Confused!

Posted , 6 users are following.

So I've just been to my gp for a check up after being on my citalopram 40mg for 5 weeks now. I told her that my side effects are starting to go now and that even though I've had a little bit of improvement, (chatting a bit more, less anxious, still feel low but not crying as much) I still feel like their is a lot of room for improvement. She told me that after 4-6 weeks I should notice a difference and said this was a good sign that my tablets are working and they should have reached a peak by now.

What I'm confused about is, is this it then? I asked her if I would keep improving and I didn't really get a straight answer so I don't know if things will keep getting better as time goes on and will I still start to feel better because I feel like I'm no where near what I was like before. She didn't offer a change just told me I will need to take them for atleast 6 months-1 year.

So will i keep improving for a bit because I really don't feel like I'm half way their yet.

0 likes, 100 replies

100 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I've been on citalopram a total of 7 months now, I was initially on 10mg, they increased me to 20mg and I stayed on that for 5.5 months. I found that the 20mg seemed much to high for me, it made me numb emotionally, and just felt weird so I reduced to 15mg, and so far and the past week I feel much more like my old self. So it's really a guessing game as to the right dose, and how long it takes to feel 'much' better. You will have periods of feeling better, and then a dip, then feeling better, to where the dips happen rarely and the majority of time you feel good. Don't get discouraged if you have a dip just bare through it and tell yourself its temp and you're still on the path to feeling better!

My doctor also told me 6-8 weeks for full effect, that is so far from true for most people, most of the time. I would say you should 'start' having some good days by then, and they will continue to increase for months, some people have said up to 7-8 months. So just give it time, stick with it.

Best Wishes!

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply x it's a relief to hear you say that it takes longer than what the doc said because I'm not gonna lie it scared me that I still wasn't in a good place after 5 weeks. I'm having a bit of a blip right now actually. feels different, like I need to cry and feel quite sad but not like it was a few weeks ago where I would definitely be crying and feel complete dispair. It feels softer than that if that makes sense? I'm really glad that you are starting to feel more like yourself and hopefully no more blips for you!! Thank you for your support and advice about the blips because they are so disheartening and your post has made me feel a little more at ease. X

• Posted

I have anxiety and depression so the past few months it's comes in waves of despair. Like I'm stuck in a hole that I can't get out of and even the tiniest little things could set me off. It was like an adrenaline rush where my anxiety would spike and so would the depression at the same time. It's a lot less now for the past week, haven't got upset in about a week but just feel quite low and down. It's hard to explain x hope that makes sense lol

• Posted

i totally understand the adrenaline drama. i had that for 8months . it would start in my stomach and it would end on top of my head the most bizzare feeling in the world.

• Posted

It's horrible isn't it! It's like it would come in waves every 20 minutes or so. Did you have the feeling of like, despair is the only way I can describe it, aswell? I'm shuddering just thinking about it lol

• Posted

i still have that now 😦 sometimes tears help as they release dopamine google it x

• Posted

Yeah definitely, always feel a bit better after a cry lol. I just wasn't expecting to feel teary this far in, but I think aswell because I've had a few ok/good days it worried me a little bit and I thought oh no! But I'm going to try and take your advice and try to not let it worry me too (if I can lol)

• Posted

bless you, yes its one step forward two steps back but you will get there x

• Posted

Thank you so much. Its such a help knowing people are supportive and even when they have their own stuff going on they are still willing to help and advise You have definitely helped a difficult day be more manageable and less scary so thank you 😊

• Posted

yes despair is definitely the correct definition.like omg what is happening why do i feel like this.etc.

• Posted

Ah, the good old doctors advice again …….

It may be that the meds reach their peak by 4-6 weeks (I’m not a medic so have no idea) but that doesn’t mean you will feel well by 4-6 weeks.

These meds like all SSRI’s are slow working - it took me 6 months to feel better. No this is not your maximum - you have a long way to go yet. 4-6 weeks is really early.

Even though you may feel some improvement already, don’t be fooled, because usually recovery comes and goes - and that means the symptoms come back time after time (setbacks / blips). This is completely normal and is just the way the meds work.

So yes - you will keep improving, but as said, don’t be too surprised if you start feeling ill again. Its perfectly normal. Just keep going and those setbacks will finally cease to come.

Don’t be in a rush either - let recovery come and go and you’ll find over time you’ll feel better and better.

• Posted

Wow! The real Katecogs! Hope you're good 😊 You are like a celebrity on here! I've heard so many people talk about how much you've helped them and what great advice you have given to people on here and how supportive you are which I think is amazing! x thank you for taking the time to reply. You have definitely put my mind at ease knowing that I'm still on early days and I still have a lot of improving to do. I'll try my best to remember that if I do feel like I'm going backwards or having a blip to make sure I read your reply again and remember it's normal. I'm definitely feeling relieved that I will keep improving as time goes by and it's not how I will feel in the future. Xxx oh my I'm starstruck 😂😊

• Posted

Mwahahahahaha …… 😅 😅 me, celeb? Just an ordinary pleb lol.

