Considering the Rezum Prostate Procedure

Posted , 19 users are following.

I'm 80 yrs old but in good physical health except for BPH and all that goes with it.

I had the Urolyft procedure on Dec 7, 2018. Had no bad side effects, blood in urine for about a week, then felt better, stronger urine stream and after 3 weeks or so had to get up at night to pee only once or twice max. However, after about 4 months all the night time peeing started

again. I was told retrograde ejaculation was to be in the past. Not so!! (Iv'e had that for about 6months prior to Urolyft) still have it. Told I could get off Tamsulosin. Which I stopped using.

It's now March 4, 2019 and all my symptoms returned after 4 months, including Prostititis 3 times. Urolyft worked for about 4 months, no more!

Presently, have very weak stream, up 3 times/night, retrograde ejaculation, very difficult peeing

stop and go dribbling, taking Tamsulosin twice a day, constant pressure in the perineum.

Urologist says, perhaps the third (median Lobe) has enlarged or prostate has grown around the staples.

I do not recommend the Urolft. It did nothing to improve my condition.

SO I am condidering Rezume, however not so sure after reading some of your comments.

If anyone has new or additional comments to make . I would appreciate hearing from you.

Thank you,

cobranorm

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

My Rezum was not successful.

Get the real thing- HoLEP. You will have Retrograde Ejaculation. At 80 , do you really care? Think about emptying a pitcher of water into the toilet and seeing the bubbles.

• Posted

I would recommend that you try to rule out bladder issues as being a major contributor to your problems. Perhaps you could mention it to your urologist and a number of tests could be made. In addition to prostate issues, bladder issues can be a main contributor to lower urinary tract symptoms (LUTS) and men are often disappointed that a procedure that only treated the prostate did not help with LUTS as much as was expected. Perhaps others who have had bladder testing done can chime in.

• Posted

Sounds like you need to be examined to find out what happened. Rezum is another mild procedure and may not be enough for you.

I'm 61 had Rezum in Dec 2018 and it helped my flow a lot, but I still have to get up 1-3 times depending on my fluid intake.

I would get another Uros or two opinion.

• Posted

I had the REZUM. Don't do it!!!! Didn't work............

I wanted the uriolft and had a cysto and ruled that out with rep in operation rum.

Dr advistised aquablation..... So I'm on the books for that in May..

I'm 59 and two dr s wanted to do a TURP on me and I didn't want all the side effects in my sexual life!!!

This procedured is like a turp without the dry side effects.

good luck, pass on rezum..

• Posted

Hey Leon

You do know that the Aquablation is a Turp done with water and the side effects are 15 to 20 %. Sex or retro. Are you sure that it is your prostate it could be your bladder. Do you also know that the mapping on the prostate is done while you are asleep. So you will not know what they will be cutting. If you look at the site they cut the whole prostate out there is no way to a just it

But that is your decision. Good luck...Ken

• Posted

Mr. Webmaster, why can't I log in today. Says my name or password are wrong.

• Posted

And I don't mean on this thread - on another thread that I could respond to yesterday.

• Posted

Think Holep, bipolar Turp, GL, or self cathing. Everything else is just a bandage.

• Posted

Hello Buddy

I'm sorry that it did not work. Maybe they did not do enough clips or there is something wrong with your bladder. You should not have any sexual problem or retro problem but the Tamsulosin will cause you ejaculation problem even after you stop taking it It will stay with you. Please see what the problem is before you do anything else. Try Vasicare 10 mg it will help the prostate relax and also the bladder

I'm going on 4 years and my prostate is still wide open. Take care Ken

• Posted

I would suggest ignoring most of what you've read in this thread. First, I would get scoped before any other procedure to find out what when wrong. Urolift doesn't work with enlarged median lobes and that may have been what happened. Or it may not have. The originator of this thread (a guy named Chuck) was looking into Rezum because his Urolift failed. He ultimately had his Urolift redone with excellent results. Depending on what caused your problem, that may be an option.

As for Rezum, for the vast majority of men it works really well and if Urolift is no longer a good option there is no good reason not to try that first - especially at 80 when anesthesia carries increased risks. Yes there are Rezum failures as there are with all BPH proecedures - but from what I've read, many/most of them were diagnostic failures where bladder issues were at least as much of the problem as prostate size. Rezum won't fix those, although when you take the pressure of a blockage away, often bladders can, over time rehab enough to allow for normal function .

As for RE, if you had it before the procedure, its probably unrealistic to expect it to resolve as a result of it. Sometimes it can take many months to come back after being on Alpha Blockers. And I think it's awesome that at 80 its still an issue for you. Gives me hope for the future.

• Posted

Oldbuzzard, good recommendations in your post above. I would add something, but I think that you covered it well.

• Posted

I had a urolift today and was sent home from the hospital with foley catheter which was no fun to have in me, so I took it out. I have been dribbling bloody urine but it feels better after removing it,

• Posted

I'm new here and trying to find out if I made a big mistake having the Rezum procedure. I had it 3 weeks ago and the pain trying to urinate is getting worse and more frequent. Sometimes I have to go every 30 minutes. I also had some bleeding that came back a couple days ago. I called my doctor yesterday but they don't work of Fridays. Nurse told be to go to the emergency room. I knew that would be a waste of time and money. Someone from the office finally called me back and I have an appointment this Wednesday.

I was told the procedure was a piece of cake, almost painless with a small amount of sedation, by pill. I have had 3 back surgeries and this pain was much worse than any of them. I will post an update after I see my doctor. So far, I'm not happy with the whole thing.

• Posted

hey hey man how you doing now? can you give us an update? I'm thinking about a resum

• Posted

I had the rezum procedure 6 weeks ago and didn't lose the burning, frequency, or urgency until the 5th week.. It was pretty uncomfortable for the first 5 days, but then it seemed to get better. At day 10 I started seeing clots and blood in my urine, and a second round of pain, frequency, urgency, and burning hit me pretty bad for about another week or so.. I pumped myself full of Uribel to help with the pain, then things slowly got better. After 6 weeks, I'm now going hours between bathroom breaks, am off all meds, and the pain is gone.. I hope your pain is just your body healing and things are getting better soon.. I don't regret my decision at this point..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.