Conditions that cause bloating, burping, flatulence, stomach and bowel churning / gurgling?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hello Everyone

I would like to compile a list of conditions that could be causing the symptoms I experience as a sort of checklist to go through, and I'm hoping that all of you kind folk out there can help me in doing this.

My symptoms include the following:

Excessive bloating, burping and flatulence, excessive stomach and bowel churning and gurgling. I also experience bouts of random abdominal shifting pain anywhere from my chest to my pelvis, and bouts of nausea, which I am linking to the excessive bloating. On odd occasions I also feel quite lightheaded and 'out of it', but this doesn't happen often. Tiredness and lethargy also seems to be problem symptoms for me. The main symptoms that cause me most discomfort though are the bloating, burping, flatulence and gut churning / gurgling, and the added symptoms these cause, I'm basically a wind machine.

I've had numerous tests done with no obvious cause being found for my symptoms, hence why I'd like to compile a list to go through and see if there is anything my doctor might have missed. All my vital statistics have always been fine, normal blood pressure and heart rate, never get a fever, I'm not loosing weight, I have regular bowel movements (every 2 to 3 days mind but that's always been me) that look normal although, however I do see clear jelly type mucus now and again.

I'd be ever so grateful for any thoughts any of you might have into conditions that cause these symptoms, so I can then start eliminating each in turn. I'd like to try and get to the bottom of this as it's now been 4 years of dealing with these symptoms just to keep getting told that I'm the picture of health from test results, however that is far from the truth. The only thing that has changed in the past 4 years is that in the beginning I would only get bouts of these symptoms, with quite long spells of feeling fine in between, now the symptoms are far more frequent, almost constant, plus my symptoms can fluctuate during the day, one minute feeling ok then an hour or two later getting these symptoms, there is no pattern at all to my problems.

Any thoughts, ideas and comments would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

0 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Please Do early morning ultrasound whole abdomen This  symptoms shows gall bladder stone and secondry thing is huge amount of acid in your stomach if you suffer with second problem change to a healthy diet (no sugar, no fried food, just lean meats like chicken, vegetables, no fatty sauces etc) and take Probiotics.
    • Posted

Thanks for the reply Atul.

Unfortunately I had an ultrasound not long ago, my second in two years, no gallstones were found. Also my diet is very healthy, limited fat, salt and sugar, fresh meat and vegetables and only drink water and still no improvement. Only thing left to try is probiotics.

I appreciate you thoughts though, thank you.

• Posted

Hi Paul. You 've just put all of my symptoms down. I am sick and tired of being sick and tired.

Bloating...excessive belching...flatulence...stomach gurgling especially in the upper left...nausea...stomach cramps/spasm.

It's been a year now

• Posted

Hi Christelle

Do you really get all the symptoms I have mentioned? Even the lightheaded, 'out of it' feelings, tiredness and lethargy? I really can sympathise with you and sorry you are having to deal with these problems, like you I'm sick and tired of feeling sick and tired, it really is no joke having to put up with this on a daily basis, and for there to be no known cause makes it way more frustrating. I probably be able to handle it better if I knew exactly what is causing it, at least I wouldn't be kept in the dark.

You said you having been going through this for a year now, do you have any idea what might have caused these onset of problems for you or did it feel like it just happened? Just wondering if there were any specific events you went through just before these problems started. For me I am 100% sure, even though the doctors won't admit it, that being prescribed Naproxen while having stomach ulcers was the cause of my problems. The trauma and pain I went through on the second night of taking this medication caused something to go wrong, it felt like my stomach was being torn apart and ever since then I've not been right.

• Posted

I can totally relate to the bloating and the gut churning I am 100% convinced I have stomach cancer or Colon cancer I am prepared to die honestly I have been constipated for many many many years and I am only 26 years old I just cannot believe Ive got all the symptoms of stomach cancer it's terrible the bloating is the worst feeling ever almost like my intestines are swollen

• Posted

Sorry to hear you are experiencing similar symptoms as me, it's no fun for sure, and I too thought much the same as you in the beginning, convinced I had something going on that was incurable and terminal, yet 4 years down the road I am still here, alive and sort of kicking. The intestines feeling swollen is exactly how I feel, I look pregnant a lot of the time even though I'm just over 10 stone (66 kgs) in weight, and my abdomen feels hard and tight.

Have you had any sort of tests done? That would be the first step that needs to be taken, even routine blood tests can show, or not show, a lot and could give you some peace of mind that there doesn't seem to be anything serious going on. If nothing is found with them then you'll need to go through the laborious process of scans, ultrasounds, scopes, the non routine blood, urine and stool tests. I've had loads of investigations done on me and all they ever found was 2 separate, positive faecal calprotectin results, however my follow colonoscopy with biopsies came back normal, in fact the doctor performing the colonoscopy said my colon, rectum and terminal ileum looked very healthy, oh apart from some haemorrhoids, this ruled out IBD. I've done some research on positive faecal calprotectin results and it can be caused by a multitude of things from medication to food intolerances to a common cough virus to a mouth ulcer, anything that can cause inflammation along the digestive tract.

For you I would pay more attention to your bowel movements for now as they can tell us a great deal. Are you regular or do you get bouts of constipation / diarrhoea, are they a normal brown colour, are the formed or loose, is there mucus present? These are things that need to be investigated.

