said give it a year. i cant wait to give him a years worth of all my pain. Is there any good doctors anymore. I know this is not right.

0 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I'm so sorry for those who are having such difficulty.

I had my first TKR , my right knee, Jan,2016, and my left one in March in 2016 also. I remember all of the pain and discomfort you are experiencing. As one of my favorite Patient posters, Chico Marx, would say "TKR is a long journey"...I would have to wholeheartedly agree. ( I would also truly recommend looking for Chico's excellent advice in his past posts).

My right knee was always doing better than my left as far as swelling, and just not feeling as strong as the right. But 3 &1/2 years post surgery my left knee is as close to being as good as my right as it has ever been. Why the difference? I don't know, I was just told that sometimes no 2 knees come out the same, even if they are on the same person.

Right now I'm dealing with serious back issues, unrelated to my knees ( I suppose I could say it is related, because if my new knees didn't allow me to be so active, maybe I wouldn't have injured my back!)

I'm a 53 years young, lady semi- truck driver and I went back to work full time after going back to work at the beginning of June that year. I wore elastic athletic braces on both knees for the first 2 years while working, and MASS ice and elevation when I got home!! It was longest time in my life of having to deal with such a level of discomfort on a daily basis. And being a professional driver I had to get by on only OTC pain relievers, and one prescription anti inflammatory. I truly believe that it was my distance runner mind set and sheer will that helped me get through it all...ironically it was all that running that had caused in part, for me to need new knees (those who are slightly bowlegged do not last as distance runners!)

For those who are struggling now, I hope you all take heart, and know that there is light at the end of this tunnel. Unless you truly believe your surgery was a faulty one, know that this really IS a long journey.

Keep moving ( I found using a walker was best to really develop a natural heel/toe gait and really ENJOY the movement of walking). Cycle on a stationary bicycle to get a nice flow going in those knees and legs! ICE,ICE,ICE Baby and ELEVATE when you've done too much, or if the swelling comes on. If you're in pain, Take those meds if you are able to...no medals for hurting when you don't need to. Also get do whatever it takes to get the GOOD SLEEP, the kind that when you wake up you actually feel like some healing is happening. Sleep with a pillow between your knees if you're a side sleeper, I still do.

My heart breaks for anyone in pain, because I know how it is.

I hope this can be of help. My prayers of good health and healing to all who are struggling right now. Be strong, don't give up.

May the Lord strengthen you,

God Bless

• Posted

I am so sorry for all of you in pain. My first 2/17 was hard because of scar tissue but is great now. My second was less than 5 weeks ago. I still use ice machine on it at night. Have burning pain now but off pain meds. First one took forever to heal but this one healed quicker and better. PRAYERS for any on you suffering! Hang in there you are not alone!!

• Posted

I am 17 months out from my TKR, and ROM is pathetic and I too, have pain in knee, no matter what I do to prevent it. I regret having this surgery....... Im in US, and everybody else that I have talked to about their surgery had great results. I had mine done at a teaching hospital, and according to my surgical notes, the resident did the surgery. With the attending in the OR, but I was paying for the attendings hands and brain, not the resident.

• Posted

I FEEL WITH YOU. IT IS SCARY NOT KNOWING. AND IT ALWAYS WILL BE AN ISSUE, AS NOT THE SAME TRAINING IS PROVIDED FOR ALL SURGEONS AND NOT ALL OF THEM BECOME SURGEONS FOR THE RIGHT REASON. BUT I BELIEVE YOU CAN REQUEST IN ADVANCE YOU DO NOT WISH TO HAVE RESIDENT DOING YOUR SURGERY.

• Posted

Reading these replays just goes to show to me there are good surgeons and lets say not so good ones.I had both knees done both TKR's one 18 months the other 9 months both done by the same surgeon and both at the same hospital,the surgeon was recommended to me by a fellow work colleague and both are perfect absolutely no pain still work 12 hr shifts,play golf regulary the knees are stiff and do feel as they are artifical but they are so successful well up to now anyway,i feel for everyone who's TKR hasn't been great as the recovery is so difficult and the pain and even more the mental pain is so bad, all i can say is hang in there and hopefully thing will change for the better

• Posted

I'm so sorry! Where are you located? I would definitely do my research and seek out a strong second opinion.

• Posted

my parcel was done by lake shore bone and joint. about 7 months got tired of they telling me give it a year. So i went to doctor diveris in chesterton and he sent me to Indianapolis to midwest joint center because the cement was broke and my piece was shifting back and forth

• Posted

Hi I'm Im in the north east of the UK and have a marvellous surgeon. Had both knees done within a year latest 3 months ago. Second was so much easier than the first but he did explain that both knees are different. He even removed a perpatella bursa from my previous tkr. I recovered well but I do believe it's down to the person to aid recovery. I am pain free in both knees yes a little discomfort it personally for me the ops been worth it. Keep excercising it takes time some longer than others. I've been lucky to keeping fingers crossed for you x

• Posted

Ann...your comment" i do believe its down to the person to aid recovery" is true in many cases. .....but not all. i had my first TKR 11 years ago and danced in 3 months. It has been over 7 months since my 2nd TKR and i have gone to PT and followed all the exercises and still go to the gym 3 times a week. However I cant control my patella and it keeps slipping out of place. I am wearing a brace to try to keep and move it into place. I still cant do leg extensions even though I daily exercise my quads. At my 4 month check up my surgeon intimated more surgery. My family doctor told me that 20% of all TKRs are not successful. .....hips yes...knees no.

• Posted

Sorry to say, but Im 17 months out and am still in pain. Icing it right now....... can't bend to 100.... Had manipulation and scope done 5 months out, and it helped for awhile, but got bad again. going back to see surgeon in Aug. The second surgeon. I will never go back to the one that did my original TKR.... He can't look me in the eye and say he did it. The surgical notes say the resident did it....

• Posted

i am so terribly sorry about your knee. I was released by

my surgeon today at less than 5 weeks. Knee is excellent but the burning i have been blaming my knee for is actually degenerative disc disease. I will be going to double physical therapy as they finish strengthening my knee and work on my back/sciatica. So you see, if it isnt one thing, its another.

• Posted

i am so terribly sorry about your knee. I was released by

my surgeon today at less than 5 weeks. Knee is excellent but the burning i have been blaming my knee for is actually degenerative disc disease. I will be going to double physical therapy as they finish strengthening my knee and work on my back/sciatica. So you see, if it isnt one thing, its another.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.