Conjunctivitis And What To Do?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi guys,

For the past full week, I think I've been suffering from conjunctivitis. I was wondering how I can determine what type I have and if there's anything I can do/purchase for it.

-  I had a feeling as if something was in my left eye for a couple of days, but this has finally gone! cheesygrin

-  Both my left and right eyes seem to be a little tender and watery. They are a tiny bit sensetive to light but not by much at all. They are generally white but both with some blood shot areas.

- I have experienced no pain or loss of vision (Fingers Crossed!). I also have cold like symptoms such as a runny nose, varying temperture, watery eyes. But, I would say these are mild to minor. I've seen a small improvement since I got it a week a go and it's defintley got a tiny bit better. Should I give it another week before I see a doctor because it says to give it about two weeks to go away? Is it worth buying some eye drops from the pharmacist? And, what kind of conjunctivitis do I have?

Thanks so much for you're help! cool

Cheers.

0 likes, 41 replies

41 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Cammy.  it does sound like an extention of the cold/flue symptoms you describe.  usually conjunctivitis should clear up in 12-14 days on it's own accord. if, the sensitivity to light is marked or have an accompanying headache, neck stiffness,  i'd ring 111 (if you're in the Uk) and ask see what they'd  suggest. if it gets very marked you maybe able to get Chloramphenicol drops @ Boots the Pharmacist. 

Good luck. 

• Posted

Thanks so much for your reply Caitlin. smile The sensetivity to light is not to bad at all, it only seems to be the computer light that annoys it the most? No headaches as yet which is a good sign I guess.

Thanks very much for the suggestion, I'm going to go and try and get these tomorrow. Will they help to get rid of it and erase all the symptoms?

Thank you.

• Posted

hi Cammy.  yes, u should see resolution within 48 hrs.......... ish.  if no change by then, i'd see the Doc or talk to the Pharmacist.  most likely the Pharmacist will  ask u a few questions and expalin how to administer the drops.  hope u begin to feel better soon.

C

• Posted

Hey Caitlin. I went to my local pharmacist this afternoon and explained the symptoms to her. She said there is no need to go to the doctors as long as I don't have discharge coming from my eye which I don't.

She said I should try a product called 'Bloodshot Eye Drops by Optrex'. I'm going to try these and hopefully, it will get rid of it! The ingredient you mentioned is not in these eye drops and it has, 'Naphazoline Hydrochloride and Hamamelis Virginiana.

Thank you.

• Posted

Hi Cammy.

good that u got speaking to  Pharmacist.  'Hamamelis Virginiana' is a 'natural herbal remedy' from the leaves of the hazel tree species.   the common name is 'Witch Hazel'.  it's widely used for helping to heal, cleanse  and prevent infections in cuts, bruises etc.  it's safe to use & probably better than the antibiotics. i mentioned the Doc coz of the mild photophobia/headache just in case.  if there was anything 'untoward' going on underpinning the eye problem,  the Pharmacist would have picked it up. the Optrix should work. 

best wishes 

C

• Posted

Hi Caitlin, thanks so much for the insight about the Hamamelis Virginiana.  cheesygrin

No, I agree with you too! For the first time, my eyes have been a little teary throughout the day, and when I went to wipe the tear from my eye, the tinniest bit of white/yellowish thing was there, but, it was literally tiny! I have no mucus like stuff coming from my eyes during the day and they are not sticky when I awake. I think I'll defintley go to the doctors in a couple of days if the eye drops don't seem to work. I'll keep my progress on this page.

Thanks so much once again! I really apreciate it.  cool

• Posted

I forgot to say that this is about my 10th day with this and today, for the first time, my eyes seemed to have been quite itchy at times but of course, I'm keeping my hands away.  neutral
    • Posted

hi cammy.  thank's for update.  think if u start on the Optrex as soon as u can, it should nip things in the bud. good to hear there's no mucus. if that did happen  (most probably won't - fingers x) the Chloramphenicol drops would do the trick. so no need to worry unnecessarily.

yes, do keep us posted

keep well

C

• Posted

hi again Cammy. just read ur latest post.  an itchy sensation is often a sign of the healing process kicking in. do endevour not to scratch it though. 

