Constant Acid Reflux For 3 Weeks!

Posted , 29 users are following.

Hi,

ive vey had constant acid reflux for the last 3 weeks. I feel horrendous! 

It it feels like I've drunk a whole bottle of vinegar. My throat is sore. It's making me feel miserable and there has been no restbite from it. 

I've my diet and it's pretty much very alkaline and it's not bad any difference. I've reduced my portion sizes and spread my meals out and nothing- it's still there. Everytime I eat I have acid in my throat minutes after eating and it's there all day even when I've not eaten. 

Ive  had a stool test for H. pylori(Helicobacter pylori) and it's come back negative. I've also had a blood test which came back fine. 

My  doctor prescribed some 20mg ozerprazole which I took for a week. It did nothing. Went back to the doctors a week later and he upped it to 40mg. Another week later and that's not worked. 

I went back back to the doctors today and he has given me some Lansoprazole. 15mg to start with for a week and if that doesn't do anything 30mg for a week. 

He said if that doesn't clear things up he would have to refer me to the gastro people. 

Does anyone know how long the referral process takes and what happens when you go and see them? 

Also so does anyone have any tips to get rid of the vinegar taste in mouth. 

Currently I'm drinking lots of water and chewing a lot of sugar free gum. 

Thanks 

Rob

2 likes, 73 replies

73 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Rob.  I can only comment on the taste in the mouth and my experience of relieving it.  It could potentially be pepsin that's coming up from your stomach and attaching itself to the cells in your airways (hence, there is no respite from it and it's constantly there as everything will trigger it).  The thing that massively helped me was alkaline drops and alkaline water.  It is not medically proven (someone correct me if I'm wrong!), but alkaline over PH 8 helps to kill off the pepsin. 

I found relief within 2 days of drinking the water and gargling with the alkaline drops. 

Although you describe a 'vinegar' taste in the mouth.  Mine was definitely pepsin (as I had a peptest), but mine was more of a metallic, dry sensation. 

So we may not be suffering from the same thing, but if you want more info on where to get the alkaline stuff, please shout.  Also, if you're on Facebook, search for 'refluxhelp' and you'll find the 'Justpassingthrough' page.  I followed the majority of the info on this page, and I feel so much better.  I was prescribed Omeprazole but I wanted to take a more natural route first. 

• Posted

Thanks! I'm going to look into the alkaline water and drops. Are you based  in the UK? Do you know the best places to get the water and drops from? 

Also I need some kind of hard boiled sweet I can suck on to keep the acid at bay. 

Would you you recommend anything? I tried crystal ginger but it nearly made me vomit. Not keen on the taste of the sweet stuff.

My jaw is hurting from chewing gum now lol. 

• Posted

People have said that you can find it in health food stores and some have found it in Lidl or Aldi in the UK.  I couldn't find it anyway I looked and I was so desperate that I ordered it off Amazon.  It is more expensive, but I just didn't care at the time! 

People have recommended the liquorice pellets (nipits) which I ordered off Amazon as well.  They didn't work for me unfortunately (but may for you!). 

• Posted

Thanks for your help! Am going to look into it! Did you go off your food? I've lost weight the last few weeks and my friends and family have all said I look very pale. 

Yesterday I ate a lot more food which I'm happy about. Having small meals makes it difficult to get enough calories. I'm eating very clean foods and am starting to get sick of baked chicken smile

• Posted

Oh yes, I went off food and lost weight (which isn't a good thing as I was very slim to begin with!).  However, I convinced myself I must get all the nutrients and minerals I need in a day.  Again, trial and error, but the bad things for me are: red meat, cheese, pastas with tomatoe sauce, chocolate....basically anything that's high in calories!

Now, my 'safe' foods are: chicken, eggs, soup (home made veg), all fish, salad, porridge, jacket potatoes

I am very slowly reintroducing foods back into my diet.  I had a steak the other night and I have no problem with red wine.  I ONLY drink decaf tea and coffee as have not been brave enough to try that yet!

I also went through a phase of having some Complan (can buy in Boots or Sainsburys) just to boost my vitamin and mineral uptake when eating was difficult. 

• Posted

Will add some complan to the list smile

Its all all starting it get very expensive. Have spent a fortune the last few weeks on all types of stuff. 

On the plus side my diet is far healthier in many ways. 

• Posted

You're spot on!  I spent a fortune on this stuff, but once it's under control, you actually find you save money by spending less on food!

My diet is so much healthier these days.  It wasn't too bad before, but clearly something was upsetting my stomach!  I am slowly putting some weight back on, and my skin is so much clearer these days (not sure if that's the alkaline water or all the veg I eat!).

A very common theme running through this forum is anxiety, stress and depression.  For some, anxiety etc causes the reflux, but for some the reflux causes the anxiety!  Either way, there are some great tips on relaxtion on this forum (meditation being one I adopted!)

