Resection surgery

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hullo lads/lasses,

Simple question today😊👌🏼. How scared were those of you who've had the surgery? Did your mind calm down at some point? Sid your doctor comfort you etc? I'll fully admit I'm a bit scared. Advice?

0 likes, 40 replies

40 Replies

Next
  • Posted

i had gotten to the point that I hurt no matter what so I figured surgery was the thing to do. at least after the surgery, I might be pain free. And I was......

• Posted

I had a diverticulitis flare in Oct. I'm still recovering from that. My doctor said I need the surgery so I am having the surgery on the 19 of this month. I am feeling the unknown as you are. I'm wishing you all the best and a speedy recovery. I was wondering also what does one eat after surgery. If anyone has input I would appreciate your comments. I have been on a soft food diet since October and am just now starting to incorporate more fiber. I will be back to square one.

• Posted

After my surgery, I was put in a regular diet. No restrictions unless I had certain foods that bothered me before. Then I was careful. Even after surgery, you still have the disease. Wishing you luck with the outcome of your surgery. Mine went very smoothly, even though it was not laproscopic. My surgery was August 2.

• Posted

how do you still have it after surgery? They do the surgery to cut the diseased area out.

• Posted

Even after surgery you may have pockets on other parts of the colon. Though it is rare I'm told, they can become inflamed. Only 10 -15% have problems after.

• Posted

I was very scared. I am anxious anyway, but i had been so unwell. And i knew i would have a bag for 3 months, but my surgeon was amazing. You will be fine.

• Posted

Cheers folks👍🏻, I'm feeling oddly scared😬. I've known mates that had a sibling that either never woke up, or woke up 15 years later with brain damage. The daily pain and worry is at the point I'm welcoming it, but scared if that makes sense🤔?

• Posted

Like many people on here I was in such incredible pain (19+) attacks in 18 months, so I was more than ready for surgery. Between the disease and antibiotics I don't know which was worse... This blog, along with a lot of research had me ready to meet with the surgeon with well informed questions. I think the worst part for me was the constant nausea and living with a very limited, unhealthy diet. If I had a choice I would do the surgery over living with this damn diverticulitis pain and nausea. I didn't have a choice but to have the surgery and don't regret it at all. The 1st thing I noticed was the diverticulitis nausea was gone, I was nauseous but it was much different and livable from the surgery. Keep in mind though, the surgery doesn't wipe out the disease, it only takes out the damaged tissue. You will still have to watch what you eat, how much, etc. Good luck and luxuriate in the rest.

• Posted

Hi there, I had my surgery this past May. I was scared before surgery as I also have A Fib a heart arrhythmia to be concerned about. I wasn't sure if I could have a problem with this during surgery so ya I was scared. Plus I wasn't sure if I was gonna have a bag or not. My surgery went amazingly well. I had surgery on Monday, went home on Thursday and went grocery shopping on Friday although I walked slowly lol. I had about 8 inches removed and no bag. I started eating regular food the day after surgery and have been eating whatever I want without any issues whatsoever. My surgeon told me I should not have anymore problems with diverticulitis. However I will mention I have NEVER eaten crappy junk food and eat mostly homemade unprocessed nutrient dense foods. I feel fantastic and would recommend it to anyone in the position to have this surgery. P. S. I'm 60 years young lol.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. I really appreciate hearing from you. I'm hoping to do as well as you. I am 66. God bless!!

• Posted

I'm 46 mate, and thank you for your story. I too have had a mostly healthy diet, so this disease was a bit of a shock to me. Very inspirational post👍🏻.

• Posted

No problem Jacob. I wish you all the best with your surgery. And I'm sure your recovery will be speedy as well. Before you know it it will be all behind you. Please let me know how you get on. I live in Canada so it's interesting to me how other countries do things. Take care. Big healing hugs to you. 😊👍

• Posted

I might want to ask your doctor about whether or not you still have this disease after the resection has been done as there seems to be different thoughts on this. I was told it was gone. The diseased section has been removed and I should not have any further problems. The disease is gone from my body. Others on this forum have been told that it never goes away and you'll always have it so I would ask your doctor about this if I were you. So you'll at least know were YOU stand with it.

• Posted

Oops I meant YOU might want to talk to the doctor lol. Sorry about that.

• Posted

I too was told my diverticulitis would not come back, because of the section of bowel that was taken away.

• Posted

sandi my doc also told me (im in US) its gone... once its removed, its gone... no more issues, no more disease. my doc said it took a lifetime to develop and there us not a chance i would ever have to worry again about it!!

• Posted

I was told basically the same thing. It makes sense to me so that's what I go with.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.