C

• Posted

Hi Caitlin! I got my first dose of drops in last night, and not any real change this morning. I guess I need to give it a few days. The feeling of having something in my eye has defintley gone, my eyes just feel more watery and itchy than before. They are still quite bloodshot in a few areas too. sad  I'm going to apply the drops once in the morning, once in the afternoon and once before bed. I feel a little light headed today too, a bit like a head cold. I think I could have a minor flu virus or something that is causing all this!

Thanks so much. smile

• Posted

Hi Cammy. seems you're making progress. yes, you will have to give it a few days to work. do apply the drops as indicated on the instructions or/and  as the Pharmacist indicated.  

best wishes

C

• Posted

That's good to hear Caitlin!  cheesygrin  I've noticed when I apply the eye drops, my eyes seem to go a little more redder and it stings a bit.  confused
    • Posted

Hi Cammy.  the Witch Hazel Water  will sting a bit as it's an astringent and has an antiseptic effect. the reness should begin to clear up soon.  just give it time.

best wishes 

Catherine

• Posted

Hi Catherine. I'm so sorry for calling you Caitlin!  eek

Thanks so much, fingers crossed. I'll let you know how I get on.

Best wishes,

Cammy

• Posted

Hey Catherine! I've just completed my third day with the eye drops and I'm not seeing to many improvements, I'm starting to get a little worried  sad

It's really strange, for example, I wake up and I feel okay and for the rest of the morning period too. It's always the evening period that seems to be worse. My eyes are still quite sensetive to the light but only laptop and TV light. Everything else is fine! Things seem to be a tiny bit blurry at times, but I've had no headaches or sickness at all. My eyes are also still bloodshot and have a gritty like feeling at times.

This evening when I applied my eye drops, it made my eye sting so much that I had some tears coming from my eye. I noticed that when I went to wipe the tears away, I saw some really small yellowy ball things that had game out of my eye (One on each corner). Do you think I may have Bacterial Conjunctivitis instead? Or is it worth just keeping going with my current eye drops for a few more days?

Thanks so much for your help!

• Posted

Hi Cammy.  i've been away from technology for the past couple of days. hence delay in getting back to you.  Cammy this seems to be going on a bit, so i'd suggest  a trip back to the Pharmacist. the mild discharge you're experiencing, may well be the 'end' result of an infection. however, such things are easily remedied if it continues. do have a word with the local Pharmacist and see what they suggest.

Best C

• Posted

Hi Catherine. Please don't worry about that, it's fine!

Thanks so much. I'm going to try and go back there in the morning! I've started noticing that my eyes feel a little heavy and the area from my nose to my forehead and round my eyes is a little sore (a bit like a light bruise feeling) For example, if I raise my eyebrows, I can feel it a little. I think this could be some sort of sinus infection that is causing all this? On a plus note, even though my eyes are still a little bloodshoot, the watering and general itchiness has gone done somewhat!

Thanks again.

Cammy

• Posted

I forgot to mention that I still have not had any headaches. I'm still a bit sensetive to TV and computer light though  sad  Even though my sinuses do feel a little sore, I don't have any mucus. The only flu symptoms that I have seem to be a runny nose at times and a lot of sneezing. But, no mucus cough or anything like that.
    • Posted

Hi Cammy.  it certainly does indeed sound like  a bi of ''sinusitis''.  and i think it's a good idea to see the Pharmacist again tomorrow.  do let us know how it goes.

C

• Posted

Hi Catherine. Thanks so much! I'll make sure I try and get down there tomorrow. Do you think I should try and get something for my eyes or something that will help fight the sinusitis? My eyes have actually felt better today and I feel more a bit more comfortable looking at the TV and Laptop.

I'm going to boil some water in the kettle then put it in a pan and hold my face over the top and breathe in and out as I heard it helps.

Thanks again.

Cammy

• Posted

Hi guys, so just a quick update.

I visited the chemist today and she thought that it's possible that I have both conjunctivitis and sinusitis.  sad  She said to keep using my eye drops until the end of the weekend and keep well rested and see how things go.

