Complications from YAG capsulotomy?

Posted , 15 users are following.

i had this procedure yesterday because I mentioned to my doctor that my vision through my new Symfony lens was not as sharp as my other eye which has not been altered.  He said my sac that remained from my procedure that now contains the new lens can cause this and performed this procedure right then.   Well, within ten to fifteen minutes afterwards I could hardly keep my eye open much see out of it.   I called when I got home with my concerns and symptoms and was told to use my drops and it should be fine in the morning.   Well, it is not fine.  I still have blurred vision and what little improved vision I got from the Symfony has now deteriorated!  I feel like I have something in my eye like a lash would feel.   This is not a floater which is the usual side effect.   Very concerned now about my eye condition.  Have another appointment today to see what is up.  Anyone else have anything like,this happen as a result of YAG?

0 likes, 61 replies

61 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I also had a laser for the same reason and it made my vision worse.  The halos are really bad.  My doctor changed my eyedrops to Restasis and my eyelashes started falling out.  I am not happy about this experience.  I need to have my second eye done and am going to research the best in the US before I have another surgery. 
    • Posted

Susie and Veepee,

what type of lens do you each have that caused such terrible halos?

i have Tecnis Symfony and do not have such an issue.  I have not done my second eye yet but it is supposed to be a technis mult focal to,give me more near vision correction.  However, after this setback, I am not in a hurry to sign up again!  I almost wish I just went for lasik or Multi focal contact lenses....I did not have cataracts yet...just wanted to get rid of my reading glasses.  Now I am somewhat regretful   

• Posted

Tecnis Symfony (multifocal) implanted exactly 2 months ago.  I have blurred distance vision and the laser was supposed to fix that.  I have had the halos since day one...and they are present day and night.  I hesitated to get this lens because I play lots of tennis and now it is a struggle to follow the ball.  My depth perception is off too.
    • Posted

I had the Tecnis Toric because I had astigmatism.  I went in for the best unfortunately because I did not want to wear glasses anymore eitherneutral.  On the day of the first lens implant I spoke to another patient there who had had one of her lens implanted already and could not wait for the second.  It had worked out well for her but of course I did not ask her which type of lens she was getting.

My doctor put me on to Restasis immediately after the YAG and am still on it.  I had used it some years ago and had no problems.  Why can't us humans all be the samerolleyes

• Posted

Until I found this site, I'd never heard of all the lenses available. I still would have been limited to the basic, but I would have done more research.

I'm so disappointed and nearly over the edge. Doc acts like this is what I signed up for and there is just no way!!

• Posted

Janet are you from UK? Know a little of that system as my dad's family from there. Apparently national health there don't discuss lens options. In Canada some docs do and some don't. Even knowing options you are asked to make a difficult decision that affects your vision rest of your life and at best it's a calculated gamble based on %s. Do I play it safe and go with standard lens with virtually no glare/halos and lose either near or distance. But oh wait that too could end up with other problems and complications. Or door number 2 get a lens that could potentially correct near and distance vision(sounds perfect) pay oodles of $$$ and 'tiny' percentage end up with glare and halos. It most neuro adapt and don't notice them in time. That too could end up with more complications!

That's my rant.

• Posted

Hi. Is Restasis for an infection? Did your eyelashes grow back, I hope? Although, if you end up with my kind of results, you won't be able to see your eyelashes. Or eyebrows. Just try plucking those! I tried doing mine and I don't suggest it!!

• Posted

I am in Orlando, Florida and was not told of lens options, and am having problem
    • Posted

Not many where I live are told of IOL options other.  I think I was only given details on various IOLs as I initiated the conversation.  Due to our healthcare system here our surgeons do not get paid anymore if they implant premium lenses.  Although we do pay for the difference in a monofocal vs a premium lens and we pay for that at the hospital. Many do not want to compromise their night vision that are associated with premium lenses and opt for standard lens anyways.  That could be another reason our surgeons here don’t typically discuss them.  Those discussions are more time consuming for them.  Perhaps because I am not at typical age of someone with cataracts my surgeon did spend the time when I asked I don’t know.  

What issue are you having?   Have you already had the cataract surgeries?  I am not a medical expert but will try and answer your questions.  If you have a specific question I would suggest you post a new thread/discussion that way others can also respond with answers and it does help for new ones researching that would have a similar question / issue to yours to easily find answers. 

• Posted

Been recommended to have Yag because after three years vision cloudy.

Was never told of options for lenses.

Have not done Yag because of what I am reading

• Posted

You are right to be cautious.  Might be worth getting more than one opinion. And to ask if the clouding is due to the capsular bag or lens itself.  If Lena itself YAG won’t fix it and if it was the lens and you have the YAG it will make lens exchange thatuch more difficult (if not impossible).  

Are you in UK?  The lenses I am aware of that have this issue are the Oculentis MPlus lenses.   

• Posted

What do you mean "lens exchange"?

One eye doc said tissue had formed on lens and Yag would let in light.

I am learning more on Net than from the docs.

• Posted

Yes it could very well be as your doctor said that tissue has formed in back of the lens - called PCO (posterior capsular opacification) and a YAG procedure will take care of that.  But it also removed the capsular bag.  You’ll want to ensure that you have PCO.  In a few cases on this forum people mentioned their doctor recommended YAG but doc mistakenly diagnosed PCO when it was the lens itself that clouded.  In that case only solution is for lens to be exchanged and because they had a TAG done a lens exchange is more difficult to do. 
    • Posted

Did you locate a good doctor?

Even if I have to fly to be safe, I will.

• Posted

finding a competent doctor is the trick. I went to one who is supposed to be the best.

it was a nightmare, TECH was agitated, acted like I was an Inconvenience, and she was late to boot.

then the doctor comes in, not the opthomologist , and she was condescending.

I drove too far to what I thought was the best to be treated shabilly.

Am still looking for opthomologist I can trust.

it is really difficult to find a good doctor.

like, unless someone tells you of a good doctor, you can not trust advertising

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.