Conoloscopy Concerns

Posted , 10 users are following.

Good Morning,

I am due to have a Conoloscopy on 20 June and if I am being honest, I am absolutely dreading it. 

Furthermore, I am not really looking forward to taking the prep mixture beforehand so I am wondering a) Is it possible I can take something with the mixture to alleviate the taste and b) is it out of the question to take tablets as an alternative as I would MUCH rather take tablets and is something I care to discuss with my GP come Friday when I have an appointment. 

Also, I much rather wouldn't be awake during this procedure as it is making me anxious so if I HAD to remain awake for this, what drugs should I ask for which are the most powerful so I am in the least amount of discomfort as possible?

I am sorry if this sounds extreme but I am rather concerned and want to ensure that I am going into this procedure with the correct mindset and no anxiety

Thank You.

1 like, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I'm not sure what prep you will have to take. I had Picolax - the taste wasn't unpleasant but I found it easier to drink it through a sraw because it's quite thick. Taking it through a straw meant it went straight down my throat so I wasn't left with the taste in my mouth. The hardest part of the prep for me was having to drink so much water, it felt like I was completely awash with liquid but I understood it was an essential part of the process. 

I was awake throughout the procedure but lightly sedated which helped me relax. There were only a couple of uncomfortable moments when the scope was being navigated around a bend, but a couple of puffs on gas and air was all I needed. The whole procedure was completed in less than 20 minutes, and after a coffee and toast I was on way home with no ill effects. The benefit of light sedation is the very quick recovery time. Like  you I was anxious about having colonoscopy and whilst I wouldn't necessarily add it to my bucket list, I'd have no fears if I needed it again. 

Try not to worry. The staff at the hospital I went to were so kind, reassuring and understanding and talked me through everything that was going to happen , even describing the "privacy shorts" I was going to be given to wear. 

Good luck. 

Jan

• Posted

Try not to stress about it, it really isnt as bad as you think. Re the prep, I mixed mine with lemon swuash.. changed the taste a bit but again, its not vomit inducing as it stands, just not pleasant, I thin you need to be conscious during the procedure as you have to move round a bit, but when I had mine, there was a pre-procedure meeting with a nurse who talked me through the process, and was able to answer all my concerns.She/he's the one to ask about sedation. The procedure is much easier than the conssequences of not going through with it.

• Posted

Good Afternoon, 

Just to give a bit of extra background, two and a half years ago, I got an anal fistula and the following year, I had surgery to have it treated and since then, its been much better. At the time, the suegeon said it was one of the worst he had ever seen and add to that, I had a blood cyst in a private area. 

This year, I had minor non-invasive surgery and it was the opinion of the surgeon that I may have Chrons Disease. However, I am assuming the conoloscopy will be able to detect the true issues of what is wrong. 

I am taking Picolax for my prep so I guess my question is, what would be the best way to alleviate the taste and not risk a vomit inducing scenario and is it possible to take ANY type of pill as an alternative? I also want to make sure I am as a comfortable as possible during the procedure so for me, only the strongest light sedation will do as I do not want to be in any bad discomfort. 

Thanks

• Posted

No one was more anxious than I was prior to my first colonoscopy!  After the exam I felt quite foolish as my worries were completely unfounded. Remember that you are having a procedure that could save your colon or even your life. Don't play doctor by using prep methods not specifically recommended by your doctor.  It will go much better if you just "chill."  Take it from me, your tolerance for pain will NOT be tested!!
  • Posted

Hi Robin, I'm home after mine this morning, I to dreaded whole thing but have to honestly say and hope it helps it was no where near as bad as I thought. I did moviprep last night and again very early this morning which is unpleasant and an inconvenience, I did find it hard to get a litre of stuff down within an hour especiallt towards end  of hr but got there in end, people suggests adding lemon squash or even sucking a lemon, may be worth a try? I was anxious on arrival at hosp but well looked after and found process and staff really reassuring, was asked to wear hosp gown and they gave me some kind of disposable shorts which help you maintain a bit of dignity. I opted for sedation and as soon as it was in i felt effects and was sort or semi conscious and dipping in and out, was no more than uncom at times with few mild pains at most, felt like it only lasted mins but guess that's due to sedation. Wouldn't be at all concerned if had to have another, prep was a nuisance but has to be done, my tip would be to eat very lightly for a few days before starting the low residual diet day (just makes the prep slightly better) but google few ideas other than lemons, hope this helps, good luck and hope it goes ok
  • Posted

I had to have a colonoscopy a couple of weeks ago and was also very anxious about the whole thing, but I had a really positive experience.