It's been two weeks now since I've had this. I feel the eye drops have made somewhat of a differance. My eyes don't water anymore which is good and the itchiness has gone right down. I'm finding that I'm still a bit sensetive to lights from the TV and laptop, but this is not as bad as it first started. My eyes still are bloodshot though and the eyeball/eyelid feels very heavy. Everywhere from the top of my nose around my eyes and eyebrows and a bit of my forhead feel quite heavy and a bit light headed and fuzzy. I have not been sick once though and I've had no headaches at all. Only a tiny bit of discomfort around my eyes and head at times.

I've been needing to blow my nose a lot (no mucus though) and I've continued to sneeze a fair bit and sometimes my temperture can change from hot to cold, but nothing drastic.

I do feel a little bit better since this first started, but not by a lot. I'm a litle worried. Something else I noticed is that when I apply my eyedrops now, my eyes don't sting anywhere near as much as they did at the beginning which is good.

Thanks  cheesygrin

Cammy

• Posted

Hi Cammy. it seems that you're making progress but rather slowly.  if you have a ''walk-in-centre'' near you,  i'd pop in and see what the Doc says.  i think you may need Chloramphenicol (antibiotic)  eye drops.  your current condition isn't serious or anything like that. it's just hanging on longer than it needs to be.

C

• Posted

Hi Catherine. Thanks for re-assuring me!  cheesygrin

I agree with you. The main problem at the moment seems to be the light-headniess and tightness around my forhead/cheeks/eyes.

But, I think you your right and I'll try and see the doctor next week. I'm going to try some steam and breathing it in to see if it may help the forhead tightness.

Thanks as always C.  cool

• Posted

Hi Cammy.  yes the steam inhalations will certainly help the nasal/forehead congestion. if u can get a hold of any aromatherapy essential oils like: Tea Tree, Eucalyptus, Lemon, Peppermint or even Lavender.  they all have antiseptic properties and will also help clear the sinuses. just add 3-4 drops  to  a basin of v. hot  water, but be careful that you don't burn yourself. 

i'm surprised that the Pharmacist hasn't given u the Chloramphenicol drops already. your immune system needs a bit of help presently. 

some Vitamin C might also help, if u have any to hand. 

C.

• Posted

Hi Catherine.

Just a little update:

I am feeling a little bit better and seemed to have improve a little bit. However, a lot of the symptoms are lingering around still which is annoying!  mad

My eyes are feeling better, but still remain a little tender/blurry/heavy. The bloodshot veins seem to be going away which is good. I'm still sensetive to laptop and TV light, but it's not as bad as it was. My head still feels a little tight, but this has also gone away a little bit.

I've decided to take this week off work to try and get myself sorted out. I'm noticing other symptoms now such as, hot-cold temperture, stiff neck and tiredness. I could have a flu virus or something, but in mild form, I have no idea.

I went to Boots the chemist today, and the pharmacist took a look at me. I mentioned Chloramphenicol drops, but she said I don't need these as I don't have an infection!  eek  She seemed to think it's viral conjunctivtis and cold/flu at the same time. She said to keep using my eye drops and she also gave me a dry eye spray to use as a combination treatment. I also purchased SUDAFED congestion and headache relief (MAX strength) which is suppose to great rid of head colds and congestion as well as give relief to fever, headches, cold symptoms etc. I'm going to use all these daily as instructed and just rest.

Thanks so much for your suggestions! I'm very sporty and have a good healthy, balanced diet so hopefully that can help. But, by the end of the week, if there is no further improvement, I will certainly be going to the doctors.

Cammy.  cheesygrin

• Posted

Hi Cammy. good to get your feedback & pleased to hear that you're improving albeit slowly. it's good that your diet is good as it'll support your immune response.

Cammy, i'm wondering re this stiff neck & hot/cold temperature???  how severe is the neck stiffness?  and have u taken your temperature? did u tell the Pharmacist re the stiff neck & temperature?  apologies for all the questions?

C

• Posted

Hi Catherine. Thank you so much! I've also added a kiwi in to my morning smoothie as it's high in Vitamin C just to reinforce the intake of it.

