Concerned about my gallbladder

Posted , 9 users are following.

For 3 years now I have been having gallbladder/gallstone issues.  I had my first attack three years ago and when to the hospital.  After a few hours the pain subsided and I went home.  I continue to have episodes (anywhere from 1-2 a month). I have had a ct scan that shows multiple gallstones and I was scheduled to have my gallbladder removed last December, but because of insurance issues I needed to delay it.  Needless to say, I did not get the surgery.  I have stopped all fatty/fried foods, lost 20 pounds and seem to be relatively healthy.  Even with that I am still having attacks.  I had one two and a half weeks ago.  What happens is I get sharp, stabbing pain where my gallbladder is.  It's tight and I have to take teeny tiny breaths because it hurts too much to breath.  Since I know it's my gallbladder, I do not go to the hospital and just suck it up and wait for it to stop.

Last night I started to feel another attack come on, but it seems different.  I do not have the shortness of breath but I have had the pains going on for over 24 hours now.  Lots of indigestion and pain.  It isn't getting better.  I still don't think that a hospital visit is warranted (denial lol).  Has anyone else had this issue?  If so, what have you done?

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

First off, you've been dealing with this for 3 years? I did it for about 2 and a half years, then I was done. Got the damn thing out even though I tried everything in the book to not have it taken out. I initially thought I had indegestion, slept for nights sitting up. What helped for a while when I was having an attack was apple cider vinegar (Braggs, with the mother). Unfortunately I eventually ended up drinking it down like it was my life's blood each time because nothing was working; you're supposed to only take an ounce of it when you have an attack. During an attack I'd end up in the bathroom, either throwing up or wanting to, crying from the pain (and I really do have a high threshold of pain), with a headache, serious fever and chills, while feeling like a serrated knife was sawing through the middle of my ribcage right through to the center of my back. I once called my sister to come give me her percocets from her pregnancy because the pain was so bad.

Try the apple cider vinegar. But I think if the docs have already seen that you have gallstones, the best thing is to get the stupid thing out. Being healthy has absolutely nothing to do with it; if it's not working now, it's just not gonna work correctly again. It doesn't matter how fit you are, if it's broke, you can't fix it. Read up on it. Try things that aren't harmful to your body. But in the end, you're probably gonna have to get it out. I'm coming up on 2 years post-op, and while I can't say it's been fantastic (diarrhea) I no longer fear that eating is going to give me an attack. And I never have to drink apple cider vinegar again smile Absolute best of luck to you!

• Posted

I am 6 day post op from having my gall bladder removed. I made the right decision.

I was having gall bladder attacks for two weeks straight, couldn't sleep anymore, eat anymore, the pain was constant.Right across my shoulders, between my shoulder blades so bad that I could not catch my breath.

Pain across my stomach like a knife was being dragged across my insides.Pain under my right ribs like a hot poker was stuck on there.

It was brutal.

I went to A&E many times over for pain control, and I have a high tolerance for pain. I gave birth with no meds, but the gall bladder pain took me down every time.

I am only days out from having surgery, but no more pain!!!!!! I feel normal again. I can eat without fear that I am going to retch of pay for it from massive pain.

I can sleep and wake without pain.

It is so worth it. If you can be scheduled for surgery, do so. You will save yourself a lot of pain and suffering that is not necessary.

You'll thank yourself.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.