Compression stockings !!

Posted , 25 users are following.

I've already posted about this subject,but I am again sleepless in Essex!  I just cannot sleep with these friggin stockings on! It's been three weeks now since my TKR and I'm coming to the end of the road with them. Does it really make any difference whether I wear them or not? They are so hot, tight and uncomfortable. 

0 likes, 89 replies

89 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Elaine , I was advised by hospital to wear then until I finished my injections in my tummy which was 10 days after operation. Your right they are shocking. 
  • Posted

Hi Elaine

I wore mine for 4 weeks and then my surgeon said that as long as i was mobile he was happy for me do stop wearing them.  I know some surgeons do not give these stockings to patients after surgery.

• Posted

Hi all, I never had to wear those stockings. I was given the shots in Hospital & I did them @ home till gone.

• Posted

I read a few article's on thisl mainly literature reviews I couldn't find this one. . Have you a lin?

I couldn't find a valid large study so went with the 6 week's of wear!!! Awful things but didn't want a clot.

• Posted

Thanks if you Google the literature the gist of it I think as your paper indicated below the knee TEDS have a an impact for TKR.

Bloody awful things for 6 weeks pleased I'm at 8.

• Posted

Yes, that's right.  It said below the knee compression stockings DID help significantly reduce dvt's.  So it's worth sticking with them for the required time:-)))

• Posted

That's weird it was deleted

• Posted

Hi Elaine, I know what you mean about the surgical stockings. It's also been 3 weeks since my Tkr . The stockings are hot but after such major surgery & not being up & about as much docs are worried @ blood clots personally I think it IS important to wear them for the required 6 weeks post op. Hospital gave me .3 pairs ( lucky me !!) I get mine changed every day. I bought a special plastic cone shape bag thing which was recommended (£18. )& makes putting them on VERY easy. I do leave operated leg out from bed covers to keep as cool as I can But still find nights horrendous. Good luck. Sure we'll soon be feeling better

• Posted

hi elaine94716 i am danie from south africa and had both knees done last one 12 weeks po and please do wear the crappy socks i also could not get sleep in and that was with or with out the socks they must be tight and hot and uncomfortable to do their job right to reduce the risk of bloodclots wich is a major disaster deep vein trombosis are serious and special care must be taken  yes it will make a diffrence bear with it regards danie61

• Posted

Hi Elaine I'm also from Essex. I also was told to wear socks for 6 weeks and I did. It's not worth risking DVT. Now 12 weeks on. Knee still hurts going up and down stairs but on the whole quite good. I had two gym physio sessions but thought it was odd that hip and knee replacement patients were doing the same exercise. Have exercise bike at home so bike while watching television. Getting back to the stockings be thankful  it's February and not July. Must be unbearable wearing them in the summer.

• Posted

Thanks Janice. It seems odd that two years ago it was advised to wear them for two weeks. You're right it's not worth the risk.  What hospital did you go to? X

• Posted

Oh really? I went to Brentwood Nuffield.  (Only because the surgeon who did my first knee operates there). I live in Tiptree. 
  • Posted

Hi Elaine

How different procedures are in other counties. I am in Hertfordshire so almost next door county wise! Lol

Were you on an Enhanced Recovery Programme?

There seem to be diverse opinions up & down the UK.

Good luck for your recovery

Marilyn

XX

• Posted

Hi Marilyn it seems we are neighbours! I don't know what enhanced recovery program is? X

• Posted

Howdy neighbour!

In today's NHS it probably means a way of saving NHS money!! Lol

I think it's a way of making sure we as patients do not hold up badly needed beds, but are fit enough for discharge.

Did you have to use Hibiscrub to shower with before the op? Or take a urine specimen in on day of op? Also had to take specimen in at pre op assessment & have (another) blood test that day too!

I had to fill in a questionnaire about post op infection, so I think that has something to do with it too. Quick discharge & infection control maybe??

Marilyn

🤔😀😆

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.