Has anyone had success with Simple Robotic Prostatectomy performed in NYC?

Posted , 16 users are following.

Still trying to figure out the best procedure to manage BPH. The answer is not crystal clear. I'm open to any and all advice from your experiences. Much appreciated.

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

If you have the money about 20,000.00 go see Dr. Karamanian in Houston and get Focal Laser Ablation.

• Posted

Over the years it has all been said on this forum and there is no consensus of opinion as what is best because there are no two people alike.

• Posted

Dear Ribz,

There are many possible treatments for BPH, and in my opinion, prostatectomy is the most extreme. All procedures carry a risk---- incontinence, impotence, retrograde ejaculation, etc. Prostatectomy is probably the operation that carries the greatest risk of all of these. I would start with a full evaluation of your situation at a major medical center. MRI, ultrasound, urodynamic testing, cystoscopy, lab tests, etc. as necessary and determined by your MD. Then I would get a second opinion. I would do a lot of research online so you understand the benefits and possible drawbacks of any operation (s) you are considering. I would not jump into any treatment. I was self-catheterizing for 3 years before deciding on REZUM. Then I went to 5 different doctors who do the procedure to see how many procedures they have done and what their patients' success rates are. Finally had the procedure on June 28 of this year (19) at Loyola University in Chicago, and the results are good. I'm happy I waited to find the right procedure and the right doc. I hope that you will be satisfied too, with whatever you decide to do. Good luck. Feel free to PM me if you need more info.

Fred

• Posted

In the past good few years we have only had one patient who decided on a Simple Robotic Prostatectomy for BPH.

• Posted

Fred put it best. Get many opinions. Having it removed should be your option. I had Urolift a year ago after going into retention and needing a catheter for a month while i researched the options. Catheter came out two days after the operation and I'm still good now. Pee one maybe two times per night. Certain things still irritate it though. If I have more than one alcoholic drink or have something very spicy, I will have a rough night. Urolift worked for me as it was the least invasive.

• Posted

had a really important typo. "Having it removed should be your LAST option" - not sure how to edit on this site.

• Posted

Ribz, I had HoLAP 5 weeks ago at the Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville FL by Dr. Chandler Dora. Great experience with a terrific result. Google: Youtube, Dora, prostate, HoLEP, and you can see Dr.Dora perform a HoLEP procedure. And it was almost totally covered by my Medicare and BlueCross. No complaints.

• Posted

Hi Ribz99,

Yes, a Forum member posted about a successful outcome after undergoing a procedure which sounded very similar to what you are looking for, but his post was some time ago. If you're really interested I can try and see if I find it. However, I cannot guarantee success.

Another point. In your post you mention "NYC". Is this critical?

Warm regards, alan86734.

• Posted

I think people like Dr. Karamanian don't want insurance to cover FLA so they can collect $25K directly from men trying to survive.

• Posted

Hi ES,

Just had the FLA procedure with Dr. Karamanian 8 weeks ago and cost was $21K. For what it is worth he was incredibly caring and giving with his time. He is hoping to influence more insurance companies to cover the procedure and mentioned that some of them actually are covering it now at least partially. It may be worth checking to see if your insurer does cover it with him.

I did not have insurance, and it is a fair whack of money, but at least so far with the results it was worth it. All systems go now.

Joe

• Posted

Thank you Joe. It sounds like you are happy with your recovery so far with Dr. Karmenian. I have spoken to the doctor and he is all that you say.. I wanted to hear from fellow members from this forum if the Simple Robotic Prosectomy was an option to consider too,, as well as PAE.

• Posted

HI

Really depends on size of your prostate and if medial lobe is involved in blockage, also your age and overall health should be taken into account. I am 63 had a prostate of 191 gms, no medial lobe involvement and am otherwise in ok shape. I had a PAE and am happy with the results, I still get up 1 to 2 times a night and have a weak stream at times and do not empty my bladder completely, but the difference between before and after is day and night. Post Op had to keep foley in for a week, but after that no issues, sexual or otherwise.

Steve

• Posted

Hello, Ribz99:

As you know, I am the only one on this forum that has had the Simple Robotic Prostatectomy. I attribute that to the many available options for treating BPH and the natural succession of order we men prefer to take in solving problems (i.e. less invasive to radically invasive). Based on your situation, at this time, there may not be a "crystal clear" answer (sorry). And to complicate matters, the specific doctor you are seeing may attempt to steer you one way and not provide you all the options to consider. Plus, the medical environment seems to cater to pills and self-cathing because we men like that route first in treating our BPH symptoms (I never went there). The other options scare the hell out of us and we will fight to the death to preserve our manhood, while at the same time, struggle to pee and sleep and live in this new non-normal life of BPH. The whole thing reminds me of the following:

1. Meds (Pills) = relax bladder neck or attempt to shrink the prostate.
    2. Bands & Beads = squeeze/shrink the prostate so the bladder neck will open up more.
    3. Roto-Rooter = make a larger opening for the urethra to pass urine.
    4. Mass Removal = remove all or part of the prostate.

Each of the above has its own sub-techniques and procedures to choose from. So, you can see there is no crystal clear answer. Study them all and pick the one you feel will solve your problem, not just treat your symptoms. Think of the picture I sent you of my mass removal as you look at the above options. #4 was the long-term solution to my BPH problem. PM me if you would like to discuss my experience any further.

Best to you,

Dave

• Posted

Dave I appreciate how you broke down all the options for me. I'm sure it also will help others on this forum . I will PM you later. Did not see your the photo you sent. Will go back and look again. Looking for a doctor who does the SRP in NYC. to have an eval.

Thank you for all your help and all of you who responded to my question. It is most helpful.

• Posted

Ribz99 - I just PM'd you the pictures and some more information.

Dave

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.