Conoloscopy Concerns

Posted , 10 users are following.

Good Morning,

I am due to have a Conoloscopy on 20 June and if I am being honest, I am absolutely dreading it. 

Furthermore, I am not really looking forward to taking the prep mixture beforehand so I am wondering a) Is it possible I can take something with the mixture to alleviate the taste and b) is it out of the question to take tablets as an alternative as I would MUCH rather take tablets and is something I care to discuss with my GP come Friday when I have an appointment. 

Also, I much rather wouldn't be awake during this procedure as it is making me anxious so if I HAD to remain awake for this, what drugs should I ask for which are the most powerful so I am in the least amount of discomfort as possible?

I am sorry if this sounds extreme but I am rather concerned and want to ensure that I am going into this procedure with the correct mindset and no anxiety

Thank You.

1 like, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Honestly Robin We can completely understand your fear and concerns, as I have said it is the fear of the unknown that is  almost ALWAYS worse than the actual event itself.  You will be given a sedative that will completely relax you and as for  the cannula in the hand just do not look when they are doing it, it really just feels like someone is pinching your hand and nothing more.  Try deep breathing and it will be over before you know it.
  • Posted

Hi Robin:

I explained I think in my previous comment why I think they don't use tablets for this kind of laxative because of the nature of the laxative and the need to keep your electrolytes balanced. In the order of things that are worrying you this shouldn't really be your biggest worry and I am sure you will cope with that part. Everyone would like to be out during the procedure, but, as I thought I'd explained, they need your cooperation during the test (even if you don't remember it afterwards) and you need them to perform the test to the best of their ability otherwise they may miss something, these tests are much better than other ways of viewing the gut but even they are not perfect and they depend on the skill of the operator and getting the view he wants. Needle phobia must be something they have encountered many times before and I would be very surprised if they can't help you with it. I think if you separate out and approach singly each problem they will all appear much less. There is a danger that problems conflate and become overwhelming. Finally, remember this: I don't know why you need this test, it can be a life saver particularly if you have certain symptoms or are at a certain age. Bear in mind this - I hope that, as with most, most people, you will have nothing seriously wrong with you but a number of the conditions this test can prevent developing have treatments that will make this seem like a walk in the park. So, have courage, read what people say on this site, don't try to find information about things going wrong (you can find them about any treatment for anything) and you will soon be over it all. I still hate the dentist more than this! It's a bore, because of the prep and no-one likes even thin tubes put up them (well almost no-one) but apart from a bit of pressure for a few seconds at turn one, most people are fine and some don't even remember it. I don't think you are a wimp. Human beings have very powerful brains and you are just letting yours get a bit pumped up.

• Posted

Thank you everyone for the encouraging responses - I will try not to be anxious but it is really hard right now and I had an argument with my parents about it and mum just said sometimes we just have to do things we don't want to do which made me feel ten times worse.

i am sure there would be a way to neutralise the taste of the prep, taking medicines orally due to the needle phobia and I am sure that it'll be ok.

Basically, the test is to test for Chrons disease. Excuse back in 2014,I had an anal fistula which was incredibly painful. Also developed a blood cyst under my trunk. It came to the point where emergency surgery was required. The surgeon said it was one of the worst fistulas he had ever seen.

Since then I had an operation earlier this year and it was the surgeons opinion it could be Chrons disease. I think the conoloscopy is to eradicate any other possibility. However the surgeon said his worry was it might be Chrons but I was under the impression Chrons is something people can live with comfortably and even be treated? 

If I am being honest, the thing that concerns me most is the taste of the prep as I know the hospital have drugs which will be strong enough to control any potential pain and strange as it may sound, I don't mind a cannula in my hand and they have techniques to numb the site on my hand to ensure its not a painful entry. I would rather not be awake if I am honest but I trust the doctors at the hospital and I am determined to do my best.

what would happen, just for arguments sake, should I struggle to take the prep? Are tablets absolutely out of the question? I might ask the pharmacist if there are any pills that can be taken because it's worth a go.

Anyways, I will and am determined to do this and give it my absolute all. Thank you all for your invaluable support. 

