compression stockings

Posted , 12 users are following.

I guess this would have been discussed a thousand times, just wondered if 6 wks is the norm for keeping the compression stockings on for as that is what I have been told. I am quite active now 4 wks after partial knee op , on the static bike for 15mins walking without crutches for 30 mins.

Sleeping still a problem though I usually wake up every 2 hrs.

2 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yes, this gets asked frequently . We all hated wearing them, mine had to stay on for six weeks . Keep at it, sounds as though you are doing well 

Pam 13 weeks 

• Posted

Thanks Pam, I thought as much , at least they will keep my legs warm with the onset of winter. LOL
  • Posted

You are doing really well ...putting me to shame

and yes we are supposed to wear the socks for 6 weeks

roll on my sigh week 

jean 

• Posted

Hi Robert, I wasn't given stockings. As I've said on here before my hospital stopped using them last year. I am 3 wks plus 3 and only have 3 stomach jabs left. I have had no problem with swelling except around the knee itself and that is only when I've had a long physio session. Obviously you must do what your surgeon wants but I do wonder about the different ideas.
    • Posted

Hi Carol, what part of the country NHS Trust are you from? I would love to not to have to wear the stockings! Remember them from when I had my veins done. I am only at the stage of arranging the referral for the first knee replacement so looking at all these posts with lots of interest! Thanks. 
    • Posted

I'm in North Wales. Glan Clwyd hospital. My surgeon is Mr Kumar. Although the surgeons here differ on the amount of jabs none of them use stockings. I wonder if others play it safe with jabs and stockings because they're not sure that everyone will use the injections once home.
    • Posted

I don't think that is the case . We. We're given blood thinning tablets instead of injections , I was allergic to them and had to change and go back on injections , but we all still had to wear the stockings for 6 weeks 
    • Posted

Thanks Carol. I'm in West Lancashire so think it's probably stockings for me! But I will mention it to the surgeon when I meet him.
    • Posted

I think that's a good idea. In the end we all have to do what our surgeons tell us to. The most important thing seems to me to get the swelling down one way or another. At 3 wks plus 3 my bend is 105 and I'm sure that wouldn't have been possible with swelling.
    • Posted

So they say. However I;m taking nothing for granted. Other people on here have thought they were doing really well and then gone backwards agin. If I could get my sleep pattern back to normal I would really feel good, Actually having a straight right leg for the first time in years makes it all worth it. I actually now have a matchtng pair! cheesygrin
    • Posted

Hi Carol I'm just 5 weeks post op and my knee is still badly bruised and swollen...my bend is only 90 ...and now I realise it's because of the swelling I do use my ice regularly ...but after the op my leg was black from top to bottom even underneath my foot and all I was told is ....some people get that bruising and some dont

it was quite scary ...no where near as bad now but still feels like a tight band around my knee 

I wonder how others are doing at 5 weeks 

Jean 

• Posted

Hi Jean, I know the feeling about the band. That's just how I described it to my hubby. I was at knee class today with people at 6 to 8 weeks and they were all struggling. I got some horrid looks from them when I climbed on the bike, which I was dreading, and did full circles straight away. I'm sure they thought I was further on than I am. The point is though that I have very little swelling and the bruising is now yellow. From the day my dressing came off I was massaging and icing. One of the nurses actually askeed why I was massaging. You seem to be normal for 6 weeks, it's me that's abnormal. But then I always have been weird!biggrin
    • Posted

Ha Ha....In that case I wish I was weird ..

i think you are doing brilliantly I can't use the bike because I have a problem in my spine.... But I wish you all the best 

Jean

• Posted

You too Jean. I went into this knowing nothing about it but I learned so much from the people on here who had gone before me. A very big thank you to all fellow sufferers.

• Posted

I'm in Western Australia and have had 2 TKRs and both times had stomach jabs daily for a week then daily blood thinning tablets for the next 2 weeks. No stockings ever.
    • Posted

Hi Jean. I am  9 weeks post op and I have so much swelling that my GP has requested that my consultant drains some fluid off! I have only been able to bend my knee 95 degrees for the past 3 weeks, before that it was stuck at 90.  Like you my knee is constantly tight and although the pain is not too bad, the tightness and vice like feeling is getting me down😪. I have been having physio weekly and exercising 2 to 3 times aday followed by icing and elevation after each exercise bout.  The swelling is hindering my progress and I cannot peddle right round on the bike - just backward and forward. It is so frustrating seeing others who had their op weeks after me peddle the bike normally😒. Apart from all that, I am doing fine lol!!  Keep at it, Jean, it will get better - so I am told!! Xx
    • Posted

I was very concerned about my progress...like you I do the exercises I ice the knee and elevate.but not only this tight band round my knee I have no feeling in places

i was told I may never get that feeling back as probably the nerves have been damaged.

but as long as I can drive eventually I will be happy that's of course with no pain.

oh! Woe is me .....biggrin

• Posted

Hi jean

I have a few numb spots around the knee and side of leg . I am sure three lung is beginning to come back in places though . I am 13 weeks post op .

