Compression socks - oh when do they go!!!!!!

Posted , 14 users are following.

Ok the truth is I gave up wearing mine at 4 weeks!!!! Confession over, but who should I ask about this?   I move about all day and have since coming home.   I am up at least twice a night and now massage both legs at least twice a day!   I have now read that some UK consultants don't use them!  

Was this a silly move?

1 like, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I stopped at 2 weeks during the day, made sure I moved a lot and just wore them at night for the next 2 weeks. I am in UK
  • Posted

Seems that everywhere is different I was told 6 weeks for both of my knees and I kept them on for that time was 6 weeks po with 2nd knee last Thursday so have just got rid of them one of my friends dies 3 weeks ago of a dvt not caused by an op but that made me a bit paranoid so kept them on 
  • Posted

Hi Lynn!

The compression stockings are used to aid circulation following surgery. They, along with the booties/leg compression things keep circulation going while you can't move around much in the early hours because you have just had major surgery.

The compression socks continue to help circulation once you can get up and move (albeit not much at first!). Another plus is they help reduce swelling. Swelling was a HUGE issue for me with Knee #1. Even after I was told I didn't need to wear the compression bandages anymore (at two weeks post-op after my staples were removed), I wrapped my leg with the bandages to help with the swelling and discomfort coming from the swelling.

For some reason swelling wasn't an issue with my Knee #2.

After four weeks I think you will be fine without the compression stockings. They seem to have served their purpose, and you are moving around to keep your circulation going.

Wishing you a much success as you continue your recovery!😊

• Posted

Definitely not returning to socks they were so painful when on.   I havent had much swelling only slightly around my ankle.   so I sit with my feet propped up and exercise at least twice a day.   dont know if this helps but works for me - and massaging!

Good luck to you as well!

• Posted

TDifferent surgeons have different ideas.

i had the same one for both knees two and a half years apart, the first time I was told to wear them for six weeks, the second knee I didn't wear them at all.

As long as you are moving about, don't worry, you'll be fine.

• Posted

I didn't have any at all. On my 2 nd now. I'm  in canada. But i are a needle once a day to prevent blood clots. 
    • Posted

Hi Anne - had 2 weeks of injecting myself in the tummy - so painful but did it.

bye socks!

good luck with your recovery

• Posted

Yes my doctor no longer recommends them and he's 1 of the 2 best in the city
  • Posted

Hi, Lynn

First of all follow your doctor's advice. Everyone may have different conditions. I only had the tummy pricks while in hospital but was advised to avoid blood thinners for two additional weeks: aspirin, ibuprofen, naproxen, vitamin D and multis containing it. I never had compression sox but wrapped in elastic bandage front foot to mid thigh at night with the ice machine. Thank goodness my hubby/caregiver dealt with that for two weeks. Miserable but worked. During the day told to unwrap, move, ankle pumps, elevate and ice. Started using those drug store ice pads..much easier and more convenient. Fortunately have had no real problems worth complaining about at the magic twelve week mark. Crazy nerve pain gone and sleeping quite well. Just trying to push a bit harder with endurance and exercise. Still get tired and need that half hour down time. I don't know if the sitting, standing or riding too long will ever go away. Time will tell. Good luck on your recovery.

• Posted

Hi Lynn, I'm in the uk and my consultant didn't use stockings, I had other things which were on both legs, unoperated from i came round in recovery and operated leg was put on after big bandage was removed from leg 12 hours post op. They inflated every minute alternatively and were on if i was in bed or just lying on top of bed, and all night which didn't help sleeping! I alsowas injected with anti clotting injections daily and hsd to continue for 2 weeks post op. As long as keep doing physio and walking bout

house and do not sit forlong periods timeyou should be fine.

• Posted

Hi Lynn, Im in the UK and have had L & R TKR in the past 14 months, and my Surgeon didnt use compression stockings on me either time - I was the subject of a little envy on the ward, I can tell you! I had the auto-inflating bootees for the first couple of days, but that was standard for everybody. Boy, was I happy not to have the blooming stockings that everyone moaned about! 

• Posted

Lucky you - you got off lightly, didnt mind the auto inflating boots actually found them soothing!

Hope you are now fully recovered!

• Posted

My doctor was opposed to them and wouldn't let me wear them. I did take a low grade aspirin to help ward off clots. I didn't have any problems. But I'm sure, like all things, age and health makes a difference in how we each respond.
  • Posted

Get rid of the compression stockings I did after 10 days I'm 12 weeks post op 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.