Well, the stiff neck is actually so much better today. It's more like just a tired ache than a pain. I took my first does of SUDAFED last night, and it really seemd to improve my neck. I havent taken my temperture, but it seems to have settled down a lot today. Yeah, I told her about the other symptoms too. I think she thought I was been dramatic and just seemd to think I had a standard cold virus.  neutral  Please don't appologize, thank you so much for your help!

• Posted

Hi Cammy. v. plsd. to hear the neck stiffness etc is improving. it sounds like   the common cold may have  morphed into sinusitis. the sudafed & steam inhalations/decongestants should keep things flowing freely & prevent complications.  however, if it doesn't clear up within the  week, it's worth seeing a Doc.  viral conjunctivitis should clear up spontaneously within 10-12 days.  

keep  us posted & look after yourself

C

• Posted

Hey Catherine, thank you so much for your kind words!  cheesygrin  Yeah, it could be something like that I think. I agree, by next Monday, if things are still continuing, then I've got no option left but to visit the Doc. It's really hard to tell with my eyes to be honest! The itchiness and watery symptoms have completely gone more or less! But, they still feel a tiny bit sensetive to laptop and TV light, but it's not as bad as it was and I think it's because of the sinus in my head causing this? The redness and heavy feeling in my eyes could also be caused by this.

Thanks again! I'll let you know how it goes, hopefully I can bring some good news eventually!  confused

Cammy

• Posted

Hey Catherine, just a quick update.

I am beginning to feel a little bit better, and the light sensetivity has almost gone!  cheesygrin  However, I'm still feeling quite tight/light-headed around my upper nose/forehead/eyes area. My eyes have got better, but there still a bit puffy and bloodshot. I have a feeling all this is caused by a sinus infection. It says it can last up to four weeks and I'm on day 23 of it. Do you think I should give it one more week or visit the GP? Thank you! I hope you're well  cheesygrin

• Posted

Hi cammy. if it's viral conjunctivitis as the Pharmacist says it is, it should clear up in 10-12 days.  if it's acute sinusitis, then it should clear up within 3 weeks.ish it varies from person to person. it sounds as though it's getting better but slowly.  the  problem with sinusitis is that it can become 'chronic' which is a pain in the b*tt. i think, i'd go and see the GP if it hasn't got better within a month of it's commencement. i'm a believer in nipping things in the bud.  what does your intuition say?

C

• Posted

Hey Catherine, thanks for your reply!  cheesygrin  I agree with you. I've had the eye problems now for about three weeks, and I've had the sinusitis symptoms for just over two weeks.

It's really hard to say what it is, because the light sensetivity has cleared up a lot and my eyes do feel better. But, they do feel very heavy and a little puffy and there still a bit bloodshot. I have a feeling this is been caused by the sinusitis though?

On the plus side, I haven't felt sick at all and my appetite remains the same. There is still no mucus, just plain white stuff instead when I blow my nose. I also haven't had any headaches. I do feel more tired than normal though.

I'm terrible indecisive haha! I'm thinking of trying to get hold of some Chloramphenicol eye drops and getting maybe another SUDAFED or Nurofen and trying those for a solid week and if they don't work, that'll mean i've had this for a month and go to the doctors the following week in half term.

• Posted

Hi Cammy. it's difficult  to know which problem is uppermost - the Conjunctivitis or the Sinusitis. personnaly, i'd just go to the Doctors.  explain all the ''natural/self help'' things you have applied & tried & that it's not clearing up. explain  that you don't want it to be a ''chronic'' problem. your Doc will understand that.

C

• Posted

Hey Catherine. Yeah, I agree to be honest. May as well nip things in the bud like you said and try and get it sorted instead of waiting for it to be better! I'll let you know how I get on and what they say!

Thanks so much.

Cammy

• Posted

think you have given it more than enough time Cammy & you've done ALL the 'self-help' stuff and it's still there.  do let the GP know  all the self-help stuff you've done. 

btw, i'm sure it'll take a couple of weeks to get a GP  appointment anyhow. so, if by then the infection has gone, you can always canel  it.

all good luck with it & have a nice half term break.

C

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.