Confused!

Posted , 6 users are following.

So I've just been to my gp for a check up after being on my citalopram 40mg for 5 weeks now. I told her that my side effects are starting to go now and that even though I've had a little bit of improvement, (chatting a bit more, less anxious, still feel low but not crying as much) I still feel like their is a lot of room for improvement. She told me that after 4-6 weeks I should notice a difference and said this was a good sign that my tablets are working and they should have reached a peak by now.

What I'm confused about is, is this it then? I asked her if I would keep improving and I didn't really get a straight answer so I don't know if things will keep getting better as time goes on and will I still start to feel better because I feel like I'm no where near what I was like before. She didn't offer a change just told me I will need to take them for atleast 6 months-1 year.

So will i keep improving for a bit because I really don't feel like I'm half way their yet.

0 likes, 100 replies

100 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

OK so this isn't good! I have felt quite tired today so decided to try and have a nap and as I was dozingoff I got that horrible feeling of dread and panic again! And now it feels like I'm back to square one and just want to cry. I keep reading Katecogs post further up that this is normal but I just can't get it to sink in. What has happened? 😢

• Posted

Hi Potatoghost

Just been reading your initial post and was wondering whether your doctor started you on 40mg or whether you have increased to 40mg. It seems such a high dose if that's what you've started on. In either case it may be worth discussing with your doctor whether a dose adjustment may suit you better.

• Posted

i call it impending doom, at one point i was terrified of everything, scared to snap a bar of dark chocolate (seriously) ive been like that many months, it does ease

• Posted

Hi Lina

I was originally on 20mg for about 4 years and it worked wonders and felt I had my life back but after that time it seemed to poop out on me so my gp tried me on mirtazapine aswell and I felt so much worse so we upped my dose of citalopram to 40mg and got rid of the mirtazapine.

• Posted

I know exactly what you mean! Such little things can cause so much of that impending doom feeling x for me it was adverts on TV or if my phone rang or I got a message.

• Posted

My gp gave me propranalol to help with the anxiety. It does help the physical symptoms but doesn't help with the megetive thoughts. It also made me feel quite low but I didn't know if that's in my head or not.

• Posted

Haven't felt like I've needed to take a beta blocker in about a week now so I was really pleased but today is really difficult

• Posted

Hi

So you could be getting withdrawal effects from mirtazipine and start up effects by doubling your dose of citalopram. I'm no expert and don't have the knowledge of some on here but that sounds pretty horrendous to me. I couldn't cope with that. I'd be interested to hear what others think but I would still wonder about a dose adjustment.

• Posted

high blood pressure meds are good for folks who have speaking to an audience anxiety or who have heart palpitations.but too add a high blood pressure med to mental issues is Ludicrous .how ling where you on mirt.?

• Posted

have you ask your doctor for a benzo?high blood oressure meds are not anti anxiety meds.

• Posted

honestly i can still only watch certain things as some trigger me, how long were you on mirtazapine for?

• Posted

yes i agree, ive come off mirt 3 times the first 2 were easy the last time was hell it lasted only 4 months, also from what ive read on here some peoples cit withdrawal sound less severe than others ive read elsewhere i literally have 100s of symptoms, just shows how everyone is different

• Posted

I stopped the mirt about 6 weeks ago now so I would have thought that they would be out of my system by now. I didn't seem to get any worse when I stopped them so I don't think I felt any withdrawal from them but it's so hard to tell with all the side effect/symptoms I was having anyway. I've been on 30mg of citalopram in the past and didn't feel any different so I think that's why my doc upped me to 40mg this time around x so I think it would be a complete switch next

• Posted

you have to remember every time you fiddle with the dose is like starting the process all over again for most folks.

• Posted

I was on the mirt 8 weeks altogether 15 for 2 weeks then 30mg for 6 weeks this was aswell as my 20mg of citalopram and I just felt horrific so I'm glad I stopped thr mirt! The beta blockers do help with the anxiety to a degree like the shaking and the fast heart rate but that seems a little less severe than it was at the beginning. So haven't taken one in a while. The doc told me that a benzo could make me feel more depressed so she wouldn't give me any. She suggested I go for a walk! I am seeing a different doctor now

• Posted

what a lame excuse from the doctor .on the contrary it will make your process easier.hopefully your new doctor will prescribe the short term benzo.trust n believe you will feel better .not depressed like your doctor stated lol.

