Concerns over no bend 6 weeks post tkr

Posted , 9 users are following.

I have posted previously re pain after tkr, but as that was a long thread, have started this.

?After a rocky start with what seemed to me excessive pain, swelling and stiffness, a few things did improve. The extension and leg lifting are all right and sleep a little better with usually less nasty pain (there are sometimes relapses). BUT the stiffness and swelling just won't resolve, icing and elevating feel better but no reduction in symptoms and despite gentle and frequent moves as instructed, there is just no budging the knee to bend and it is stuck about 40 degrees (about 80 in hospital).

?Physio could not budge it either, so I am currently chasing up the surgeon's office as they have not called me in for a follow up.

?I am finding this difficult as I really thought thing would improve with time and following advice. Due to the terrible pain I went through post op, I am terrified ofany more surgery or interventions and the longer this goes on, the more I fear this will be the outcome as I never heard yet of anyone regaining ROM from this point without help. I don't feel I can face going through the pain and meds do not suit me or work well, the GP only wanted to take me off them, not help me manage the pain.

?I guess I must either have extreme scar tissue or something wrong with the prosthesis. I know I'm getting ahead here but I am just so worried as the first surgery has taken so much out of me and it was not long since my gallbladder surgery and before that a year of illness. I have hardly been outside or lived a normal life or been out of pain.

Has anyone ever been in this situation and what was done?

1 like, 59 replies

59 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

You are very early in your recovery/rehab. I am 7 weeks post and I don't have as much bend as I would like either. But I continue with the exercises and hope for the best. What I do know is I don't have the terrible arthritic knee pain as before which deemed my knee pretty useless. For me, all and all it has still been a great trade off.

• Posted

I'm so glad you are free of the arhtritis pain. (I guess you are Libra birthsign - same here!)

?I did have increasing pain before surgery, knee locking and giving way etc, but I actually found that more manageable to me than the neuropathy post op pain, which has been off the charts, at night especially and meds did nothing. Also I could drive and find comfortable ways to sit at least some of the time, but not now, never can find comfort. 

I look forward to the day when I think this surgery was worthwhile though!

• Posted

Update is that eventually have seen consultant and am now on list for an MUA. Bend of knee got up to 60 but never back to the 80 and it was not for want of trying! But consultant said it is rare but happens and I may be one of the few who make a lot of scars fast and with the level of swelling, cannot achieve enough bend without help.

​Not what I would have wanted - I have such a fear of anaesthetics and it will be under GA. Past operations have left me with a damaged tooth from the breathing tube and a chest infection. Also scared of pain after as the post TKR pain was unbearable and the meds did not bring it under control. Everyone says it is not as bad as the op. I truly hope so! The last few years have been so challenging with one illness after the other and 2 surgeries - was just hoping to enjoy this summer.

But I will try to be positive as the world is so full of people going through worse things I know.

• Posted

Ah Cynthia, I am so sorry it's come to this.  But they are doing their best for you and you will get past this and recover.  I'm sorry too, to hear about the damaged tooth and chest infection!!!!!  You wouldn't or couldn't have this done under a spinal?  Maybe the TKR pain was bad because something wasn't aligned that will be after the manipulation, so it might be different this time, and yes, I've heard it's not as bad as the TKR.  Do you have a date yet?  You know that you're going to have this group behind you hoping and praying for a really good result from this.  Yes, I know people are going through worse things but it's what happens to YOU that affects you most - that's natural:-)))  Try not to worry and get those things prepared and planned to enjoy your recovery as much as possible.

• Posted

Hi Chris, thanks!

?I don't think they do a spinal for the MUA as it such a short procedure, only takes minutes I'm told, so should not need much of a knock out!

I am awaiting the letter and a date but he said will be asap before it is any worse. x

• Posted

Ah right!  Will they still need to use the incubation tube down your throat then? 

Do let us know when you get your date.  You'll be like me now - waiting for a letter with a date on it for the knee!

