Compression stockings !!

Posted , 25 users are following.

I've already posted about this subject,but I am again sleepless in Essex!  I just cannot sleep with these friggin stockings on! It's been three weeks now since my TKR and I'm coming to the end of the road with them. Does it really make any difference whether I wear them or not? They are so hot, tight and uncomfortable. 

0 likes, 89 replies

89 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

1st a question.....are you taking pain meds and if so, are you taking them as a preemptive measure or only when the pain gets bad. If you aren't taking anything, talk to your primary care doc. They are generally better at finding solutions to difficult questions than surgeons.

At the hospital I go to 6 weeks of the hose is standard protocol. Nightime the hose were taken off. Make sure your legs are elevated 4" or so during the night and ice both legs Frequently. One additional.suggestion...make surevyoubare well hydrated, especially at night. Being dehydrated slows blood flow and causes soft tissue to tighten up and get rigid. Increase you water intake considerably as its generally the most overlooked areas of body requirements.

• Posted

Hi OFG. I'm taking paracetamol ibuprofen sometimes and codeine at night,  that's all they will give me.  It's bad enough trying to sleep on my back let alone wearing stockings that are tight and get wrapped up to the sheets.  I took them off last night but have them on now, I will up my intake of water as you suggest, I'm only managing to sleep two hours at a time so tired.  thanks again.  

• Posted

Hi. I was advised to wear them for 6 weeks. But at the 4th week I wore them during the day and took them off when I went to bed... I was fine.... try it see if it helps. Good luck
    • Posted

Hi Elaine

Were you given blood thinners on the ward & to go home with? I was & never wore the stocking again once at home. I only had one stocking you'll note! As they only put it on the unoperated leg!!

I do wear compression hosiery but only in the day, I never wear the things at night!! I only wear them in the day because of other medical issues! And I didn't wear them in the day until I could bend my knee enough to get the damn things on! Which was at least 4 weeks??

Take em off at night, at least you stand a chance of sleeping then!!

All the best

Marilyn

XX

• Posted

Hi I only just saw this. Yes I was given blood thinners for 10 days. I've started taking the stockings off at night,  I can't stand the feel of socks in bed! They say I should wear them. In bed because that's when the legs are still.  I don't and didn't before so will just carry on as before.  4 weeks post op for me today. One milestone over. Xx

• Posted

Hospitals differ. Wore mine for 6 weeks but took off a couple of nights. Agreed very uncomfortable especially at night. Don't know your medical history so best discuss with your surgeon.

TKR does have a high risk of Deep Vein Thrombosis. though.

So discuss don't just take them off as that would delay your recovery for sure

Best wishes Jan

• Posted

Hospitals differ. Wore mine for 6 weeks but took off a couple of nights. Agreed very uncomfortable especially at night. Don't know your medical history so best discuss with your surgeon.

TKR does have a high risk of Deep Vein Thrombosis. though.

So discuss don't just take them off as that would delay your recovery for sure

Best wishes Jan

• Posted

I didn't even get to bring them home from the hospital for my first tkr.

This stime I've worn them for two weeks, we are having a heat wave here in Australia, so hot and uncomfrtable. I wear them for a few hours throughout the day but leave them off at night.

I'm taking Xarelto blood thinning medication, so hopefully that keeps the clots at bay.

• Posted

It's difficult Elaine. They like you to wear them for six weeks because of the relatively high risk of blood clots.   I did wear mine for six weeks and was so glad to get rid of them.  I didn't sleep well during that time anyway - I guess at the end of the day it's a calculated risk!  I didn't want to chance it.  Maybe speak to your doctor and see what he says.  Hope you are soon sleeping better.

• Posted

Hi Elaine

I stopped using them after 1 week for the same reason.

Good healing

• Posted

I had them for previous surgery (not had tkr yet) and they used to roll at the top and cut into my legs so badly that the red marks took ages to fade and the area became painful. I decided this was not a good thing for me and removed them, but this was my decision and at my own risk I know and would not advise anyone else to. I was mobile and exercising which is important. I have a leg condition and now wear full length compression routinely and they emphasise it must be correctly measured and fitted so clearly the surgery ones were not right for me. Worth speaking to your practice nurse I would think as they will have your notes and know your case best. Good luck with your recovery!
    • Posted

Cynthia this is EXACTLY what happened to me twice before!  The band at the top rolled down a bit to almost form a a tourniquet that was cutting into my legs and I was worried it would CAUSE  a dvt!  I even tried cutting the band at the top but they still rolled down.  When I told the people at the hospital when they were making my knee replacement appointment they said it was because they weren't measured properly but the ones they use will be different, so who knows.  I did read somewhere that if compression stockings are cutting in somewhere then you should roll them down so they aren't doing that.  Anyone know?  You've given me a good idea though - if there is a problem, to ask the practice nurse!  Thank you:-)

• Posted

Hello yes you should always be measured. If you have fit problems as is rolling down then get remeasured. I had the latter in my discharge information. The swelling can make a difference.

Don't roll them down.

Those stocking are awful wore mine for 6 weeks. Such a relief when they are off . . not a great fashion statement 😆😆.

All the best Jan

• Posted

Thanks Jane.  I think the hospital I'm going to uses the graduated compression ones and I don't know if they'll fit differently to the one I had before.  I've just mentioned a study I found about them but am confused as to what they're saying! I'll have to read it again!

• Posted

Gosh Chris I wish you & everyone a fast recovery so you can all get those stockings removed. I had the pressure air stocking while in bed @ the Hospital. It was the leg wraps that compressed & then let go. & blood thinner injections while in Hospital all 5 times.

• Posted

Thanks Cathy:-)))  I've heard about the air pressure ones - they're supposed to be good, aren't they.  They used them on me while they were doing an op a few years back, just in the theatre.  I had blood thinner injections then but the hospital I'm going to uses tablets instead.

• Posted

No injections hmm. I have had 3 knee replacements & a total of 5 left knee surgeries on my left knee. Just awful

• Posted

I've no idea why they do tablets instead of injections.  Is this unusual then?

• Posted

Chris, I have never heard the use of tablets only the injections every time
    • Posted

HI had injections for 2 weeks. I don't suppose it matters if oral or injections providing you have cover. Ask them at your appointment. I keep a notebook to record my exercises, mess and progres's At the back I jot down questions for Physio and Doctor .

I am not obsessive just a bit forgetful post op it's called TKR brain 😆.

All the bestate, Jan

• Posted

Oh, that's a bit weird that they do tablets rather than injections then!

• Posted

So not just me then? It was not just a case of discomfort, it really started to hurt and I can stand a lot, had 2 kids with no meds LOL.

?The ward nurse was a bit doubtful as to whether I should leave them on last surgery, not knee related, as she could see the cutting in but I feared as you say, that were cutting off my circulation, the leg hurt at the point they cut in for several days after.I did wear them for theatre and a time after. Anyway, I'll see how it goes with my own, at least on the non operated leg. We are all different and I have seen from these groups that people all have varying advice from hospitals, some do not even get the Teds at all. I was a nurse myself, but back in the olden days when these things did not even exist!

• Posted

I only had injections in the hospital and went to pills after that after most of my surgeries but on onecoccassion when I went to a rehab center. There they gave me the injections all the way through the prescribed time. I think it may have been due to needing a couple units of blood post surgery. Of my 11 surgeries only 8 required blood thiners
    • Posted

This has made me decide that if they are cutting in then I'm definitely going to say something, and ask for a different size or something.  I'm brave when it comes to surgery and stuff but not so brave when it comes to saying my stockings hurt LOL!  But I am going to say something this time if it's the same.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.