Consistently sub clinically hypothyroid...

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all,

​I've had three blood tests done over the last year or so and each time my TSH has been in the 6-7 range and Free T4 in the lower end of the range around 13 (in a 12-22 pmol/l) Free T3 in the middle of range and Total T4 at 80 or so at the lower range end (64-142 nmol/l). Antibodies virtually not there.

The endo I saw suggested trying 25mg of levo to see if my now permanent symptoms were eased but my GP wasn't happy about doing this.

​I'm not asking for any medical opinions but is it possible this "sub clinical" hypothyroidism can really wreak such havoc with my life? Dizziness, foggy head, tiredness etc etc. Some days like today I can't do much at all, others I can function, others I'm ok aside the constant hangover from hell feeling. My temperature is running 1.5c below normal but the endo said this wasn't clinical evidence of anything. And to be fair I don't suffer cold extremities.

​I'm a 53 yr old male if that means anything!

​Thanks for any thoughts.

0 likes, 42 replies

42 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Chris...

Pester,pester and keep on....i had a tsh of 6...i felt Like death...Borderline thé Gp said....i was put on levythyroxine à féw months ago,sometimes i feel ok...but....when i use any energy or i get cold,or have any slight stress then bang,it hits me....i feel Like how i imagine full blown aids would feel,Like i have hyperthermia,weak...i hurt...Just dreadful....im going back to m'y Gp...although its an effort....and im feddup...with it all...please be persistent...Good luck,

• Posted

Hi Lisa...has the medication made no difference? Have your numbers changed at all?

Out of all my tests over 14 months the only thing out is my thyroid that they think could cause these symptoms. Of course it could still be ms but the neuro thinks not, the ENT thought vestibular neuritis, the radiologist cervical stenosis or b12 ...all dismissed...only thyroid left at this point!

Hoping you make some progress.

• Posted

Médication has helped,but,where as levels at 6...i felt so poorly all thé time...after starting médication my levels are at 4.5...Im ok if i dont overtax myself and avoid getting cold...but my body still just doesnt seem to cope,so im going to request a higher dosage
    • Posted

Thanks, that's useful to know. I really don't know why my GP is against prescribing anything when the endo wanted to try it. As he said to me, I'm not hypo in the classic sense but if there are symptoms that can be treated it was worth a go and my body would tell me soon enough if I didn't need it.

Looks like I should go back and be a bit more persistent!

• Posted

May be worth asking for your adrenal glands to be checked. Look up addisons disease and cushings disease.
    • Posted

Thanks, I'll check tomorrow, the last time they took 15 phials of blood I'm pretty sure there was one for those tests..in fairness to the endo he was quite thorough with those.
    • Posted

Aim to get your TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone at 1-2 and you'll feel much better.
    • Posted

Lisa, if you feel rough - have a very warm bath. This raises the metabolism and you will feel better. Hypothyroidism results in low metabolism.
    • Posted

Hi Cindy, I have.seen a private endo and was prescribed NatureThroid which made me swell up. So I now buy ThyroGold off the intetnet necause it doesn't have fillers. As far as I'm aware WP-Throid (aka Westhroid-P doesn't either, but I've not tried it yet. I have also been to several NHS endos, each one referring me to another who might be as ble to prescribe NDT (without success). The last endo I saw completely agreed with my reasons for being on NDT (intolerant to the fillers, maize starch, whuch is in all the synthetic meds) but was still unable to prescribe NDT. I have also appealed to my CCG, all without success. So I now buy my thyroid meds Over The Counter without a prescription off the internet. My NHS GP monitors my thyroid levels by doing regular blood tests.
    • Posted

Barbara

It is fortunate that you are able to do this. I did not know it was possible to do this. Is it possible to buy other meds that do not contain maize starch etc as I have an intolerance to this ?

Is the NDt expensive?

Is it possible to PM with the contact details please.

Thanks in advance.

Cindy

• Posted

Hi Cindy, I have dry macular degeneration so I also get a specific vitamin formulation that has been proven to help slow its progression. This is called Viteyes and it contains per capsule 250mg vitamin C, 200mg vitamin E, 12.5mg zinc, 1mg copper, 5mg lutein, 1mg zeaxanthin. Its contentscare listed as: vitame E, vitamibe C, bovine gelatin, dicalcium phospate, talc magnesium stearate & silicon dioxide, microcrystalline cellulose, marigild extract, zinc oxide, calcium silcate, copper oxide.

I'm not sure whether this an

• Posted

Sorry, it posted my message to early. The end of it should have said:

This is the only one I know of. If anyone knows of a multivitamin that's in a clear capsule I would be interested to hear of it.

• Posted

Us that to avoid ingesting any nasty additives and colourants> Amaranth is another nasty colourant used in medications, sweets, gravy etc, etc. It i even presebnt in freefrom muesli from Sainsburys!!

Amaranth being derived from coal tar a known carcinogenic substance.

• Posted

I'll avoid amaranth! As I'm imtolerant to so many foods and have to stick to fresh meat fish and veg
    • Posted

There's not much they can do to it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.