What you have to remember is that there are so many conditions that can cause symptoms such as ours, from food intolerance to a hernia to IBD, even stress and anxiety can cause these symptoms, try not to focus on the worst case scenario until you've had some testing and investigations done, easier said than done I know but your anxieties could well be contributing to your problems.

• Posted

I've had blood test urine test and a stool test 3 years ago I'm always constipated I've been that way formany many years using laxatives and straining to get relief

• Posted

I very rarely feel hungry due to the chronic constipation I've lost some weight I'm certain it's cancer

• Posted

I was also diagnosed with ibs years and years ago I also was positive for h pylori which can cause cancer and ulcers I took my medicine for it
    • Posted

If you are convinced it’s cancer then you really need to see a doctor and get some further investigation done, and sooner rather than later. At the least you should be having MRI scan and a colonoscopy and/or endoscopy. It’s looking likely that you need your mind putting at rest, and from what I can see this is the only way. If your doctor doesn’t think you need any further investigation, then get a second opinion, and if no luck there then keep going until  that one doctor agrees.

Im afraid that is all I can suggest really, I do hope you manage to get some further treatment under way, and soon.

All the best.

• Posted

Maybe it's not man I don't know I've got a appointment at a GI scheduled only God knows

• Posted

I was in the same boat as you when my problems started, fretting on the worst case scenario before I knew all the facts, it’s easy to think the worst. Even now I still wonder if something’s been missed, and ponder on whether there is something more serious wrong with me.

In truth you won’t get the reassurance you need until you’ve had the relevant scans and scopes done, and will need to go through them all, it’s the only way to be sure of anything.

Did your tests you had done come back normal? If so then definitely draw a lot of positives from that. They can tell a great deal from blood, urine and stool tests, and would possibly highlighted a sign of cancer (usually raised white blood cells).

Take the first few words of your last reply:

”Maybe it’s not man I don’t know”

Thing is you don’t know, and more than likely you have something like IBS, food allergies or intolerances, at worst an IBD, which I will add present the same symptoms as you have and can make you feel extremely ill at times, but all of which can be managed to a certain extent. Try to relax more if you can, if you do have IBS then I can guarantee getting worked up thinking the worst will only add stress and make your symptoms worse.

I hope it goes well with your GI appointment, please keep us informed of your progress.

• Posted

Yes I am a chronically anxious person with a history of hypochondria health anxiety panic attacks and catastrophic thinking and it manifest itself In the form of many symptoms I'm sure my mindset and way of thinking doesn't help my situation. The stool test out normal my blood test always come out normal and the urime test and all kind of these ive had on the rest of my body except I haven't had a whole lot of test on my gastro intestinal tract. I figure I just need a colonoscopy but I don't have insurance so I would have to pay out of pocket which will be tough. I've always been petrified of dying it's all I think about I've probably been to the doctor 10 15 times this year multiple ER visits they never find anything I usually go there complaining of other things besides my digestive tract..

• Posted

My main complaint is the bloating it's like Everytime I eat it is very intense bloating seems like no matter what I eat I even had a complete satisfying bowel movement today and after I felt better as soon as I ate something I felt like crap again I cannot deal with that makes not want to eat

• Posted

Hi Paul! What were the findings of your cfb? I had blood tests run yesterday and my protein and potassium are slightly higher than normal... and me being so health anxious... I m in tears and panicking thinking something major is wrong.
    • Posted

Hi Christelle

May I ask what CFB is, I'm not familiar with that? I'm presuming it has something to do with blood testing?

If that's the case then the last lot of blood tests done on me, which was quite some time ago now, showed nothing untoward, and I know they also checked nutrient levels too. Even my vitamin D content has risen to normal levels after being very low sometime ago. I am due another set of blood tests to be done in the next week, along with some stool testing my doctor wants me to have.

I'm so sorry that your anxieties are wreaking havoc with you at the moment, just out of interest have you been googling your high protein and potassium level results for possible causes? If so, then I can understand why your anxieties have elevated. I presume you are having a follow up consultation with your doctor about these results? I really don't know what to say other than do try to think positive, your results are only slightly raised and they could end up being just one of those things, I've had dodgy test results before, one being seriously high levels for faecal calprotectin in my stool that I was expecting my follow up colonoscopy to show plenty of ulceration and probably should have meant I was in hospital feeling terrible, however my rectum, colon and terminal ileum were apparently very healthy, plus the biopsies were clear too. I know that's not a great help, I wish I could help reassure you more.

See your doctor as soon as possible and I do wish you all the best. Take care.

• Posted

Hi Paul !

Thanks for your reply.

And yes cfb is complete blood count.

I tried to ask my doctor what it could mean but she says results are sometimes inaccurate and that I should redo the tests in a month.

High protein level according to Google could be caused by dehydration or even a kidney problem.

But when I asked my doctor,she reassured me that my results were not alarming and that I should follow a bland diet and all should be ok.

Suffering from health anxiety is ruining my life.

I m always living in fear of having a disease that doctors are failing to diagnose.

Oh and I had a stool test as well which came back ok apart from the consistency being "semi formed" maybe that's the medical term for loose stools. (Sorry for the details).

I was given nexium and mebeverine to take for 30 days.

Keep me in your prayers.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.