Resection surgery

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hullo lads/lasses,

Simple question today😊👌🏼. How scared were those of you who've had the surgery? Did your mind calm down at some point? Sid your doctor comfort you etc? I'll fully admit I'm a bit scared. Advice?

0 likes, 40 replies

40 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi there, I had my surgery this past May. I was scared before surgery as I also have A Fib a heart arrhythmia to be concerned about. I wasn't sure if I could have a problem with this during surgery so ya I was scared. Plus I wasn't sure if I was gonna have a bag or not. My surgery went amazingly well. I had surgery on Monday, went home on Thursday and went grocery shopping on Friday although I walked slowly lol. I had about 8 inches removed and no bag. I started eating regular food the day after surgery and have been eating whatever I want without any issues whatsoever. My surgeon told me I should not have anymore problems with diverticulitis. However I will mention I have NEVER eaten crappy junk food and eat mostly homemade unprocessed nutrient dense foods. I feel fantastic and would recommend it to anyone in the position to have this surgery. P. S. I'm 60 years young lol.

• Posted

I was 68 when I had my surgery. I had a fistula between my colon and bladder so I had no choice but to have the surgery. The flares of pain and cramps were horrible. After the surgery I asked my doc what I could eat our not eat. He said to eat anything I wanted that I would know what didn't agree with me. That is so true. I became acquainted with the quick step right away.I had some issues with my surgery but the bottom line is I no longer have DD and my health is very good for a currently 72 year young female. You will imagine everything that can be imagined. You will hear horror stories...try to put them out of your mind and rest in knowing when it's over and you are all healed up Jacob0373 you will think back on this and wonder why you were so concerned. Then you can visit here on occasion and give comfort to others.

• Posted

All the best to you in your surgery Jacob. You will be fine. Try to find some way to de-stress. I remember the wonderings and what ifs. That will only make you feel worse. Think of how good you are going to feel when it's all over and all the healing is past. Chin up Chickadee, you got this. When is your surgery date?

• Posted

I was told, and did research that approximately 10% chance of the diverticulitis returning after surgery. As I've stated before, everyone is different. I had sepsis throughout my abdomen, my organs were twice the size they should've been, and my stomach was severely inflamed. By the time of my surgery I looked like I was 10 months pregnant. Still recovering after almost 2 years. Constantly being on the antibiotic really screwed up my stomach lining. I unfortunately fell into the 10% category. Since last June (a year after surgery) I've had 3 small attacks. all triggered by stress. Keep in mind though , this is my situation, everyone has a different story. I ate healthy, don't drink or smoke so I've recognized stress as my trigger.

• Posted

I was scheduled for December 10th and canceled. My surgeon described my condition as a 1 on a scale of 1 to 4 and reminded me even a 1 can result in a perforation. My reason for canceling is three-fold; I am in the process of selling my home and moving 1000 miles away. I suspect I will have better treatment where I am moving to. And lastly and to the original point, I am scared. I've had multiple flareups this year and it really started when I was diagnosed with Melanoma (surgery, right temple). A month later my cataracts were 10 years ahead of schedule (I just turned 60) and had both eyes done. The fear and stress precipitated the Diverticulitis and I feel completely "afflicted". I am actually on a waiting list to be seen at the Mayo Clinic due to multiple unexplained issues (muscular, joints, neurological, high hemoglobin/hematocrit, uncontrollable hypertension). I would love to believe removing a foot of my sigmoid would solve all my problems, but...

I do know it's got to go, I would just like to know it will be worth it and eliminate other things that have possibly not yet been diagnosed.

• Posted

Update: Surgery 2nd week of January. Still a bit scared, but will be ecstatic at no more pain.

• Posted

Hi Jacob, hope you don't mind me asking what hospital you are attending, as i live in the Manchester area and cannot find a GP who has any interest in helping me with this horrific disease. I am actually typing this now in serious pain and have had enough of it now.

I was diagnosed with diverticular about 6 years ago and only suffered with pain and the symptoms that go with it, every few months, however this is now a weekly problem and when I do attend the GP's surgery in pain, I am prescribed antibiotics and told to go on my way. I've been hospitalised a few times also, but no medical doctor or consultant has advised me to have surgery. It is debilitating as you know only too well and at this moment, I would do anything to have surgery to put an end to the agony.

Look forward to your updates following your surgery and all the best

• Posted

Sadly mate, I'm in America. Healthcare is expensive, but you get top class care--right away. I'm in Dallas atm. What Manchester hospital are you leaning towards?

• Posted

HI Jacob and many thanks for replying, i would look into the MRI due to its teaching status. Just need to convince my GP to refer me. I am so desperate though to put an end to all this pain, that going private maybe the way forward. America does have the experts from all the research i've done. All the very best for your surgery, just think you will be pain free and be able to lead a normal life once its all over. X

• Posted

I'm truly counting on being pain free, but it's at a cost matey...American insurance is ridiculously expensive. The insurance co's haggle with you over every bloody claim it seems like. I've had a total of ten days in hospital so far, and honestly its bankrupting me. I make £6k per month and the costs are depressing tbf. After you add the upcoming surgery in the financial implications are horrific. I may have no alternative but to file bankruptcy😫. However, at this point it doesn't matter. I cannot live in a state of constant pain. I hope the NHS will come through for you mate👌🏼.

• Posted

Hi Jacob, I had a lower colon resection done on the 19th. of December. I was in the hospital for four days. I am a little over two weeks into my recovery and so far it is going very well. It has been less painful then trying to recover from the diverticulitis flare. I wish you all the best on your upcoming surgery and a speedy recovery.

• Posted

I'm hoping for a much better life after the resection mate👍🏻.

• Posted

Please keep us informed of your progress once you feel up to it. x

• Posted

Jacob0373 How old are you? I have a plan F insurance and if it were not for this I wouldn't be able to go to the doctor for very much. I have had some issues but thank goodness they were not related to my former DD or the surgery. Still in that area but plan F pays for everything that my Medicare doesn't pay. However, you have to be old enough to be on Medicare.

Hope your surgery coming in a couple of weeks will be the end of the DD and the pain caused from it. I am so thankful every single day I live that that pain is gone. I can still remember and my heart goes out to you and anyone else who is suffering.

Keep us updated.

LucyB

• Posted

Hi Abby

Hows it going i need the op and need some reassurance i'm 62 and thank goodness for our nhs sounds horrific the costs in the usa

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.