Compression socks - oh when do they go!!!!!!

Posted , 14 users are following.

Ok the truth is I gave up wearing mine at 4 weeks!!!! Confession over, but who should I ask about this?   I move about all day and have since coming home.   I am up at least twice a night and now massage both legs at least twice a day!   I have now read that some UK consultants don't use them!  

Was this a silly move?

1 like, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I was always made to wear them 6 weeks and allowed to take them off at night. Seems every surgeon and hospital has their own protocol
  • Posted

I am in USA, but never had one on the entire time... Although was totally different when I had lumbar fusion.
  • Posted

I didn't have them, but my leg was wrapped with an ace bandage, from top to the ankle for about 4 days. When the therapist came to the house, after I came home from the hospital, she removed it. Said it wasn't necessary any longer. They had me walking while in the hospital and I never stopped after I got home. (except to sleep, eat, etc.
  • Posted

I'm in the U.S,, had a partial medial replacement on April 26, so going into my 4th week.  I removed the compression stockings sometime in the 2nd week because they were cutting into the back of my knee, turning it purple, and were too much of a struggle to get back on.  My doctor did not require putting them back.  
    • Posted

TED hose are there for only one purpose....prevent blood clots. If the Dr says it o.k. to discontinue use then by all means do so as they sure aren't going to win any style points.
    • Posted

They actually felt good until I took them off for the first time after about a week and couldn't get them back on without hurting myself (tug of war with the damn things, which is when I  noticed the bruising behind the knee, which the stockings were making worse).  My doctor has me taking an aspirin a day for the blood clot issue, which he seems to feel is sufficient.

You do write excellent posts!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.