Compression socks.

Posted , 20 users are following.

This is my first post on here. Total right hip replacement 11 days ago. Recovery going Ok with the usual not sleeping etc. My consultant directs that compression socks are to be worn for 6 weeks. I am finding that towards the evening they drive me nuts and I am wondering what harm would be done by removing them for say 30 mins just to obtain such relief. Or maybe someone here has some other advice ?

1 like, 35 replies

35 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I had very swollen legs above my socks, and when I mentioned that, at 1 week post op, I was told to just wear them during the night. (I had minimally invasive surgery, and I was very mobile during the day.) I stopped wearing them at 4 weeks.

Good luck!

• Posted

I think it's more like the doctors' insurance! I don't believe there is proof that the compression hose work, but some doctors will continue to prescribe them to save themselves if something happens. Strange that most of the doctors in the US do not believe in them and most in the UK do! Rather like the doctors who wanted anyone with a hip replacement to take antibiotics before having a dental cleaning. Now the American Dental Association says that is an unnecessary use of antibiotics. And my surgeon agrees. But there are still doctors that insist on continuing the practice. And in the US, most hip replacement patients are told to take a baby aspirin a day whereas in the UK people are having to give themselves blood thinning shots!

• Posted

two hip replacements in New Zealand and never had stockings. just foot pumps in hospital and aspirin. I was active from the beginning including stairs numerous times a day and had no problems

• Posted

Yes, Bridget, that is exactly the same protocol for my two hip replacements in the US. I don't know why the UK has such different requirements. To ask patients to inject themselves with a blood thinner for many days would simply not fly over here!

• Posted

Not everyone has to inject, in my case I was just given anti coagulant tablets to take. Perhaps injections are cheaper so would be looked on kindly by the NHS.

• Posted

Aspirin is even cheaper and that is what most of use in the US use!

• Posted

There may be some reason the NHS is anti aspirin at the moment or they are being ripped off by the suppliers.

• Posted

I didn't have to inject. I think the majority of people take blood thinning meds.

• Posted

is it maybe because in the US people can be sued for anything and everything? So there is probably a lot of protocol that is followed even if it isnt necessary due to the culture?

• Posted

I would say that the UK way of doing things seems more geared to doctors not wanting to be in trouble! In the US we buy our own aspirin and it is very inexpensive. So we do not have the compression hose protocol and we do not have the blood thinner protocol. Just OTC aspirin. Very simple.

• Posted

Of course under the NHS we get the anti coagulants free, the socks free, the painkillers free. Anne you are probably right.

• Posted

And the socks would also not be free in the US. Or the painkillers. Or crutches or whatever else is needed for recuperation. I think a lot of people in the UK do not appreciate all that they get from the NHS. There are people in the US who absolutely cannot afford to have hip replacement surgery because they do not have health insurance.

• Posted

Are you able to sue in Britain for millions if something goes wrong? Sorry i dont know how it works over there.

• Posted

To sue in UK is possible but it seems much more uphill work than in the US. We do have no win no fee lawyers, but it seems it may still cost you money if you lose. Probably the payouts are not as much either. The trouble is a lot of people do not sue for smaller things as everyone says poor old NHS they need all the money they can get.

• Posted

Hi

This is my 2nd hip replacement I'm 6 weeks. I got rid at 3 weeks. I was taking them off for a hour a day for the first 3 weeks. If you are up and about then you don't need them but if you are stuck in bed or sat down for long periods then continue until you can move around.

Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.