Complications after Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy - not warned by doctors

Posted , 65 users are following.

Hi lovely fellow gallbladder buddies smile 

I underwent an emergancy Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy around four months ago;

I had a giant gallstone blocking a bile duct, was in unbelievable pain and went from being put on a waiting list of about 6 months to laying on a hopital bed about to be put under, just one short night after a pain episode.

It wasn't life threatening, but it was life changing...

Never had surgery before and was told I would be "better in one week" that i'd feel "amazing" and "brand new, even better than before!" 

So as probably most of you are experiencing- Being someone who hasn't ever hated anoter person, after two months off from work due to post op issues, I was ready to hobble back into the hospital and punch every nurse, doctor and surgeon that had spoken or even smiled at me before. 

I had seen SO many doctors and gone back and spoken with the surgeons at my hosptial and have been lead through so many hoops. 

My post op problems include:

1. Vomiting/nausia after eating (anything, including salads sometimes)

2. Acid reflux (sharp pains in my chest- Middle and sides) 

3. Bloating after every meal to at least one dress size larger. 

4. Diarrhea

5. Extremely debilitating dizzyness/ fatigue 

6. Headaches behind the eyes 

And lastly 

7. Rashes 

Yesterday I found a new doctor that for the first time confirmed something that I was made to believe I was crazy for thinking---

!!!!THIS IS NORMAL!!!!

This is what he told me-

"Everytime I refer one of my patients to get a Cholecystectomy, I warn them that the following 6 months of their life will be the hardest.. but it DOES get better. You liver slowly learns how to produce and control bile and you begin to be able to slowly bring less bland meals with more healthy fats into your diet. Until then, taking digestive enzimes and getting plenty of excersise is your best bet" 

I hope this gives you all some sort of relief and a bit of hope. 

Reguardless of the changes, I'm still glad to have gotten it removed. 

I just wish someone had have told me this from the beginning. 

<3 >

14 likes, 76 replies

76 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Georgina!

I don't know if tou will see this but wonderwd hiw you are doing now?

I am post op 3 months and the fatique is awful still. My BP is still low and I want my energy back 😩

Just was hoping you would write and say all is back to normal so I know I am heading upwards!

Thank you,

Wendy

• Posted

Hi, I had my gallbladder out 5 years ago, I still get dizziness now, worse just before meals or when I need food, still get pain in the side which I think is the liver, after eating most things unless completely fat free, also get 'scar tissue' pains. My doctor doesn't seem to want to believe this, says its scar tissue, reflux and wind. I know the difference. I'm lucky and don't really suffer from reflux, which is fortunate as omeprozole gave me migraine, that nasty aura kind. Also get blurred vision sometimes and fatigue a lot. I lost 3 1/2 stone since getting the gallstones and have kept the weight off. Exercise does help. I also get breathing shortness which I guess is panic attacks and anxiety which I never got before the op. Have found oat milk by oatley to be much easier on the liver than any of the other milk replacements, can't tolerate soya, oat milk with froth for cappuccino too. Can't drink alcohol without lots of pain, gave it up completely for a year or too, now have occasional glass of good red wine and take the consequences. Any one else with long term experiences like mine out there?

• Posted

I had my gallbladder out 4 years ago. I have too most of the symptoms you have. Anxiety is the worst (with some panick attacks too), very bad dizziness if I skip meals (I have to eat something at least every 3hrs max), frequents headaches and bloated stomach.

I had diarrhea for almost 4 years.

Mild abdominal cramps too, but fortunately not so often.

After many Dr. visits and self experimenting, I was able to find a way to feel better, (not 100% but much better than before).

5mg of escitalopram (I started with 10mg for a couple of months than reduced to 5mg). This is the life saver!! 

low fat diet but with plenty of "good fatty" (Omega oil from fish, nuts)

yoga 2/3 times a week.

Vitamin D, sun exposure, relaxing walks at the park.

No alchool, lots of water and gatorades. 

