High risk or not

Posted , 8 users are following.

I thought everyone with emphysema gets a letting from NHS or the doctors me and wife both have emphysema and not herd anything at all.

0 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Prev
  • Edited

Hi John, well it seems to me certain people haven't been registered by their doctor's surgery in the U.K as I'm sure there must be more than 1.5m patients that are vulnerable.

My neighbour who suffers from emphasemia (you would never think so) HAS received the government letter. I'm not sure what category he comes under, but is able to carry out most household tasks, always busy.

Perhaps contact your hospital as they must have records of your emphasemia

Goo luck!

• Edited

Hi Susan, That's unkind to your neighbour who is the only one who knows the severity of his condition along with his GP and hospital consultant who have all had an input in putting this list together. For all you know, he may have other conditions aswell as severe emphysema.

I cannot understand the attitude of some people. It pains me to say this but it's almost like theres a jealousy by some people who haven't received 'the letter". I agree that there are others who are vulnerable but why try to snitch on another person who, believe me, will have been fully assessed before being put on this Goddam list. Believe me, it is no walk in the park. I would suggest that you read what it actually means when you are in this list. The instructions you are told to adhere to are very different to the instructions given to everyone else. Not sure anybody would swap.

There are avenues of help if you really think you should have been included but weren't. ie. neighbours family, charities, local people who have selflessly set up a rotary purely to help people in their neighbourhood

Good luck. I hope you get what you need. Please be kind. All the best.

• Posted

What stage are you both in? Stage 1 is mild, stage 2 is moderate. Only stages 3 and 4 are severe and very severe ie a lung function of less than 50 pc.

• Posted

Are either of you high risk and come into the perameters specified by the Govt? If you don't then you won't get a letter. I have mild/moderate copd and I don't qualify.

• Edited

I've been in contact with a more informed poster regarding this "UK Letter". I find the whole idea both unfair as well as possibly eleteist. All with no exceptions should have access to health care. If life/death decisions must be made because of medical supply shortages, then they should be made by a Dr. following a stern examination that would conclude that the patient is terminal. Even then care should be rendered to those affected so they can pass with dignity.

Who set up these arbitrary medical rules and do those with enough money pass through no matter their preexisting condition/s. Does a poor man receive the same care as a Prime Minister. I suspect that the UK System was set up to benefit a Government Health Care System as in America "Medicare" (the national health care system) places fixed rules for care that don't apply to every case. Let the Dr's determine the proper care without being pressured by politicians or big insurance companies.

As for aid to more at risk people, a central contact point should be available to qualify and render assistance by appointment. Example: Dolly qualifies for assistance and sends a list of grocery needs to her local store. Her list is filled by the store when it;s her turn and the supplies are delivered by a tightly regulated and medically trained delivery person. Same for prescription drugs and payment is done on line when you place your order. Tips for delivery personnel can be added at the time of your online order.

• Posted

Tips are not that common for supermarket delivery drivers in the UK. They are not employed by contractors, they are employed directly by the supermarket they deliver for.

Not sure 'the letter' has anything to do with whether you deserve treatment or not.

It merely offers help if you need it.

• Posted

Hi Larry I should have also added that in the UK, if you do get a supermarket to deliver your shopping the items are the same price as those in store. We are charged only for the delivery which h on average is about thee equivalent of around $3 and only depends on the day you choose and the time of day. If you choose a delivery slot say on a Mon-Thurs, it can be as low as around 50 cents or even free. So as you can see you dont have to be well off to have supermarket deliveries here. I do understand that its different in the US and would be a strain on some people.

• Posted

I've just had a second letter and all that you do is text your personal registration number on the letter and that's you registered. You get a text back saying if you want free weekly grocery deliveries text 1 Box or if 2people text 2BOX This is delivered approx a week after you text and will continue until you text to stop

• Posted

Also meant to say they're working with the major supermarkets to guarantee weekly time slots for us on the 12 week isolation if you want to use that as well. Makes me so glad I live in the UK at this time. Ps my letter is from NHS Scotland but NHS England are doing it to. Wish you all well

• Posted

Thankfully, the UK government have now added a lot more people to the original 1.5 million originally on there list. This should help a lot of people. Just out of interest though, are you required to totally isolate or are you still allowed to go to the shop for necessary items and permitted to go for a walk if physically able? Or have you been told that all you can do as far as fresh air is concerned, is open a window? Thatd if you've got no back garden of course.

• Posted

It's supposed to be total. Not sure about exercise as I live in the country with loads of room all around. But sometimes you do need to go to a shop but just be extra careful and don't mention to anyone or they'll just say why are you here

• Edited

A funny thing just occured that I'd like to share. It does directly concern our current events, and it could cast a more informative light on America's current president who is supposed to be concerned with the health and welfare of our nation. Allow me to explain.

I recently viewed the movie "The Robe" starring Richard Burton. Even though it was made in the 1950's it still stands tall among the all time great films. Near the end of the movie Burton's character is put on public trial before the evil Roman Emperor Caligula. As I watched the scene it hit me just how much Donald Trump is very much like the Caligula portrayed in the movie. Both are self absorbed with power, have those around them scared for their positions in the "court", and are very shallow with their tolerance toward those that don't agree with them. Recall the scene or better yet watch this great movie again and I believe that some of you will better understand that America is not only struggling with COVID-19, but with our leadership itself. Thankfully America is equipped to survive through such poor leaders. State Governors, for the most part, are dealing with the medical supply and Social isolation issues. However some of the States with Governors (from a different political party than the president) have experienced shortages as political punishment. No matter that in the end people have/will die to this presidents decisions. It struck me just how much President Trump mirrors the Emperor portrayed in this fine classic film.

As far as leaders are concerned, I don't know a lot about Prime Minister Boris Johnson or his leadership record, but I do wish him a swift recovery over COVID-19. I suspect that he is currently getting a first hand view of this Pandemic and should return a stronger leader for it.

Personally, I'm following the "stay at home" policies that my state of Virginia has implemented. On the rare trips I make for food or prescriptions, I'm careful to wear a mask, gloves, and to maintain a 6 foot distance from all others. My state is not considered a "hot spot" thankfully, yet an elderly care facility not that far from me has become famous as 40 of its patients have fallen prey to COVID-19. Luckily it has been isolated from the surrounding community and all of it's remaining patients are/have been receiving extra special medical and media attention.

Many will find it difficult to not attend church to celebrate Easter this year, but the sacrifice must be made. Services can still be observed online as well as over television. I more than ever believe in the old saying that states that, "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure". It has never been more true than now.

All the Best

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.