complex gastrointestinal problem thats not getting better..

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hello,

Im a 31 year old male, who was very active and healthy up until around October 2010, I noticed i was getting slight heart burn issues and intestinal discomfort like the sensation of excess/trapped wind. I also noticed when i was consuming certain foods and more significantly, any alcoholic beverage, my heart rate would increase and beat more forcefully which would in turn, trigger anxious feelings. I tried to ignore it until the heart burn issue became such a problem it was affecting my daily life.

I was diagnosed with having Helicobacter and given the triple therapy in the hopes of eradication. This was an unpleasant two weeks which included a trip up to the hospital as a result of the side effects. The treatment didnt make the heartburn subside, if anything, it made things worse and i also developed gastritis.

I masked/controlled these symptoms with daily doses of 40-60mg of omeprazole and Gaviscon Advance so I could continue my daily routines but knew if i ever stopped taking either of these the results would be very painful. I eventually started to develop more pain and bloating in my lower left abdomen area which seemed to be exacerbated after eating as did my palpitations and again any alcoholic drinks, even just a small intake, would cause heavy palpitations and anxiety, which has scared me off drinking.

recently I had an upper endoscopy which revealed nothing more than gastritis and i was pescribed De-Noltab which did a wonderful job at decreasing the inflammation in my stomach. I also took the use of this medication as an opportunity to wean off omeprazole as i dont like the idea of short circuiting my digestive system for the rest of my life the way PPI's do. I was also told i was helicobacter free after the endoscopy and a further breath test at my doctors confirmed that. Im also not a celiac which they tested for too.

I now control my heartburn issues with ranitidine and gaviscon advance but the symptoms arent as pronounced as they used to be. The main problem i have nowadays is the lower abdomen tenderness/bloating and the heart rate issues after eating. The doctors I see dont seem to want to know about it or minimize the issue. I have even on one occasion had it passed off as an anxiety disorder !! I mean, im obviously anxious about my health deterioration but its not causing these problems. Ive had ecg's and various blood tests done a few times but they come back normal.

Has anyone else had issues similar to this? Or does anyone have info they can share on this topic as im stumped as to what the problem is and so do my docs with my ongoing health saga!

When i wake in the morning, i feel completely fine, no stomach problems, minimum bloating and heart rate is a non issue, its as soon as i start eating the problems start. its lead me to think i have either a food intolerance, an autoimmune issue, internal candida overgrowth or a parasite infestation (or a mixture of a few of these).

I look forward to hearing a reply,

Matt

0 likes, 47 replies

47 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

hi, i have been experiencing similar symptoms (but with drastic drop in mood at night) - i am being sent to cardiac team ( as my rest heatbeat during the day is in the 50's but 70's or 80's at night) but doc is also to investigate low acidity in stomach (achlorhydria) as he suspects i'm not absorbing certain minerals/vitamins. have had the other checks you mention. i was on lansoprazole for years (to protect my stomach from a strong prescription painkiller).
  • Posted

Thanks for the reply Dave32

Yes, my body is acting strangely , like its lost its rhythm, I still beleive most of it is down to the digestive disorder i have. everything else is sort of secondary to it.

One doctor has suggested i have a general anxiety disorder. To be honest, over the past 12 years i have been highly anxious for prolonged periods on different occasions (the last one was the most stressful and prolonged, over a legal issue) but since all the physical problems started in Oct '10, mentally; i was quite stress free. Im obviously anxious about whats wrong with me but i cant say im overly stressed or anxious about anything else. Or maybe im just that used to operating in a anxious state ive forgotten what it is like to be without anxiety?!!! I did have a constant nervous feeling in my chest and stomach, but im just used to that, i just put it down to the stomach disorder i have as it has only been apparent since that came about.

I certainly felt a lot worse after the last course of treatment i did for helicobacter pylori, the mixture of strong antibiotics and bismuth for 2-3 months definately increased my palpitations and breathlessness.

• Posted

Hi,

I was wondering about the magnesium oil, could it be effecting you too?

Are you taking anything for high blood pressure? Magnesium ( along with hawthorn, ginger root and celery) is naturally used to reduce blood pressure.

Medication like Amlodipine ( a calcium channel blocker) is used to reduce high blood pressure but one of its side effects can be palpitations. I wonder if one medication is reacting with another?

