compensated hypothyroidism - what next?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Looking for help - i am 46yrs female professional/ been feeling unwell/ fatigue/ headaches/ weight gain -10kg over 10yrs.bmi 30.

on treatment for hbp- 8years/ but been gen somewhat unwell/ low energy since then- but last few months been having fatigue+++sleepiness+++

my auto antibody-ana was positive 8 yrs ago-nfa.

2 months ago,- TSH 4.8, t4- 17- lab report- compensated hypothyroid.

due to the chronic fatigue symptoms- started T4-25mcg, felt slightly better, in 6 weeks repeat tsh was 2.2. but again sysmptoms was persisting so T4 increased to 50mcg.

6 wks after repeat blood test- TSH-1.2. (TPO antibody- 155)

Other test- low vit D, autoantibody positive -anti ro- ? SLE ? SJORGENS.

So, my endo consultant- doesnt think my fatigue is all due to thyroid anymore. and feels there is underlying other autoimmune connective tissue disease causing the symptoms of fatigue. maybe he is right.

but how long one can go on without answer with sev symptoms?

sev fatigue and fuzzy head is driving me mad, now got muscle ache and developed joint pain in shoulder and elbow.

not sure should i continue T4 or maybe reduce the dose from 50 to 25 ?

i cant keep up with my daily routine/ and waiting for rheumatology team appoitment- my life is come to COMPLETE stand still- no one at nhs taking ownership to diagnose..it is really sad. diagnosing lupus condition is not for beginners/ or GP 's . and i need someone to help me now not after my brain cell are packed up.

will appriciate any suggestion from anyone in same situation and any keen professional diagnostician in this forum . Goodluck.

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Also try and get tested for T3 levels at same time as TSH and T4. It is possible you're not converting T4 to T3 properly. In the neantime avoid grains, milk and soya as they impair the body's ability to process thyroxine.
  • Posted

Hi Pooja or anyone else

What is compensated hypothyroidism please. Thanks

Jean

• Posted

hi jean

compensated means- the TSH is high but the T4 is normal.

tsh-THYROID STIMULATING HARMONE is the harmone from the brain thats is signalling the thyroid gland to produce thyroid harmone. T4 is the thyroid harmone.

myTSH was just above normal/ but my thyroid antibody is too high (TPO) which to my gp / and to my endo means i will bcome hypo in future. but the fact is i have had all the symptom for past fewyears..progessing to current shutdown.

it is complicated. goodluck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.