• Posted

all meds have different half lives so take different amounts of time to feel withdrawal for example i felt awesome for 4 to 6 weeks when i reduced cit then the withdrawals hit

• Posted

It does kind of feel like I wasted 8 weeks of recovery time and seemed a lot worse of than I was originally because of the mirt! It was the same doctor that gave me the mirt that told to go for a walk I'm so glad I've changed now. Next time I see her I will definitely ask. I still have a few 5mg diazipam from a while ago but Ive been too scared to take them because of the doc telling me they can make my depression worse. I'm trying to forget all the changes to my meds and just start from when I upped my citalopram to 40mg. Still early days! I was just convinced it would be quicker because I was told 4 weeks to feel better 🙄

• Posted

Uh oh I hope I don't start getting withdrawal symptoms off the mirt now because I am definitely not prepared for that! How long did your withdrawal last again? Did you ha e any from the mirt?

• Posted

do not be afraid to take your benzo your doctor prescribe.why suffer?

• Posted

Just worried it will make me feel more depressed 😓. I have 5 left so I deffo need to ask for more x

• Posted

ive been in withdrawal in one form or another fir nearly 2 years, adding meds and changing doses will mess with your CNS so be careful

• Posted

i know for a fact the benzo will not make you depress .i would be more worry about changing meds or increasing meds.

• Posted

Hi Potatoghost

From what others have said about mirt on the net withdrawal effects kick in after approx 5 days to a week with heightened anxiety and can take weeks to dissipate so slow withdrawal is advised. Similarly, when I foolishly came off citalopram a while back cold turkey I felt great for a week and then all hell broke loose. I tried propranolol with citalopram too at one point because my doctor wouldn't give me a benzo but it just added to the side effects. I didn't know what was causing what in the end. Now I'm just on Citalopram. I think your body needs time to adjust to the withdrawal and start up effects.

• Posted

I'll check out the mirtazapine withdrawal page on facebook x thank you

• Posted

I'll deffo give them a go then when I'm struggling x I wonder why they told me it would? Probably so they didn't have to give me any tbh

• Posted

Thank you Lina x sounds like what you went through was not pleasant at all. I didn't realise I might still be suffering from withdrawal from mirtazapine 😓.

So I should definitely keep going with the citalopram then and wait for everything to settle a bit more. I thought my mood would have lifted a bit more by week 5 so feeling very disheartened with all of this atm. I don't know whether I'm coming or going of you know what I mean x

• Posted

I know exactly what you mean. I hope you start to feel better very soon. Take care😊

• Posted

Cheeky isn't it. I'm going to see if I can get some more. Fingers crossed x

• Posted

i tell you one thing without that benzo i would of ended in a mental institution.at first they wouldnt give it to me after five months of suffering they finally approve my benzo. only use it for one year .the lowest dose .i just stop taking it one day no withdrawl no drama for me .

• Posted

It took them that long to give it to you?! Why would anyone let you suffer like that? Sounds like that was a pretty hard time for you. Was this the same time you were taking the citalopram? I've heard that benzo withdrawal is really bad but I've spoken to quite a lot of people who have never had a problem coming off. X

• Posted

yes it was during my ssri withdrawal and celexa start up.the usa is iffy about giving benzo.and the withdrawal from benzo dramatic when the doses are high and taking a few times a day.but i had no problem.

• Posted

That's good that u didn't have a hard time coming off them. I think it's a little less strict here in the uk. When I was in my teens I was given benzo and tramadol for pain and I used to eat them like skittles even though the pain had long gone. Just to get high . Back then I used to go to the doctor for more and he would be like "yeah sure have as many as you like pretty much" I've definitely grown up a lot since then lol. Never had any withdrawal stopping them both.

• Posted

not anymore docs here in the uk rarely give them out as theyre so addictive even short term, i have 42 untouched diazepam i wont take them as took them for 5 days and had terrible withdrawals for months also they make you feel down when theyre wearing off, of course everyone is different but personally its a no from me! also cns is your central nervous system

• Posted

well i be dammed.then you should already know the benzo does not give depression.bite the bullet and dont suffer.

• Posted

thank goodness i dont have an addictive personality.i cant even drink a glass of wine .lol

• Posted

Hahah same here lol if I drink I can't stop so I don't drink. I think the last time I drank I bet somone I could climb a wall with my lips 😂was rather embarrassing! You know what? I'm gonna treat myself to one tomorrow if it's another rough day and hopefully relax for a little while.

• Posted

I'll give you my address and send them to me! Just kidding. It's mad how so many people have different reactions isn't it. You're right about them not prescribing them anymore they seem to have really got strict with them because of the withdrawals. My partners brother told her that he found coming off benzos was harder than coming off heroin!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.