• Posted

Hi Robin,

The prep just takes like a sweet fruity drink normally. Big thing is not to gulp it down. It's not a race. Sorry to hear about your gut troubles. I had a friend who had episodes of Crohn's for ten years. He eventually had surgery 20 years ago and has never had a problem since: there are many lines of treatment nowadays and a surgical option if they don't work. I once had something like your fistula and it was the worst pain I ever experienced, ever, ever! So I do sympathise. I had to bite on something. I was in my teens and luckily it kept away after that. It may not be Crohn's but if it is the sooner you know the better. Hopefully, it is something they can treat and let you get on with your life. Good luck!

• Posted

Hi the prep isn't that bad at all just make sure your comfortable in the toilet with maybe a new book or kindle lol I was given picolax 3 sachets and it did say on the instructions that you can add some squash to it if you dnt like the taste but it just tastes like lemsip if you've ever tasted that

Ow one last thing that might help is to take some suda cream with you and apply after each wipe as it will possibly sting. It helped me!!!

• Posted

Hi Everyone.

I have just had my first conoloscopy and I wanted to share my experiences with you.

On the day before the procedure, I had picolax, which, for those who don't know, is a VERY powerful laxative, so make sure you are near a toilet. 

The prep itself is tolerable but strong and can induce vomiting, so please be aware, but it is certainly doable, most definitely and if you can possibly do it, try and down it in one go, makes the whole process that much easier. I was told at the hospital I did a good job with my prep. Not surprised due to its powerful but effective nature.

The night before, I was anxious and calmed myself by doing things I enjoy. The prep, if taken at the regular intervals before the procedure, shouldn't affect you during the night. You might get the odd incident but nothing major.

On the morning of the procedure, I was a nervous wreck and was moody and didn't speak much. I got to the DTC and was welcomed and then taken off to get prepared. The nurse went through all the necessary bits and then I got changed into a gown. 

After a short wait, I was then taken to the main conoloscopy room, which I do admit was a fascinating room. There were four incredible staff members I on there who helped me all the way and knowing I was needle phobic, they were very sensitive and despite the fact it was mildly uncomfortable when the cannula went in, it was never anything to write home about. Indeed, before they even injected the drugs, I was talking quite normally to the other staff members.

As soon as the doctor injected about three different drugs into me, I suddenly felt not myself. Not in a bad way at all, just not totally with it and after that, I remember NOTHING about the procedure though I have a recollection of the Doctor saying it's all finished.m

Followong on from that, everything was a breeze and I've gone to fill up on a good meal as I was starving. The good news was it all came back clear, so good time all round. 

Thank you you for your support in this matter everyone. It is much appreciated. 

• Posted

Just so pleased to have had it - it means I can work towards sorting this issue out.
    • Posted

Well done Robin. You can now advise all those people using this site who are terrified of the prep and the procedure that there is absolutely nothing to be worried about. Your experience will offer loads of reassurance. So glad to hear your procedure revealed nothing to be concerned about. 

Jan

• Posted

Thanks Jan. By far the worst part was the preparation. The only other part that was a little uncomfortable was the insertion of the cannula but even then it wasn't anything to write home about. The procedure itself was an absolute breeze. 
  • Posted

Great post! I'm sure it will help many people who are worried, which is natural. Mine was the same, no problems and clear. Glad your result was reassuring. 
    • Posted

It's reassuring to know there are no issues with the conoloscopy but doesn't explain the bleeding at times when I pass bowels.

its nothing extensive just intermittent, so I am wondering if this is just something to do with the natural healing of my fistula wound.

i did have a bit of bleeding with my first motion after my conoloscopy but I was told that was normal, so I think now I need to find out how to heal the wound and where the blood is coming from, but since it is always bright red, I think it's a problem lower down, but I'm sure given time it can be fixed.

I have lived with this for about two and a half years so really a bit longer won't hurt and it doesn't stop me doing the things I want to do. So it's almost become a part of my lifestyle. I have faith it will be fixed, but just a matter of time and patience.

• Posted

Thank you everyone who has been supportive of me during my conoloscopy. You really helped me through it and I will always be grateful. 

It it is also assuring to k ow the test came back all clear, so now I am due to see the doctor in a short while, so I don't know really where this goes from here. Have to see what the doc says since it doesn't explain the intermittent bleading from my back passage. It is always bright red and I think it comes from a fistula wound which is having issues healing, so onto the next step now. 

However, I can rest easy knowing nothing bad was found during the conoloscopy. I feel proud for doing it and rest assured to anyone feeling anxious about this procedure, there is absolutely nothing to be worried about.

• Posted

So glad you had it done and all is okay  hopefully you will get it all sorted out  good luck biggrin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.