complex gastrointestinal problem thats not getting better..

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hello,

Im a 31 year old male, who was very active and healthy up until around October 2010, I noticed i was getting slight heart burn issues and intestinal discomfort like the sensation of excess/trapped wind. I also noticed when i was consuming certain foods and more significantly, any alcoholic beverage, my heart rate would increase and beat more forcefully which would in turn, trigger anxious feelings. I tried to ignore it until the heart burn issue became such a problem it was affecting my daily life.

I was diagnosed with having Helicobacter and given the triple therapy in the hopes of eradication. This was an unpleasant two weeks which included a trip up to the hospital as a result of the side effects. The treatment didnt make the heartburn subside, if anything, it made things worse and i also developed gastritis.

I masked/controlled these symptoms with daily doses of 40-60mg of omeprazole and Gaviscon Advance so I could continue my daily routines but knew if i ever stopped taking either of these the results would be very painful. I eventually started to develop more pain and bloating in my lower left abdomen area which seemed to be exacerbated after eating as did my palpitations and again any alcoholic drinks, even just a small intake, would cause heavy palpitations and anxiety, which has scared me off drinking.

recently I had an upper endoscopy which revealed nothing more than gastritis and i was pescribed De-Noltab which did a wonderful job at decreasing the inflammation in my stomach. I also took the use of this medication as an opportunity to wean off omeprazole as i dont like the idea of short circuiting my digestive system for the rest of my life the way PPI's do. I was also told i was helicobacter free after the endoscopy and a further breath test at my doctors confirmed that. Im also not a celiac which they tested for too.

I now control my heartburn issues with ranitidine and gaviscon advance but the symptoms arent as pronounced as they used to be. The main problem i have nowadays is the lower abdomen tenderness/bloating and the heart rate issues after eating. The doctors I see dont seem to want to know about it or minimize the issue. I have even on one occasion had it passed off as an anxiety disorder !! I mean, im obviously anxious about my health deterioration but its not causing these problems. Ive had ecg's and various blood tests done a few times but they come back normal.

Has anyone else had issues similar to this? Or does anyone have info they can share on this topic as im stumped as to what the problem is and so do my docs with my ongoing health saga!

When i wake in the morning, i feel completely fine, no stomach problems, minimum bloating and heart rate is a non issue, its as soon as i start eating the problems start. its lead me to think i have either a food intolerance, an autoimmune issue, internal candida overgrowth or a parasite infestation (or a mixture of a few of these).

I look forward to hearing a reply,

Matt

0 likes, 47 replies

47 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hello, I'm a 30 year old female and I have been going through the exact same thing for about 9 months now. My doctor didn't think the heart palipitations and the GERD were related but I was sure of it. I was on an ECG for a month but my results came back normal. After changing my diet, I felt fine for a couple of months but after eating some not so healthy foods it is back with a vengence. I refuse to take any PPI's as I am sure it does nothing but mask the actually problem. Have you found out as to whether or not it is in fact a candida overgrowth or something else?
  • Posted

I know this thread is a little old now but I was wondering Matt if you had any follow up?

I'm a 27 year old male and have been suffering from nearly idential problems to yourself for the last 2 years and it has been a nightmare as I know you can imagine!

Literally most nights I will have heart racing / palpitations and feel sick to the pit of my stomach I have found there are certains foods I can tolerate less such as red meat (awful symptoms that last for 6 hours plus after beef etc) and oily foods especially anything cooked with / in sunflower oil which seems to be many things these days!

I had an edoscopy and I was also confirmed as having gastritis but no H. Pylori was found.

I was then prescribed omprazole and another varient lansoprazole but they did nothing and eventually seemed to make me worse, I also had buscopan but that doesn't seem to do anthing and an anti nausea drug called Domperidone which again did nothing for the nausea but gave me headaches,,,

I have read so many things online that it can drive you crazy, low stomach acid, high stomach acid, too much bacteria, too little... and so on.

I also find I can't tolerate vitamins very well (natural food based or synthetic) vitamic C always seems to aggrivate my stomach.

So any update would be very good to hear!

Thanks

Dan

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.