Ursula

• Posted

Hi Matt,

You may already have considered this but have you looked into Acupuncture? It can relieve GERD symptoms and stress. Maybe it could help a little!

Urs

• Posted

incidentally reason i mentioned the lansoprazole is because a known side effect can be blocking of the absorbtion of vitamins and minerals, which is why gp thinks my long term usage of a PPI might explain why symptoms getting steadily worse. low acidity in the stomach (which feels same as heartburn) is the result and it is not something gp's will look for as a first run of tests.

it is a tricky area - digestion and mind are linked (which is why anxiety can give stomach ulcers..).

• Posted

ursula,

I havent had any sort of alternative treatment like acupuncture although it is probably worth a try. I cant see the magnesium spray causing any unwanted side effects. With it being transdermal the body will only absorb what it needs and the rest will stay on the top of the skin until it is washed off.

Dave,

Yes, i'm aware of the fact PPI's can cause malabsorption hence the reason i take magnesium sprays. Magnesium , calcium, folic acid and b12 are the ones the it effects. Thinking about it now, i went to the doctors for mild palpitations 14months before the stomach disorder really kicked in. So i'm unsure that is the issue.

One thing that i am also aware of - and not proud of in the least - is the fact i used to use A LOT of recreational drugs during my 20s , mostly stimulants, So i dont know if that could be an issue too.

Matt

• Posted

I will see what cardiology team come up with in mid May - they are aware that i am not being referred just because of heart issues so perhaps they can tap into wider experience. if anything relevant comes to light i will return to the discussion. i find vitamin B complex and vitamin D help - magnesium made me feel terrible.

wrt recreational activities - if gp is aware of your history they will expand the things to look at.

dave

• Posted

Ok,

Ive had ECG's and seen cardiologists etc. ECG showed i had a very healthy sinus rhythm over 24hrs, bpm ranging between 57-120bpm over the 24hrs. The cardiologist said my heart is in perfect condition :-/

I find out today if i have still got the helicobacter pylori virus as my GI thinks i probably still have it as all my symptoms mimic chronic helicobacter exposure (heartburn, intestinal pain, nausea, joint pains, palpitations - especially after certain foods, dry eye, anxiety, twitches,shakiness|) .. He looked at my endoscopy results again and said my stomach looks like a healthy persons!! If i do still have helicobacter than its safe to say convential meds such as antibiotics and bismuth based compounds dont work for the strain i have, therefore im going to try the natural route again, but heavy duty this time. expensive it may be but i want rid . Its making my life a misery.....

I'll be using:

Monolaurin

Manuka Honey 25+

Mastic Gum

L glutamine

High strength Probiotics containing L Salivarius (a helicobacter eating bacteria)

Turmeric

Digestive Enzymes

High strength Aloe Vera juice

Along with a strict diet of low sugars, low simple cabs, no acidic or fatty foods. plenty of alkaline based foods and fish.

I dont know if i should come off lansoprazole to complete this course though. I know its up to doctor to recommend wether i should or not, but has anyone else done anything similar and been on PPI's?

All feedback would be appreciated.

• Posted

Im really hoping to hear what ever came of your symptoms... as I am going through an almost identical scenario for more then a year now. Egd and biopsy tested neg for h pylori.... cardio docs and even a heart cath....

Chronic left side chest pain.... fatigue... anxiety... pain goes striaght through to the back of my shoulder.

Its not muscular or skeletal. .. gi docs ruled out pancreas and gallbladder (supposedly)

If I do anything to raise my heart rate I get short of breath.... no one can figure it out

Im 32 5'10 190lbs

Ill go through spells.... weeks of constant "attacks"... then for a few days I will feel normal... but its progressively getting worse.

Right shoulder started aching 3 weeks ago which I thought was a sure sign of gallbladder but gi doc assures me my gb is fine

Anything... anyone???

• Posted

Hello Matt28472,

After lots of going backwards and forwards to the doctors with no progress or proper diagnosis i felt like i was trapped inside a system that didnt know exactly what was wrong with me but didnt class it as life threatening. Therefore wasnt really that bothered to find out the exact cause. I was fobbed off with more prescription medications written out to put a plaster over it all. Paroxetine for the anxiety and to help allievate psychosomatic symptoms, and Buscopan, as the last doctor i seen up the hospital said i have IBS and it would help ease intestinal discomfort.