The prep I drank through a straw that way you dont taste it, it was quite hard having to drink so much water also but it is doable, be near a toilet and take a book/phone/laptop to keep you amused as you will spend a lot of time on the toilet after taking the prep!! Do not drink anything red or purple a couple of days before as this can be confused with blood in the colon.  I was given a light sedation and a relaxant (buscupan) through a cannula in my arm just before the procedure and it lasted about 15 mins, I was so surprised it was so quick and it was a tiny wee bit uncomfertable at times but nothing really bad, I was lucky to have a brilliant gastroencologist,  honestly try to relax, do not stress fear really is worse than any event/procedure usually.  Good luck

• Posted

Oh dear, this has raised another issue now Jackie. However, that said, I bless you and everyone else for their encouraging responses. I am afraid I am needlephobic, so this is something else I will need to discuss with my GP on Friday. 

Everyone must think I'm the biggest worrier and wimp around. 

• Posted

Not a wimp; it is a pretty invasive procedure, but the team I had were lovely; I was told to stop chatting to the nurse so much by the gastro man, he couldn't concentrate. Said with a big smile. I think the low fibre diet I had before the prep meant there wasn't much to get rid of; I'd heard about explosive sprints to the toilet, but honestly, it wasn't my experience; no rush and no great urgency; the prep was going in and coming out the same pretty soon! I was concerned that it hadnt worked properly but all was sparkly clean on the camera. I had sedetation available, but I wanted to see what was going on so didnt opt for it in the end; again, no problems, only slight discomfort.
    • Posted

You are not a wimp, and I am sure if you let your doctor know you are needlephobic you might be able to have medicines orally. It is the fear of the unknown that is the worse, I am sure you will sail through it, please let us know how you get on, good luck x

• Posted

Hi Robin. No, you're not a wimp. I think most people would be anxious before their first one. I was! But it was nothing to worry about. I was mildly sedated but remember everything, including looking at the screen and chatting non stop throughout. They were probably more relieved than I was when it was all over! Best of luck. And I would follow the instructions exactly if I were you. You'll be fine! 
  • Posted

The taste of most of the preps isn't too bad. I managed with Moviprep and that's the one I like the least. Drink slowly and calmly. Have plenty of water as directed. Ask your doctor about tablets but I don't think you can do it that way. Nowadays the solutions often contain balancing electrolytes and plenty of water because you will lose quite a bit. That is important. They won't put you out generally because they need you to move a bit during the procedure. Hopefully the sedation will make you not remember much although the one time mine completely failed and I remembered everything, it wasn't too bad. Try not to clench your muscles when they put it in because that makes it harder, The first bit up the right side has a feeling of pressure particularly as they turn the first corner. I never feel anything after that. I think they do the actual examination as they withdraw the tube, so they get in quite quickly and then withdraw more slowly. Withdrawing I have never found a problem because they are now going in the usual direction that the bowel understands. Speaking for myself -and I know people react differently- I find the colonoscopy much more comfortable than a doctor's manual examination at a check up if that gives you any idea. A lot of people worry themselves silly and a lot of those people find it much easier than they feared.
    • Posted

I made up the litre of prep and had a kitchen timer set for 10 minutes so I paced myself over the hour
  • Posted

Hi

I thought I would give an update to the situation. 

I went to see the G.P. and he told me that there was probably no way around taking the mixture yet when I research the issue on the Internet, there are ways around that with tablets, so I can't see an issue?

I also have an issue with having the conoloscopy awake so when I contacted the hospital, I was told I couldn't have the conoloscopy under a general which again, doing research, doesn't seem right to me - I've already told my doctor I am anxious to have such a procedure awake and again, I can't see a problem. 

Also, I have an aversion to needles and I was told you could have a cannula in your body, most likely the hand and I have told my doctor/surgeon I am needlephobic. The whole idea of needles just freaks me out. 

I don't want to appear wimpish about this and I had a bit of a barney with my parents about it and I was told sometimes you just have to do things you don't want to do, so what sort of an answer is that? Right now, I am extremely concerned and waiting to hear from the surgeon isn't helping matters, but I appreciate they are busy. 

I'm at my wits end, to be honest and I know I am going to spend the weekend worrying about this and it just seems nobody cares or understands the problem who are the closest to me and should be a source of support. Really annoyed, anxious and disappointed, right now. I am sure it will be OK overall but nevertheless, this has left me in a bad way. 

• Posted

If it's any consolation, the lquid prep is not difficult to take. If you can drink water, you can manage the liquid prep easily. You won't even feel the cannula being inserted, honestly. It is entirely painless and just feels as if someone is giving you a handshake. The meds delivered through the cannula will make you relaxed, and having a cannula means they can increase the doseage of the medication if necessary without the need for more injections. You will be absolutely fine. I bet you'll be posting a message on this site in the next few days saying you don't know what on earth you were worried about. 

We'll all be thinking of you and sending positive thoughts. 

Jan

• Posted

Aye probably Jan. Thank you for your help and I know I'm being difficult, so I apologise for that, I'm just anxious. Take Care.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.