• Posted

I treated myself to some radox bubble bath this morning. Going to have a nice bath tonight. Finding having some water and some chewing gum eases it a bit whilst having my bath and listening to the radio.

Finding it v hard to relax and sit still. Have lots of housework to do so think I will district my mind a bit doing that. 

• Posted

In 2003 I had throat cancer followed by radiation. That gave me severe acid reflux. My radiographer, who was very senior and also very experienced gave me what she believed was the best way to combat it. It's a very old fashioned remedy but it worked for me. Go to Tesco's, Boots or any similar store and get a tub of Bi-Carbonate of Soda. Take 1/4 of a teaspoon, no more and disolve in half a glass of water. Drink before breakfast and repeat as necessary during the day but don't go mad because too much alkaline is not good. Sometimes it's better to drink this before a meal as well. Avoid spicy food if possible, no red wine, drink only 50% diluted white wine if you have to. Try and avoid fruit juices. No chocolate and  as little sugar as possible. No acid fruit like tomatoes, apples are good, citrus not so good. Sleep on your left side with a pillow between your knees to keep you from lying on your back. It worked for me. Best of luck with it. If it works for you then repeat when it comes back in life, if it does. However if it doesn't within teo to three weeks then you have to go back to the doctor.
    • Posted

My gp just said have gaviscom when I mentioned the baking soda idea. Not tried it yet but will give it a go!

I don't have much confidence in my doctor as this morning he suggested I have a stool test and not to have any tablets. I had to tell him I'd already had the test about a week ago and he gave me the results to say it was clear. It was obvious he had not read my notes! 

Ive vey suffered with anxiety and depression over the last ten years and have been in such a good place until the last three weeks. 

The eh acid reflux has made me very stressed out and the taste and sour throat is making me feel miserable and I can't concentrate on anything. 

I've decided to go back on the anxiety tablets for a while. That's all what the doctor really focused on. He didn't seem that interested in the reflux symptoms at all. I guess the symptoms of the reflux is making me stressed out! 

I don't drink alcohol which is good and have avoided fruit juices smile.

Thanks for the advice. Very much appreciate it! 

• Posted

Rob, don't be tempted to try too many things at once. One just cancells the other out. The problem with antacid tablets the doc gives you is that you have to swaollow them whole so they go straight to the stomach. With the Bi-Carb method the oesophagus gets watered as it goes down which helps tremendously. After it gets to the stomach you with burp a few times and that should be it. Just eat normally and don't chew gum that just stimilates the stomach to produce acid for the food it thinks coming down and that doesn't happen and don't eat beween meals just eat normally. Believe me it works. If you keep chopping and changing you will get nowhere fast!!
    • Posted

How many times a day with the bi carb did you limit it to? 

I just dont want to go overboard smile

Normally I'd have breakfast then a snack after my gym workout then some lunch and then evening dinner. 

Sorry to to be pain asking all these questions but it sounds as though you had it serious and know what it's like. 

Thanks 

Rob 

• Posted

Just to add to that, whatever you are trying, give it a good fews days or tries to see if it's working.  Somethings may give instant relief, but some you may need to try quite a few times.  Luckily, alkaline water had a 2 day response time for me otherwise I would probably have given that up as well!
  • Posted

Hi Rob

I have been suffering with Reflux for 8 months now so i know how you feel. For the first 6 months it was constantly every day from the moment i woke up. I ended up in A & E one time because i literally felt like someone was sitting on my chest and i was having a heart attck! I still get it now but less severe and i know what my triggers are. Also i got a lot of advice on here on what to try to help relieve it.

I now take a pro-biotic tablet of at least 20 billion bacteria in the morning, 1 30mg Lanzoprasole tablet (although i am thinking to changing to Nexium next time i go to the doctors) and Betaine HCL Digestive enzymes after every meal. I also now only drink almond milk and stay away from all caffeine and i can't tolerate vinegar at all. I found chocolate also gives me that horrid pressure feeling. I eat small meals and don't drink with my food or eat or drink 3 hours before bed. I have raised the head of my bed as well. I have also tried to up my water consumption as apparently long term dehydration can also cause acid reflux.

I think it really is a case of trying everything and persevering. Things don't improve overnight. I have had 2 endoscopys which came back negative and a colonoscopy too! I went through my private healthcare at work so was seen by a consultant and got the procedures done with 2 weeks each time. Generally the consultant will ask about your symptoms, what you have tried and then recommend the endoscopy which is nothing at all to worry about. I can't remember either of mine.

Good luck. Hope things improve.

• Posted

Thanks! I will certainly look into a pro biotic. Does it have to be in tablet form? 
    • Posted

Yes it does generally have to be a tablet. I get mine from a website called Healthspan but look around. My doctor also recommended taking them. Add them onto your ever expanding list smile
    • Posted

I got mine from Holland & Barrett to begin with, then someone recommended another brand so i bought some more from Amazon. A little more expensive but there's more in a pot. I would start with Holland and Barrett first because if they don't help you at all there's no point spending lots of money.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.