Complications from YAG capsulotomy?

Posted , 15 users are following.

i had this procedure yesterday because I mentioned to my doctor that my vision through my new Symfony lens was not as sharp as my other eye which has not been altered.  He said my sac that remained from my procedure that now contains the new lens can cause this and performed this procedure right then.   Well, within ten to fifteen minutes afterwards I could hardly keep my eye open much see out of it.   I called when I got home with my concerns and symptoms and was told to use my drops and it should be fine in the morning.   Well, it is not fine.  I still have blurred vision and what little improved vision I got from the Symfony has now deteriorated!  I feel like I have something in my eye like a lash would feel.   This is not a floater which is the usual side effect.   Very concerned now about my eye condition.  Have another appointment today to see what is up.  Anyone else have anything like,this happen as a result of YAG?

0 likes, 61 replies

61 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I consider my cataract surgery an abysmal failure. Seem to me that anything that could go wrong, did go wrong. Except blindness! However, the one procedure that didn't seem to cause problems, was the YAG.

So sorry that this happened to you. Please update after doctor visit.

All the best!😉

• Posted

Restasis is a prescription drop for dry eye.  One of the side effects is eyelashes falling out.  I stopped using it a week ago.  My eyelashes are gone in the corner of my eye (toward my nose)  I did have real thick eyelashes.  
    • Posted

Well, that stinks! I feel badly for you. It might not seem like a big thing to people who haven't dealt with this crap. Once you're into this vision fiasco, every small thing seems to be another brick in the walll.

On the up side, I once pulled out the majority of my eyelashes when I pulled the eyelash curler away to quickly and the mascara acted like superglue! They DID grow back!😉

• Posted

If you get B&L MX60; it has been shown in studies to avoid PCOs.

• Posted

Hi , I had my cataract in one eye in November, I had terrible pain and migraine after that , my eyes were constantly watery and itchy and blurred,

checked  with another surgeon he said trauma during surgery to cornea and iris He gave different eye drops and said it will be fine , it has been more then two months , saw another eye surgeon and he said cornea and iris inflamed but I will be fine , and he suggested lag capsulotomy, 

I got that done last Friday and it’s Tuesday, my eye feels worse then before, I haven’t had a follow up yet , hopefully tomm,

I am so worried, my eye has become smaller, my eye lashes really short now ,

😟 worried 😧 

Any suggestions 

Ghazala 

• Posted

I am so sorry to hear this and I hope will get better.

I had cataract surgery about 16 years ago in my left eye and got a multifocal lens. the reading correction I hate.  You have to get just the right distance to read, even during eye checkup and closer vision was no good. I had good distant eyesight during daytime but at night halos upon halos and blinding glare. I was not told a multifocal lens could cause this or I would not have gotten it. I should have listened to another Doctor, who said it promises a lot and delivers little. I could not remember who he was or find him to come and do surgery here. 

My eye feels dry and like it is swollen at times, it just feels weird, as it seems to catch on my eyelid and the tears are oily at times. It is blurry and sometimes clear but not sharp and distance not at all good. I am supposed to need YAG Capsulotomy to allow light through since aglare test caused a  whiteout and I could not see a huge letter and only a slight outline of background. I researched reason not to do YAG if there are any problems that sound like you had. It won't help halos. Removing The IOL/ lens could get the vitreous jelly in back of eye stuck to it.

I would not recommend a multifocal and would one eye (monovision) for the other eye.

I told Dr, I hated the reading correction and he said it would with both eyes having the same multifocal, It is BS! Sorry, but no way would that help. Why do they say such stupid stuff? Really, I would have worse near vision and would need a magnifying glass for really close vision.cry 

• Posted

Hi , thanks , I had my yag laser ten days ago ,not too great , still itching and teary eyes, and eventually gets blurred, I have a follow up on the 15th Feb , lets see what he says ,

• Posted

fyi that glare test I completely failed before the cataract surgery. I only saw white...nothing else.  they were like oh man that is bad.  It freaked me out.  Guess what? AFTER the surgery...SAME THING!!!

grrrr

I do use a magnifying glass to see close. I am 52 years old!!! 

Other dumb stuff said to me....you have 20/20 vision. Ha! can't see far crisply, intermediate and close not at all. can't drive or see at night due to starbursts...even in the house with lights on. but don't worry, I have 20/20 vision...yeesh

Are you doing any better??

• Posted

how do you even find a doctor you can trust? I have gone to several opthalmologists for a consult and I get examined by techs who strike me as not knowing what they are doing. then an optician comes in and they are condescending. I can not find an office that I trust. If a cararact surgery is botched, seems the patient is on their own. Wish I did not do it.

• Posted

almost a year after this nightmare. a but used to it. try nit to drive at night . basically just deal with it. found another doctor. one thing they Also didn’t tell me that once you have the YAG, they can’t ever go back and fix anything due to the fact that everything is weakened in there and risk of blindness is a distinct possibility. that being said, a friend if mine had no problems with her surgery at all. If you feel like someone is being condescending to you or they’re not answering your questions, that is not the place to be. I feel like they did try to only talk about the good things and not really warn about what could happen.

• Posted

a bit /and not / friend of

sorry for the typos.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.