• Posted

I think will still need intubation but it won't be for long. I keep thinking they might knock another crown out and I'd choke on it! Sounds silly but I had crowns come lose after one surgery and then just before tkr and although glued back, they make you sign a disclaimer about it!

?Hope you get your date for second op soon, at least you know what you are getting in to which must make things easier.

• Posted

Ah - they did ask me if there was anything loose - so I guess that's why you had to sign the disclaimer.  I hope you get through this time without any problems.  It's a real pain if you get a dental thing added to it all!

Yes, checking post daily LOL!  Like a kid at Christmas waiting for Father Christmas to call.  It all feels a bit like that - when I went to the GP's just before Christmas I told her the best Christmas present I could get would be to go on the list for knee replacements LOL!  And I'd still say that!  The first one was the  best gift!

• Posted

Just had a phone call from the clinics nurse. She wasn't happy with my 98 Bend at 14 weeks. I see my doctor in June so will probably need a adjustment. He told me last visit not to worry if I did. No big deal he said.

• Posted

Mine said that if I had been better he would have left it to see if it resolved but as gone backwards, it was a clear indicator for the procedure.

?Yours may get further increase by your appt. I don't think mine ever would but I had hoped for a miracle!

• Posted

Ahh at least you know to has to be done now Cynthia.

We've had posts on here about MUA & they have said it isn't so bad & really makes a lot of difference afterwards.

I have 2 crowns but at the back of my mouth upper left 6 & lower left 6. So far they have managed to leave them in place, but I always tell them where they are! I've never had to sign a disclaimer because of them!!

Chin up lass, you'll be fine! You just gotta believe!

Marilyn

XX

• Posted

Yes, I've always told them about crowns and implant, before I go in, so it's written down and reminded them at the time, and not had damage, thankfully, but only had two general anaesthetics.

I'm puzzled why ROM does go backwards.  I understand about scar tissue forming, but still am struggling to understand why it goes backwards when people are doing exercising on the bend.  Does anyone know WHY this happens?  Is it a sudden thing?  Does it happen at any particular time after TKR?  Is there ANY way of avoiding it?  It seems as though it could happen to any of us?

• Posted

Thanks, Marilyn. It does help everyone here being encouraging. And it is knind of a relief to know this is being done, even though scary. The unknown always is. I'm keeping positive (with the odd wobble!.) xx

• Posted

It is not good to lose bend, rare but not unheard of - I am in a group where someone had same. I asked surgeon but he said it is not certain. Could be something with the implant, or soft tissue problem?

​He did say, sometimes the scar forming just gets ahead of the physio exercises we do. I know my knee tightens up a lot during the night as I can only lie on my back with a straight leg as yet and the extension is fine.

​But I had bad OA, a Bakers cyst pre op and my lipoedema condition so these may all weigh in. I wonder if having my gallbladder out not that long before meant my body was a bit hyper on making scars as the tiny scars from that op healed up in days with no bother, which was great.

​Post op was quite tough due to neuro pains that the meds did not help, I had dental infection and sinus problems, my Mum was very ill and we had to have pramedics out at night and other stressful stuff. Sounds like feeling sorry for myself and making excuses but I believe stress has a big impact. All just theory of course. My bend reduced after leaving hospital and I am convinced as well, that the lack of pain control added to it.

​It is just so frustrating - I try so hard to do the bending and end up in tears as it got no further. At least husband understands - he had knee trauma in an accident and could not bend his knee for ages despite a lot of effort. It means a lot to know he gets what it is like! x

• Posted

No!  Cynthia!  It does NOT sound as though you're feeling sorry for yourself!!!!!  You're simply giving me the facts that I asked for and I'm grateful for that.  It does well sound as though your immune system (not sure if I'm on the right system there!) went into overdrive and scar tissue could have well formed faster than it being broken down, and other physical aspects making a huge difference to you!  As I read this and realise again what a dreadful time you've had I know I've been so lucky!  And hope that EVERYTHING goes well for you now.  You have seriously done your bit and it must have been so depressing struggling against what's happened!  We'll be thinking of you!!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.