Compression Stockings

Posted , 11 users are following.

Does anyone know of a good reason to carry on wearing them after 6 weeks?  Physiotherapist was a bit 'ify' about saying I could take them off until I've seen my consultant, but as that will be nearly 7 weeks after my op, I can't wait that long.  Feel I've done my bit wearing them for nearly 24 hours a day for six weeks.  In this heat it has been unbearable, especially at night.

Your views are greatly appreciated.

2 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi lynn I too suffered with these awful stockings but the thought of blood clots made me keep wearing them for the full six weeks. I have chuncky legs and they really dug in but I think after talking to various sized women they do it with all. So hang on in there we are all with you. Good luck.
    • Posted

I fully intend to keep them on for the full 6 weeks which will be up next Wednesday.  Then they are coming off!
    • Posted

Yes thats what I did. I am going away in 5 weeks and have to have flight socks on so the memories will all come back. I am 17 weeks post op and have good days and bad but have been looking after grandchildren in the school holidays which has taken my mind off my knee. I see the consultant next Thursday and he will probably give me a date for my next knee. Something I am not looking forward too. 
    • Posted

Me neither.  Both knees were bad, but I can't even contemplate going through this again just at the moment.  One of the hardest times of my life.

Well done for looking after your grandchildren.  I looked after by grandson for three days each week before my daughter had her second baby.  It was exhausting but fulfilling.

• Posted

couldnt bear to wear them again so bought some new better loooking ones. Just look like tights. Us women can get away with that.

• Posted

Yikes both knees...I have the knee replacement coming up been putting it off for years. Had THR on both hips and just burned out on the whole joint thing.

they are with it and a better quality of life is so much better..

I have osteo in all my joints. 

I think compression socks r eventually going to be out If more knew about the easy injections no one would wear them. Course depending on health issues..

• Posted

My stockings went into storage after I came out of hospital (3 days.) No one told me to keep wearing them and I was given anti-DVT pils to take. I'm now 11 weeks post op with no problems as regards DVT thanks goodness. I think keeping active is the key to avoiding DVT. A few other issues though. Burning knees (both knees even though the older one is 5 years old.) and restless leg syndrome causing massive insomnia. Hey Ho. Getting old is not all it is cut out to be. I would dearly love to hear from someone on the subject of both knees being affected even though only one has been 'doctored'.
    • Posted

There is a tablet, I have forgotten the name of that your Doctor can prescribe for restless leg syndrome
    • Posted

Thanks Derek,

My doctor thought it was a reaction to coming off tramadol, but I weaned myself off that painkiller quite carefully. He has now prescribed a short dose of Diazapam, which is a very dodgy ant-depressent etc. Is that what you were thinking of?

• Posted

No, on reflection it was something even more dodgy probably pregabalin.

I now remember reading all the things it was for and decided it was not for me.  

Diazapam will be less of a threat.

• Posted

Interesting. The missus has been on pregabalin for a long time for nerve pain resulting from back surgery which did not go well. She does not suffer ill effects. I've taken two Diaz now and third is due tonight.  Then I'll give it rest- hopefully for good.
  • Posted

Puzzled by this whole compression stocking thing - I have never had to wear them. For three days after the op I had some wierd contraption which inflated and deflated while I lay there, and had to be unhitched when I got out of bed.  This was supposed to deal with blood clots.  The stockings sound revolting!
    • Posted

I thought that ladies were used to wearing tight uncomfortable garments to keep thier figures in place:-)
    • Posted

In the dark ages lol we just let it hang out now Derek, 

rachael , I started with a contraption thing, and stockings and blood thinning injections . Contraption 3 days, stockings 6 weeks and injections 4 weeks . It's all precautionary , maybe some areas care more than others. It can't be a bad thing , so I will keep up with them all 

• Posted

I had to wear the inflatable boot things too, but my consultant is so careful about DVT I had injections in the tummy whilst in hospital, was prescribed Pradaxa, a blood thinner for 11 days when I came home and the compression stockings for 6 weeks, day and night, with half an hour off during a shower.  They have been a real trial during this hot weather, but rather that than DVT.  Where do you live out of interest?
    • Posted

Cumbria, I had my op in Furness General in Barrow.  Great place, good care while in, feel slightly abandonned since but my GP is excellent.
    • Posted

Cute! Who does that any more? Im into stretch wear not containment...I'm free and a little wiggly..jiggly.. Beats being stuffed in a tight fitting garment with not even enough room to eat a m&m...biggrin

• Posted

Those compression socks are revolting.

thats a good way to describe them...biggrin

• Posted

Surely stretch wear is just as uncomfortable, especially in hot weather?

I'm wearing a tubi bandage for a ligament problem at the moment and they are worse than compression stockings.

• Posted

Anything worse than compression socks should be banned ..stretch knit wear is light and comfy. Not the mean strangle of spandex...Yikes!

Sorry the tubi is so hot & uncomfortable.  Ligament problems r painful and take forever to heal. I tore the ligaments in my ankel once the cast was removed the doc told me to walk in sand to get flexiblity back. Really helped a lot. Even afterTHR the muscles r so stiff walking in water or soft sand really helped. If it's a arm ligament I guess that's out of the question. But u get my drift...

Take care Derek wishing u a speedy recovery.

• Posted

I live on the coast but our beach is shingle:-) A physio once said that walking on grass would help the tendonitis I had at the time.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.