Resection surgery

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hullo lads/lasses,

Simple question today๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿผ. How scared were those of you who've had the surgery? Did your mind calm down at some point? Sid your doctor comfort you etc? I'll fully admit I'm a bit scared. Advice?

0 likes, 40 replies

40 Replies

Prev
  • Edited

Hi Jacob

hows it going now hope you're feeling better, i need the op and i'm s**t scared to say the least no date yet

• Edited

I'm in hospital as I type this. I'll be honest the pain today is pretty bad, but no cramping. My surgery was done with the Di Vinci robot--six small incisions. I was terrified but I knew this had to be done. It wasn't anywhere as bad as I thought. You'll

be good. Take care matey.

• Edited

So glad it went well. Hope you recover quickly and thanks for taking the time to update us. All the very best x

• Edited

Hey Jacob I'm so glad to here your doing well. The worst is over. It's all uphill from here. Do lots of walking as the doctor suggests. Are you able to eat much yet? I'm 9 months post surgery and still feel amazing. I've been feeling so well I've put on a bit of weight lol. Being able to eat anything I want now has been such a blessing. Please keep us updated. It's so nice to here about recovery. Cheers

• Edited

Glad to here it went well and i hope your pain eases and your back to good health soon

Are you in USA I'm in uk and my hospital doesn't perform it with robotics

Seeing the comments i've had I am going to get a 2nd opinion

onwards and upwards

• Edited

Yes I'm an expat living in America. You need to find a hospital that uses the robot. I'm from Manchester , and I'm quite sure they have the Divinci Xi robot. In my opinion it's the only way to go. I'd get as many opinions as you can. I went to four colorectal surgeons prior to picking the doc I felt most comfortable with. I have six small incisions which hurt like hell, but in the long run it'll be worth it. I did this surgery electively in order to avoid a significant perforation. The NHS is great but, they don't do surgery unless you can prove its absolutely necessary. In America you can do this surgery whenever you wish. I'd find a way to do the robot if I were you. Ironically I'm writing this from my hospital bed๐Ÿ˜ท.

Good luck and jeep us informed๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป.

Best,

Jacob

• Edited

I was terrified but after I arrived at hospital I just had the attitude of let's get on with it๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป. My son has had twelve surgeries on his back due to his scoliosis. If my little man can do it, so can I. In pre-OP there was a woman who needed spinal surgery, at that moment I just thought what a w**ker I was being. My surgery went smoothly, and yours will as well๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป. You got this๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿผ.

• Posted

Jacob - Have been thinking about you and wondering how you are doing. Your pain will only get better and better. I took nothing but tylenol except for what was in my IV when I had the actual surgery. My surgeon was excellent and I had absolutely no gas pain after surgery (nurse said he was well-known for working to get as much gas out before closing). Mine was robotic -

had 3 small incisions and one about 3-4 inches. I'm like you - not nearly as bad as I had anticipated, and so far (12 weeks) so worth it!Took a little while to get movements regular, but I'm about there, I think. Main thing i have found is not to eat larger portions than I'm used to. No problem with that when at home, but when I go out to eat, I overindulge and then throws my system out of order. So glad you are over the hump of surgery. Just take it easy for a little while - didn't take me too long to get energy back (3 week) and I'm 76 years old, so if I can do it - anyone can!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.