keep up the hard work

Pam 

• Posted

flipping predictive text .. Should say , I am sure feeling is beginning to come back lol 
    • Posted

The right side of my knee is totally numb. When I used the tens machine on it I couldn't feel a thing but most of it was numb for a few years after previous knee ops so I think this is common.
    • Posted

Hi Jean

Im 16 weeks post op and still have a large area of numbness to the outer side of my knee. I was warned that this would be the case pre op by my Consultant and that numbness is unlikely to change. When he does the op he cuts through the nerves supplying that area of the leg which he likened to cutting through a cobweb, the nerves are so fine, it's that which hinders their repair although I think you can get some collateral supply developing which may explain why some people feel some sensation returning. All the best with your recovery

Deb 16 weeks

• Posted

Hi Carol,

glad to see you doing so well.

saw my physio yesterday. Bend is 110 but still not getting flat yet so more exercises to stretch the hamstrings this week.

he was a bit concerned at the sideways movement in my knee but this is due to a previous LCL injury. I was hoping the op would correct this as well but no such luck. Got new exercises to help this too.

last night was the first night where I did not get up all night. Still woke up every couple of hours but a change of position and moving the support pillow between my knees seemed to help enough to go back to sleep without getting up and moving.

hopefully this is the start of decent sleep,at last. We'll see.

• Posted

Hi Johnros, I thinkwe are getting  there. My bend is 105 withhout pushing it but have been 0 degrees on the flat from the beginning. Finally had 7 hours sleep last night, took ages to drop off but I think that;s because of worrying about waking up! Took no pain killers last night cause I had a large glass of wine and woke up painless this morning! Perhaps it was the static bike that moved something. I actually feel me today but am still wary because I know there are good days and bad days but it is moving forward. 
    • Posted

You are doing so well Carol! I am keeping notes on the good things people are saying helped them ready for when I have mine done. Your post cheared me up - the movement and the sleep. Well done, you have worked hard to get there.
    • Posted

Hi Gillme, it is good to hear good news but every one and every knee is different. My whole leg was deformed, starting 40 years ago when I had a compound fracture of the tib and  fib which was made worse when I tore my meniscus 15 years ago.I should have had a new knee 13 years ago but have put it off until I couldn't walk at all. I had a fantastic surgeon who said that if I were 30 years younger (I am 67) he would have broken it and started again.However he went right down into the tibia break and has replaced the bone. Don't ask me how. On top of that it now appears that I fractured a disc a few years ago and that is why my back is a bit of  a pain.I lost a lot of blood during the op so had to have a couple of transfusions. However I was so pleased that I had a straight leg for the first time in years and was so determined to impress my surgeon that I gritted my teeth amd got on with it. Every one has their own way of dealing with this and mine wouldn't have pleased  the traditional therapists.but the results are great. Today I went out. I  mean OUT, with my grandson and walked to the beach and back. An hour in total. I know I will suffer tomorrow but I felt like me for the first time in a month, Basically,  do what you can and believe in yourself. The first few weeks  will be hell but it  will be worth it in the end. Watch for my post tomorrow when I will be in tears and agony again.

• Posted

It's even more amazing how well you have done reading about all the past issues (for want of a better word!) I admire your determination and perseverance- hope I manage to find half as much!

i am 59 and have had osteoarthritis for a number of years gradually getting worse. NSAIDs caused ongoing stomach problems and steroid injections that used to last months now last a few weeks if I'm lucky. I had had an arthroscopy a few years ago on my right knee which showed I needed a TKR which my surgeon said would be both knees as my the symptoms in my left knee that was the same. I was told to leave it as long as possible due to my age and I woukd know when I should have it done as 'my knees would tell me'!! 

That was a few years ago and my knees are telling me! I know that 'Nice' guidelines now recommend having it done before it gets too bad so I think my time has come. 

I have only been been reading these forums for a couple of weeks and while finding them quite frightening at times it is giving me a realistic picture of what to expect. As I said I am keeping notes of medications, excerises, things to raise with the surgeon when I see him and I am sure this will help me ask the right questions. 

While I have known for a few years from numerous visits to the orthopaedic department at the hospital getting injections (my GP does them now) that it would come to this I feel that i have accepted that it has to take place so let's get on with it!! I am seeing my GP next week to arrange the referral and have been speaking to the hospital where I want it done to try to coordinate it so it gets done next February.

Thanks for listening to me ramble on! Its easier talking to people who know what I am on about!!

i hope you have had a good night's sleep and don't suffer too much after your trip out!

Kind regards,

Gill X

• Posted

You are so determined, You know it's not going to get better without the op, only worse, so now is the time. Yes it is sometimes frightening to read the posts but I found that I was much better prepared knowing what could be in store. It must be such a shock to anyone going into it blind, One of my physios said it was danferous reading the posts on this forum. What!!! I and the rest of us are intelligent adults who know that the best advice is from those who have been there. Yes we all have a moan on the bad days but who else can truly understand but our fellow posters, We also cheer when the good days come. Good luck and keep smiling.xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.