Concerns over no bend 6 weeks post tkr

Posted , 9 users are following.

I have posted previously re pain after tkr, but as that was a long thread, have started this.

?After a rocky start with what seemed to me excessive pain, swelling and stiffness, a few things did improve. The extension and leg lifting are all right and sleep a little better with usually less nasty pain (there are sometimes relapses). BUT the stiffness and swelling just won't resolve, icing and elevating feel better but no reduction in symptoms and despite gentle and frequent moves as instructed, there is just no budging the knee to bend and it is stuck about 40 degrees (about 80 in hospital).

?Physio could not budge it either, so I am currently chasing up the surgeon's office as they have not called me in for a follow up.

?I am finding this difficult as I really thought thing would improve with time and following advice. Due to the terrible pain I went through post op, I am terrified ofany more surgery or interventions and the longer this goes on, the more I fear this will be the outcome as I never heard yet of anyone regaining ROM from this point without help. I don't feel I can face going through the pain and meds do not suit me or work well, the GP only wanted to take me off them, not help me manage the pain.

?I guess I must either have extreme scar tissue or something wrong with the prosthesis. I know I'm getting ahead here but I am just so worried as the first surgery has taken so much out of me and it was not long since my gallbladder surgery and before that a year of illness. I have hardly been outside or lived a normal life or been out of pain.

Has anyone ever been in this situation and what was done?

1 like, 59 replies

59 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I'm sure you are right Cynthia, stress can do so much harm in the body!

I'm so sorry you had all this to go through as well as TKR!!

Considering everything that's gone on you have done really well. Don't let anyone take it away from you.

Good luck with the MUA, as you say it is fear of the unknown! You're entitled to a wobble. But just try to be positive.

Marilyn

XX

• Posted

Perhaps Chris could do some research on the subject of stress & the affects on recovery?!

Lol

XX

• Posted

LOL!  Yes - there's a thought LOL!  Although you'd think the way I stress I'd not have recovered at all, rather than the opposite LOL!  Perhaps it works in different ways for different people LOL!  Having said that, once I got the the hospital for the op I wasn't stressed until I had the dressing leaking brown stuff just before the staples were due to come out, and then got that pain in the back of the knee from overbending, but the hospital reassured me straight away on those and just told me not to push the bend for a couple of weeks for the back of the knee.  But it's worth looking into!!!

Stressed out here now, for sure!  A year ago our year old shower broke when the hot weather came and caused so much difficulty.  Eventually they mended it and said it wouldn't happen again - something had melted in the loft.  First hot day today and it's doing it again.  I'm fuming.  Breathing fire!

• Posted

Oh Chris, that is not good!!!

Someone is in for a humongous serve!!

I hope you get it sorted soon, but why does it go wrong in the hot weather?

I know it's hot, I'm currently sitting under the ceiling fan, with one of the cats stretched out on the table next to me, BLISS!!

Perhaps you should put your research know-how to look into why your shower has gone wrong again!!

Ours is 15 years old, bog basic from Wickes! Oh-ohh maybe I shouldn't have tempted fate!!

Marilyn

XX

• Posted

I KNOW why it's gone wrong - it's a power shower because our hot water has to come a long way and something on the electric board is melting in the loft and cutting out.  They said they'd fitted it with a new piece that wouldn't fail.  Now they've told us that the new ones did fail but they've now got different new ones....   Just ordering an inflatable bath cushion - so I can have my bath without worrying about getting out!:-)))))))

• Posted

Stress can work wither way, can't it? Either as a motivator or a negative. It is said it is how we view it/ deal with it which is part true. But also our "Limits" - as like anything, we can only take up to our limits then we break down.

?Loke your shower maybe! Its is so annoying when stuff keeps breaking- it was our kettle the other day and I knew there was a spare on in the depths of the garage but it was too tricky for me and bad knee to look for as a bit hazardous due to tools and stuff being all over and the light not working!

?So, we made tea and coffee with water in a saucepan. Until daughter returned and eventually found the new kettle still in its box! That is the trouble with knee issues, you cannot just go "do" things you would have.

?Anyway, I think there is so much needs to be done around TKR and why we are all so diverse in recovery. As you hear of those with amazing results which are almost super human and then of the other way, plus all the variations. I read some posts and wonder if we had the same operation.

?Hoping everyone has a good day - it is hot outside but my home is always cold even in summer. Good thing on the rare hot days but not so good rest of time for a person who feels the cold. Take care x

• Posted

YES!  Good point!  Generally stress gets me looking up stuff LOL!  But necessity is the mother of invention LOL!

I've come to the conclusion that there are a whole host of things involved with the TKR and if all fall into place you get your dream recovery, but if one or more aspects are out then difficulties arise, and this can be anything with the mechanism of the knee or the mechanism of the body or whatever! 

Fans are going here.  It's this time of year when we wonder about turning the AGA off LOL!  But husband is ordering my inflatible bath cushion AND IT'S COMING TOMORROW!!!!!!  So after the next knee is done and scar healed I can GET IN THE BATH!:-)))))  HUGE smiles here now:-))))) 

• Posted

Ahh but it will be so very good to have a bath again!! Lol

Nice as a shower is, a bath is so relaxing!

Good luck with this repair.

XX

• Posted

Yes stress Can motivate us, but when problem upon problem are heaped on us, but everyone has a breaking point!

TKR is not an easy recovery, even for those who sail through it! It can still throw spanners in the works from time to time! All manner of things can affect recovery & rehab & even if someone had a quick recover & easy rehab on one knee the other can be problematic! It's a bit of a lottery really, you don't know where you'll be on Chico's bell curve until you're there!!

I wish you well.

Marilyn

XX

• Posted

Thanks:-)))  Apparently the engineer will phone tomorrow to say when he's coming.  Just hope the shower will limp along tomorrow morning! 

• Posted

I can relate to what you say Cynthia and understand  your worries. I have been reading about manipulations and they seem to get good results. I will be sending you positive thoughts and please keep us updated. Take care and like you I have worked hard .... we can only do our best..
  • Posted

Update: Going to be admitted in Tuesday 30th. Wish me luck. Thanks for all your kind comments, just got to get this over with now neutral
    • Posted

Brilliant Cynthia - I'm glad you're not going to have to wait longer.  We'll all be thinking of you and look forward to hearing from you to let us know how you are.  You'll be FINE and SO pleased this is done and out of the way so you can get on with a proper recovery then!:-)))))

• Posted

Good luck for the 30th! You'll be fine!

we'll all be thinking of you.

Marilyn

XX

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.