Concerned about my gallbladder

Posted , 9 users are following.

For 3 years now I have been having gallbladder/gallstone issues.  I had my first attack three years ago and when to the hospital.  After a few hours the pain subsided and I went home.  I continue to have episodes (anywhere from 1-2 a month). I have had a ct scan that shows multiple gallstones and I was scheduled to have my gallbladder removed last December, but because of insurance issues I needed to delay it.  Needless to say, I did not get the surgery.  I have stopped all fatty/fried foods, lost 20 pounds and seem to be relatively healthy.  Even with that I am still having attacks.  I had one two and a half weeks ago.  What happens is I get sharp, stabbing pain where my gallbladder is.  It's tight and I have to take teeny tiny breaths because it hurts too much to breath.  Since I know it's my gallbladder, I do not go to the hospital and just suck it up and wait for it to stop.

Last night I started to feel another attack come on, but it seems different.  I do not have the shortness of breath but I have had the pains going on for over 24 hours now.  Lots of indigestion and pain.  It isn't getting better.  I still don't think that a hospital visit is warranted (denial lol).  Has anyone else had this issue?  If so, what have you done?

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Angela, firstly I’m amazed by your strength of character to have been dealing with gallbladder issues so long. I had problems coming up a year this month. By the time my operation was done on the 23 rd of July just gone. I was totally exhausted. 

As far as symptoms I think we all tend to have similar problems with the gallbladder to a certain degree. But my pain radiated all over my body and extreme fatigue, numerous visits to A& E from August 2017 until recently. 

I rang the paramedics each time I was really in pain and went to the hospital each time. This is then recorded on your notes to how serious it is becoming and need for the operation.   When they did the operation last week they said I had two of the biggest gallbladder stones they had seen. One of them was starting to block the bile duct! Which is not good. 

Please make sure you receive the medical attention you need and don’t suffer in silence. The system for operations works on those that they feel are loosing a quality of life! Due to the symptoms of gallbladder problems. 

Please, look after yourself and make sure you do go to the hospital! Let me know how you are. 

Best wishes Joanne x

• Posted

Wow Joanne!  I'm so very happy you had the surgery.  I think if you would have waited much longer it could have turned into an emergency.  You are a tough cookie!

How are you feeling now?

If I'm still not feeling better by tomorrow, I may go to the urgent care to see what they say.  If it begins to feel better on its own I'll wait to see my doctor on the 29th when I have my annual physical.  This just sucks.  I can handle almost anything, but this literally puts you in bed.

Thanks for your advise and best of luck to you.

Angie

• Posted

Hai Joanne

How are you coping after d operation? Are u feeling good?? Pls let me know cos everybody is freaking me out dat surgery will b more difficult..

• Posted

Hi there, I understand your worries! My operation ended being bigger due to the fact I had large gallbladder stones. Too be honest it’s taken me 10 days to feel a bit more energetic, but each person is different. Make sure you follow the low fat diet prior to the operation this makes it easier for the surgery. You will have some discomfort any operation will cause some pain! But take regular pain tablets and you will be a lot more comfortable. Get activated charcoal tablets they will help with the gas that is pumped into you during surgery. For bed I recommend a triangle pillow which will support you in bed and I have slept well. Eat small meals nothing greasy. Things like mash potato, soup chicken noodle, pasta, porridge. Soft healthy foods.

I truly hope your recovery is easy for you as possible! Younger you are the better! Good luck keep me posted love Joanne xx

• Posted

Hai Joanne..

Coming Thursday having the surgery! Insurance has been approved n everything's going on..

• Posted

Hi so pleased for you! Make sure you get as much rest as possible prior to the operation. look after yourself and get lots of rest after surgery. Praying for a successful operation for you and speedy recovery. Kind regards Joanne 
  • Posted

Pain is different for everyone but gallbladder pain that lasts more than 12 hours is classed here in the UK as a red flag it can indicate the gallbladder is inflamed or infected or both and requires treatment because there is a risk the gallbladder can rupture.

I think I have quite a high pain threshold and at times had attacks almost daily which like you I sucked up I didn't find anything that helped much with the pain.

But then I also had attacks that lasted 16 hours or more with severe pain that I couldn't take and went to A&E my gallbladder was infected twice requiring admission and IV antibiotics and once it was inflamed with the addition of pancreatitis.

Best Wishes

• Posted

Yes, I agree....there isn't really anything you can do to alleviate the pain.  Only time....or surgery I guess.  When I had my first episode I made my husband take me to the ER because I had no idea what on earth the pain was from.  The doctors were great and with morphine and a saline drip, I slowly got better.  I didn't go into have a ct scan at the time though because I got better.  I had a few more episodes but since I knew what was hurting me, I sucked it up and dealt with the pain.  Then I got into a car accident and had to go to the hospital again.  They did an x-ray of my spine and to my shock the radiologist noted several gallstones visible.  LOL  Two days later I had another episode.  Then I finally got the ct scan which verified the x-ray.  