• Posted

I had mine removed 3 years ago and I'm still having the same symptoms I had prior to removal, bloating, fatigue , dizziness real bad. Still have pain on right side since surgery and it has not subsided at all. Sometimes if I stand long periods of time or walk a long time then it hurts more. If I lean to right and bend my side it sends a sharp pain sometimes. Can't do sit ups due to dizziness. For the first time I get car sick every since this too. If I lean on a dress or and apply pressure to stomach then it applies pressure to pain on the right side. I get shortness of breath. I have had what I believe panic attacks. I have had every test done in the book to see why and no one knows. Of forgot to mention sometimes my stomach has the most excruciating pain until i clean myself out completely then pain goes away. It feels like a contraction. Worst decision I ever made. I would have just kept gallbladder because all the reason they gave me to remove it based on my problems , shape pain, bloating after eating. I still have all that and more.

• Posted

I had mine out two years ago. I have suffered with vasovagal syncope for years, but since my surgery the attacks are closer together still after all this time. I'm constantly fatigued and get dizzy really easily. It's frustrating that the complications have not gone away like they do with most people.

• Posted

A year ago my gallbladder taken out.  No pain at all just nausea and ibs-d are symptoms now.  Have cut out fats,lactose, gluten from diet but still nauseous in mornings.  Also have hiatus hernia.  I am very low and anxious about my condition, gp given zantac but frightened to take it, gaviscon isnt working. Dont want to put myself through lots of tests and wonder if any special blood tests can be taken to see whats wrong. Normal bloods were ok.
    • Posted

It's been 4 years since I had my gallbladder removed and my pains began a year after my cholecystectomy. I have been to so many doctors trying to figure out why I am still having pain, and just this year one doctor mentioned scar tissue as a reason for the pain. Something about a nerve being caught in scar tissue...it's been a nightmare. I'm wondering what your scar tissue pains feel like?

• Posted

Pretty similar problems by sound of it, had been told about scar tissue but not a nerve being caught. Mine also seems to flare up from eating or drinking, despite a strict diet. Occasionally I have wine and sometimes OK but others it seems to inflame the op area where GB was for couple weeks. Had blood tests during this but come up normal, as wondered if was liver. Pain like when I had the gall bladder sometimes.
    • Posted

Hi adrian. I am 37 and got mine out 4 years ago. I get the exact same symptoms as you. Its uncanny. The dizziness and occassional anxiety is the worst. I hate it. I must say that i am glad that i came across your post because I was beginning to believe that the dizziness was due to something else
    • Posted

Mine came out two years ago. It has been a bit of a rocky road with tummy, ibs and foods i have to restrict, but the diarrhoea has almost gone.  The worst thing is the anxiety which will not go and dr has given me something for it.  It is stopping me doing normal,daily things.  Any hints how you keep yours down?
    • Posted

Hi, I had all sorts of tests and even went to the extent of testing my blood sugar every time I got dizzy, helped a lot as you say to find others with same symptoms. I've learned to live with it, exercise helps a lot if you can manage it. Glad my post helped.

• Posted

Hi , although its the most difficult thing in the world to do when suffering from anxiety exercise helps a lot! Can't manage it sometimes but a walk in the fresh air, I'm lucky to be bordering countryside so can do it without 'people'..anxiety sufferers will understand that. Have found Buspirone (prescription tablets) is a short term fix if its vital to attend something , but better to avoid .

• Posted

I have also learned to live with it however sometimes it hits me bad (probably due to bad food choices).

I’m a muslim so I fast for 1 month during ramadan. The first week is hard (due to the increased bouts of dizziness from being hungry I guess). Amazingly though, the next 3 weeks I am Completely symptom free. This has lead me to believe that it is certainly related to what/how much I eat.

• Posted

My fiance has pains and shortness of breath he had his out 4 weeks ago will it ever get better
  • Posted

I had my gallbladder removed exactly on year ago - only 16 years old. I had three large stones but also had pancreatitis and also picked up a virus in hosptial. Worst experience of my life. Still a year later I get really bad cases of diarrhea , dizziness , hot flushes and a bit of nausea here and there. They never really tell you what happens after you get the gallbladder removed. I have nearly passed out in a bathroom in a cafe ( by myself) because I felt so ill. Anyone have tips on controlling these symptoms - I have been sticking to low fat but I have seen no change within the last two weeks. smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.