Anxiety is a strange condition to have and its just as strange when recovering, as it foxes people into thinking they’re not getting better. But the meds are working despite how bad you might feel.

Glad you’re feeling some relief and yes, it should improve much more over time.

Let us know how it goes.

ps ……. shall I send you my autograph hahaha 🤣

• Posted

😂 Hahah yes please send it! It's just nice that so many people speak so highly of you on here and it sounds like you have helped a lot of people. X well I've woke up today feeling a bit pants tbh. Feel pretty low today and anxiety is a bit worse than it has been for the past few days. Not sure why I assume it's just a tiny blip and like you said in your last post that recovery comes and goes so I'm trying to keep positive and wait for it to pass x it's mad how your mind set can change when a rough day happens isn't it 😕 x let's hope tomorrow is a little better x thank you Katekogs

• Posted

📖 🖍 .... there you go 🤣

I've just seen people go through what I did many moons ago ... thinking the same, going down the wrong path, feeling the same feelings ..... so just like to lend a hand and pass on what I learnt as I recovered.

Yes the anxiety will come and go, and seems for no reason. Its actually your reaction to it that counts - freak about it, try and run away, try and stop it and it'll just cling all the more - but letting it be, work with it, take it with you (however bad it feels), acknowledge it and don't start analysing it then it will lose its power and ease off. Its not easy, but thats the way forward.

Also don't overdo things - when you've got anxiety it means your body has reached its overload with stress and your body is tired, so as you recover take things easy, slow yourself down and be gentle on yourself.

Yes your mindset will change a lot - when you're having good times your body will feel calm and your thoughts light and lifting - then when anxiety hits you it seems all you've felt yesterday has gone out the window today as you feel frightened, think negative thoughts and can't see a way forward.

Its just anxiety that brings these effects with it - so an anxious body = an anxious mind and a calm body = a calm mind.

One more thing - don't hope tomorrow is a good day, because if it isn't then you'll feel even more disappointed and frustrated. Instead accept whatever comes and just know that the anxiety will pass ..... maybe tomorrow, maybe next week or the week after. Let it come and go as it pleases.

K x

• Posted

Thank you Katecogs! For the autograph and the advice 😂 what you are saying does make complete sense. It does feel like it comes on for no reason whatsoever. I'm always worse in the mornings and always seem a little better closer to the evening. I find it very strange. I'm definitely going to try to just let the anxiety be and ride the wave of anxiety so to speak. It's gonna be difficult but I have to try. That's actually good advice about not hoping tomorrow will be a good day as I will just feel let down if I don't feel great tomorrow. Its so tiring when you think you are making progress then BAM! Feel like you're going backwards again. I just want to feel better right now! Lol x thank you Katecogs 😊

• Posted

Anxiety is always worse in the mornings - apparently its to do with Cortisol being at its highest first thing when waking.

Bad mornings and calmer evenings is exactly how recovery worked for me - by the evening I’d feel a little calmer, and over time I began to look forward to my evenings as they got better. Those good feelings gradually crept into more into my day so I’d start feeling more at ease earlier and earlier - and around 6 months I finally started waking with no anxiety. Throughout that time I still had blips where I felt rubbish all day, but those days passed.

Yes it is tiring - its always 3 steps forward and 2 steps back … all the way.

You will get better - just let recovery come to you - it will.

K x

• Posted

Sorry Katecogs I didn't realise you had replied. Because I'm a dum dum! Thank you again you just seem to know exactly what to say to put my mind at ease. Sometimes evenings are bad too just like you've said but as a general rule they are good most of the time now. We'll not good but easier lol and I do look forward to getting into bed with a big sigh and watching YouTube videos as it's a lot easier to occupy myself then. It's so hard to realise what progress we make because of how slow it is but your post has given me a little more confidence that it will start to improve x I'm glad that you are doing well and you managed to feel better yourself and hopefully you still feel great now! 😊

• Posted

Hi - no worries, its easy to miss posts. Happens to me too. Sorry for the delay too - been away on holiday.

I think when you’ve been through it and recovered, you can see an answer to every side effect, situation etc because you’re on top of it looking down - when you’re ill and in the middle of it all you can’t see your way through at all (can’t see the wood for the trees).

Yes the evenings will feel calmer, but you won’t be entirely free of anxiety yet. That’ll come over time - my evenings and days got better gradually.

And yes, recovery is so slow and you won’t notice huge leaps and bounds forward because it creeps up on you. We expect recovery to be different - for the anxiety to go and so we can deal with other side effects, but it works the other way round - side effects start to ease bit by bit first and it seems you take anxiety with you throughout recovery as it eases off.

Yes thanks I’m doing well - have been recovered for many years now and came off meds sometime ago too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.