Congenital dislocation of the hip leading to THR

Posted , 13 users are following.

I'm wondering how many other people have had to have THRs in later life following being born with congenital dislocation of the hip?  I believe that this is not the same as dysplasia but may be similar. 

I was born in 1953 and at age 18 months was discovered to have CDH on both sides with the left hip socket being virtually non-existant.  This had shown up because I was not walking properly and was dragging my left leg.  I was then put into 'frog' plaster for 18 months followed by leg irons until I was nearly 4.  I suffered pain in both legs, couldn't run and walked with a limp all my life until at age 40 both hips joints disintegrated to bone on bone.  By this time I was walking with a stick and on cold, damp days couldn't get out of bed.  In the meantime, however I had had two children born naturally (my OS couldn't believe it when I told him!!!)when I was in my 20s.

Anyway, when I was 40 I had both hips replaced - 11 weeks apart and after that my life changed so much.  I was able to walk for miles, climb hills, dance, wear incredibly high heels(!) - all the things I hadn't been able to do for 40 years! 

So, I've now had 20 years' of all that but in July this year, after rock'n'rollin all night at my daugher's wedding, my right hip decided to disintegrate and I had the revision just four weeks ago.  I'm hoping that once I've recovered from this I'll be able to enjoy life just as much as I did before.

I'd be interested to hear anyone else's stories of CDH.

Thanks for listening,

Stella smile

4 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Stella! I am new to this forum. I have had CDH diagnosed in the USA-way too late. I limped, had pain walking as a child. By the time I saw an Orthopedist-I had no left hip socket, and my femur bone was not in a socket. I spent 3 whole Months in the hospital. For 6 weeks-I had my left leg bandaged and there were 10 lb. weights-to help pull down my femur bone. Then surgery. I got along ok-rill I turned 25. Then I had a primary total hip replacement due to severe osteoarthritis. I gave a normal birth the following year to a beautiful daughter. ( she has no hip issues-smile,I have had 4 left hip revision surgeries since-I am in my early 60's and now am having pain and clicking in my left hip. This hip has lasted the longest- 14 1/2 years. I walk with a cane. I barely have any bone left-have a long metal rod that goes down my femur bone-almost to my knee! I sure hope some of this info is helpful! Today, as an infant-if caught before age 1- they use a Pavlik harness which keeps the babies hips in a frog leg position/ in this harness for about a year. The best part--you will eventually have normal hip sockets!! I wish you well Stella!! It is kind of nice to know that somebody else went through what I did. Take care-hope you don't live in chronic pain -like me. Kathy86629

• Posted

Hi Stella, I've just come across your post and read with interest! I was born in 1978 and my dislocated hips weren't discovered until I was 2.5 years old after many doc visits (my mum knew there was something not right). I was in hospital for 3 months in traction, then in a frog cast for 6 months. Physio therapy and then yearly check ups followed. At 14, we were told there was no lasting damage. Fast forward 11 years and my first of two pregnancies, I was told I wouldn't be able for natural birth, was on crutches for last 3 months and wearing support belt as hips couldn't take the weight. I've had severe pain in my left hip for last 2 months and not relishing the thought of replacement as I'm only 39 at the moment, haven't been to doc as I'm the proverbial ostrich!!! What was your pain like before the replacement, not sure if this is power of suggestion or not. Thanks in advance for any advice xoxox

• Posted

Hi Smurf,

Like most in this thread, I too had congenital hip dysplasia (left) which went undiagnosed until 18 months. I too had traction in and out of anesthesia followed by the frog cast and then leg braces. Walked with a slight limp and some pain into adolescence, but by 16, pain was so excrutiating that surgery was necessary. At that point, I had a periacetabular osteotomy (fancy way of saying the surgeon reconstructed my hip using the existing ball and socket). While successful, the surgery was never expected to be a permanent fix and over the years I've developed bone spurs that made walking painful and flexibility nearly non-existent. I am now 31 years old and am currently recovering from thr surgery performed 19 days ago. While I'm still achy and not nearly back to 100%, I'm getting better every day and really do believe my recovery has been easier as i am so young. The sooner you get back to living pain-free, the better.

Good luck, hope this helped a bit!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.