Now i dont know about you, but to me, saying a patient has Irritable Bowel Syndrome is like taking your car to a garage because its not working properly and the mechanic saying to you "Its broken down". Its a very vague description that doesn't pinpoint the actual problem. In other words the doctor doesnt know whats wrong but points you in the direction of it.

This is when i decided there must be something else, some different type of practise that can help me because traditional western medicine is doing nothing for me, just seeing me as a cash cow for more prescriptions.

I went to a local health shop and they advised me to have a Bioresonance test. A test to see if i was sensitive to any substances. I booked in and went along to the test. first off i was given a questionnaire to fill out and describe my problems and how long i had had them for. After a brief look over the questionnaire by the practitioner, he said "I think i know what's wrong with you already, but lets go along with the tests". The pain free test showed i was sensitive to Mushrooms, Mixed Moulds (tofu, quorn etc), sugars, monosodium glutamate (this stuff came up as a very high sensitivity on the testing machine), cheese (mild sensitivity), yeast and Aspartame.

The practitioner concluded that his suspicion was correct. He first of stated that he wasn't allowed to make an official diagnosis, but strongly suspected i am suffering from Dysbiosis and Candida Overgrowth. In other words the bad bacterias far out number the good bacterias in my stomach and i also have yeast/fungal overgrowth in my digestive system.

The way to get rid? Eat a diet completely void of added sugars, sweeteners, yeast and added flavourings.

Yes, it is very bland but the results have been astounding. At first i felt ill off the diet, heavy bloating, nausea, itchy skin etc. but after a month or so the heartburn was none existent and i came off PPI's for the first time in years. All the other symptoms gradually disappeared too. I have also lost a lot of weight following this program. It hasnt fully got rid of the problems yet (6months into it) but from the start of it, up until now im so much better. The only prescription meds i take now is that bloody Paroxetine stuff, What a nightmare that stuff is to come off (head zaps, vertigo, foggy headedness, anxiousness). im gradually weening off it though!

Sorry for the longwindedness of this reply, but my advise is to go the holistic/alternative medicine route, and book yourself in for Bioresonance test!!!

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply... I have been checking this every day in hopes you would.

You know, 6 months ago (which was 6 months into my symptoms) I did ALOT of research and reading on the web, during which I ran across "candida" over growth in the digestive tract. And every symptoms I experience fit the bill.... but when I brought the fact to my GI doctor I was quickly advised to stay off the internet and that it was absurd to think I could have a candida overgrowth.

Corresponding with your reply... that same doctor diagnosed me with IBS and possible crohns disease.

Like you.... I think this is just a blind folded crap shoot....

I will absolutely take your advise as our symptoms were almost identical.

On my own, I started a rather strong probiotic about a month ago and I am seeing benefits digestively from

That.

Thanks... now the only question is where I can find a doctor that does that test in eastern NC

• Posted

I take alot of probiotics too, usually 10 billion in the morning and 10 billion of an evening. I try not to drink hot drinks as these will kill off the good bacteria's. If i do have hot drinks its usually first thing in the morning before my first dose and of an evening just before my evening dose.

Psyllium Husk is also important to use as well. This will act as a natural colonic irrigation and rub out any old food you have putrefying in your gut.

Cracked Golden linseeds is another one that is fibrous and aid your gut health.

eastern NC? is that north carolina, USA?

• Posted

Matt, are you still controlling the problem with the pills? I'm on new PIP i think they call them. Seems to work ok.
    • Posted

Im on no medication for gastro problems, As i written in a previous message, a controlled diet sorted out the problem. PPI's arent a good idea to stay on for long periods of time. Theyre good for settling damage done by acid reflux ,but they short circuit the digestive system. Your stomach produces a certain amount of acid for a reason. When you drastically reduce the acid by taking PPI's it massively reduces your digestive abilities, allows yeast and bacteria to multiply and can make you susceptible to parastic infections. The only things i take for gastro health are psyllium husk, around 10billion probiotics a day and cracked golden linseed.
    • Posted

Thank you. Never heard of psyllium husk. I'll go look that up.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.