Extreme pain at night after 4 weeks in from TKR

Posted , 7 users are following.

i'm now wishing i didnt get my knee replaced. the pain at night is so severe. i cant sleep. what is best pain relief

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I'm at my 8 month mark from my 2nd knee replaced. With both knees i couldn't sleep in the bed for the first 8 weeks as i couldn't sleep with my legs flat. I would sleep in the recliner. I had no pain medication as i had an allergic reaction and everything the Dr gave me i broke out in hives. Extra strength Tylenol was my best friend and Tylenol PM at night.

Have you talked with your Dr to get pain medication? It helps to get the pain under control. Everyone deals with pain differently but having my knees done was the best thing i have done! When i first had the surgery i was like you wishing I had never had it done but now I'm so thankful .

Keep your head up. You got this!

• Posted

hi Vicki, 4 weeks is early days yet. ive had both knees done 1st one 4yr ago 2nd 1yr ago then had shoulder replaced 14 weeks back. for knees I used pillow to support replaced knee whilst lay on my side and used tramadol every 4 hr staggered with paracetamol 2hr later. it's better to take regular pain meds to keep on top of pain I started reducing about 6week post op.

• Posted

i seem behind the 8 ball with pain killers so must speak to dr again. i struggled with nausea on endone and oxycoten so now just palexia each morning and night

• Posted

Too early. The first three months are the worst as you regain your ROM and titrate off the opioid meds. This is very common. So many people have the same "I wish I hadn't done it" reaction and then at your one year, pain-free ann-knee-versary, you're dancing and happy. Again...very common.

Get some Voltaren Gel (RX in US, generic diclofenac elsewhere...check for interactions). Great topical anti-inflammatory but do NOT apply directly to incision until it's healed...talk to your doc.

Here are some discussions that might be helpful...

Sleeping

Reality

• Posted

Not much relief at 4 weeks. Im going on a year and half, and still in pain. Had manipulation and scope done months ago, and it helped some. Probably will have another one done soon..... wish I had NEVER had this damn surgery.

• Posted

Early days yet. I think my very effective pain killer was called something like oxy cocodine.

• Posted

thanks James, i was on that and endone but infortunately they made me sick. im just on palexia now one in morning and one at night, along with panadol. Seems like i'll have to bear it

• Posted

Hi. I am 14 mths post op. It does get better but thr first few months ate sooo painful I cried with pain. Luckily my doctor gave me some Oramorph for the first month of so. Then took paracetamol & codeine.... although the codeine makes you very bunged up so take laxatives. I am now starting to walk around without thinking about my knee & the consultant said that it can take up to 2years to feel free of the "tight elastic band. Good luck! Sty positive. x

• Posted

thank you, im struggling with staying positive but reading the encouraging comments helps

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.