Yet I still have not had the surgery.  I really need to.  My docs told me no fatty foods and I stopped them cold.  I thought it worked for a while and then BAM!  They are back with a vengeance.

Sorry about what you are going through.  Are you going to have the surgery?  I pray that you get better soon.

Best Wishes!

• Posted

Hi Angela yes, I had surgery 9 months ago best thing ever in my experience. All the symptoms I had lived with for 2+ years gone (I was misdiagnosed for 2 years).

4ish hours in hospital and no pain after surgery just discomfort for 24 hours while the gas they use to inflate during surgery dissipated. I've eaten a normal diet from day one including fat. I have increased fresh fruit and vegetable intake and have removed white bread completely. The only reaction I've had is to high sugar content foods and boiled sweets. I take no supplements other than time release peppermint capsules daily.

Hope you get your surgery soon and it fixes things for you.

Best Wishes

• Posted

I am currently having this. I read many posts on here and so on seems to say that they suffered with the pain like this.

It's made me question if this is more than gall bladder(ie:cancer). 

I have had to go to A&E a few times for pain relief as it can get quite bad at times and double me over.

I have stopped eating most things as it get's worse after eating, so now I'm nervous to eat.

I am down to just broths and fruit juices.

I still feel bloated and in pain. The pain can go from uncomfortable to severe. Even after going to hospital and getting pain meds, it never really takes the pain full away.

I have asked to doctor and he tells me that yes, it can be all gallbladder/gallstone. But I have yet to hear anyone on here say they've had pain like this for days and days.

Feeling very frustrated and nervous. I have surgery in a weeks time and am praying to god that there is some relief.

• Posted

Man!  I'm so sorry you are suffering the way that you are.  That isn't okay.  I haven't had to go to the extremes that you have by only having juices and broths.  Maybe you should switch doctors.  Have any of them referred you for removal?  

I haven't thought about it being cancer because I've had the ct scans showing many gallstones.  Perhaps you should get a full blood panel work up just to be on the safe side.

I wish you all the best.

• Posted

I am scheduled for removal of gall bladder for next Wednesday but I was diagnosed since last October!!!

I have a gall stone that is 15mm. And although I have had pain in the past, it never got to this point.

I've had unltrasound, blood work etc and they tell me this is all gallbladder/gall stone. But I never knew it could get to be this bad. I hope you get help soon.

It's going to be a long week.

• Posted

Lpsydaisy.

hi firstly congratulations on you going to have it out on Wednesday and good luck.

secondly , no it will not be a long week at all you will be pleasantly surprised I’m sure.

its generally a very easy opp.

I had what you have but a whole lot worse I had 5 stones which magically became 2 stones ?

one stuck lodged in the neck of my gallbladder the cystic duct for 3 years , yep stuck right their for 3 years of absolute agony and anxiety 2.3 cm and one in the gallbladder 2.2cm now where I was totally neglected by the nhs with my condition I ended up with a gangrene gallbladder full of pus ect ect and had a sort of emergency operation privately then went home the next day.

i like you was very paranoid about gallbladder cancer and pancreatic cancer.

but I feel that that’s just something this evil condition can do to warp ones mind especially if your not getting the help and assistance you need.

gallbladder cancer is very rare but they do find it occasionally at point of surgery or after as your gallbladder will be sent to the lab to make sure it’s not their . 

Its very unlikely to be , however I do understand your concerns as I was the same.

mines been out 11 months in 2 weeks I’m still not without various worrying problems but mine was in a real bad way and I’m lucky very , to be here.

the sooner you get it out the better and I feel you will be fine .

stay strong and DONT WORRY ABOUT CANCER EVER UNTILL YOUVE BEEN DIAGNOSED WITH IT.

let me know how you feel afterwards, you will be fine.

• Posted

Hai Angela...same here have been suffering for the past two years...I'm having multiple small gallstones n d doc told me to do surgery...I thought I will be able to prevent the attack by having bland foods but nope..For 6 months I was ok..and then again..Now for the past 2 weeks like you said the pain is unbearable n 24/7 No matter what I eat..Saturday I'm going to meet my doc n ask him for a surgery..

• Posted

All of you guys are talking only about gallbladder pain. Do you guys have other symptoms associated with pain ? like indigestion, acid reflux,headache ,dizziness etc ?
    • Posted

Biliarydy maybe because the OP was asking about pain.

You and I have both been around these forums long enough to know there are a zillion threads with a whole array of other symptoms, in many combinations, and all affect people differently no one size fits all. Nausea, indigestion, acid reflux are all pretty common I think.

Headache.. Who doesn't get headaches sometimes? Was it related to my gallbladder issues I think not. I still get a headache now and then smile

Dizziness I never experienced although I had rare bouts of lightheadedness was it related to my gallbladder issues I think not. I think that was more a stress/anxiety thing.

Best Wishes

• Posted

Thank you. Some times it's very difficult to separate out symptoms which is causing what.As you said one size doesn't fit all. Each one is different. It seems getting to root of issue is difficult.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.