Constant Acid Reflux For 3 Weeks!

Posted , 29 users are following.

Hi,

ive vey had constant acid reflux for the last 3 weeks. I feel horrendous! 

It it feels like I've drunk a whole bottle of vinegar. My throat is sore. It's making me feel miserable and there has been no restbite from it. 

I've my diet and it's pretty much very alkaline and it's not bad any difference. I've reduced my portion sizes and spread my meals out and nothing- it's still there. Everytime I eat I have acid in my throat minutes after eating and it's there all day even when I've not eaten. 

Ive  had a stool test for H. pylori(Helicobacter pylori) and it's come back negative. I've also had a blood test which came back fine. 

My  doctor prescribed some 20mg ozerprazole which I took for a week. It did nothing. Went back to the doctors a week later and he upped it to 40mg. Another week later and that's not worked. 

I went back back to the doctors today and he has given me some Lansoprazole. 15mg to start with for a week and if that doesn't do anything 30mg for a week. 

He said if that doesn't clear things up he would have to refer me to the gastro people. 

Does anyone know how long the referral process takes and what happens when you go and see them? 

Also so does anyone have any tips to get rid of the vinegar taste in mouth. 

Currently I'm drinking lots of water and chewing a lot of sugar free gum. 

Thanks 

Rob

2 likes, 73 replies

73 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Maybe it could be because it gets so light in the mornings now? Plus don't you find that because you drink more water you need to pee more? 

Agree on waking up early though and having to cough a load of phlegm. 

• Posted

I'm also into exerciseto keep me fit. 

Do you all exercise? I've not done too much over these past few weeks but am thinking of doing some walking and cycling at the gym. When I feel stressed it helps me. I need to have goals smile

Any exercises you you avoid due to the reflux? 

• Posted

Yep, I was at the gym 3-4 times a week.  I stopped when I got refulx, but continued to go for a 20 min walk each day (minimum).  I read somewhere that running and lifting weights could increase the reflux, so I stopped immediately.  Also, if it's discovered that you have a hiatus hernia, those exercises can cause problems too.

I think cycling and walking on the treadmill are excellent exercises.  Anything that doesn't 'jar' the abdomen and stomach etc area.  I am planning to be back in the gym in the next couple of weeks, but am starting my first yoga session tonight! :-)

• Posted

That's great! I go to Pilates. Wasn't feeling very well last Saturday but was determined to go and it made me feel better. Am also going to download some meditations to listen to to distress. I'm thinking of taking up yoga myself at some point. I'm not very coordinated though smile
  • Posted

With regards to how much or how many times, it's really falls into 'how long is a piece of string'. Just take your time don't go jumping around in gyms just go for walks, relax, enjoy yourself. Work on the idea that 'if you think you need excercise, lie down until it wears off'. You are stressing yourself out worrying about this and it would seem you're dashing around in circles trying to do what everone suggests at once. That will never work. Try my method for 2 to 3 weeks because believe me if you've had cancer, had your throat cut to remove it with chance of survival at 40/60 then 6 weeks of radiation ... you are stressed. Best of luck to you.
    • Posted

Thanks for the great advice! You have reassured me massively with your last paragraph! Puts things into a lot of perspective. 
    • Posted

As they say in Oz, "Good on yer mate". The best of luck to you. Let me know how you get on. By the way I'm 75 and I ain't giving up yet.........  
  • Posted

Thanks for your kindness. Going through all that treatment must have been horrendous for you.

Took some advice and have not picked up a stick if chewing gum yet after lunch smile. Keeping myself busy and distracting myself. 

• Posted

Rob, if you tried the ant-acids and it's worse. Do you feel bloated. Then the problem could be low stomach acid. Symptoms for excess acid and low acid are the same. I have low acid and get immediate relief using digestive enzymes with betaine hcl. The sore throat can be a result of acid reflux. Pepsin gets embedded in the osophagus and is activated each time you have a drink. A high alkaline drink will neutralise the pepsin. Also hiatus hernia can cause your symptoms. Coconut oil can cure your mouth. Research coconut oil pulling. One lady on this forum had a similar problem. I told her about the coconut oil and she reported big improvement within 24 hours.
    • Posted

Sometimes. My appetite has decreased somewhat and I my stomach makes a fair few gurgling sounds. What's coconut oil pulling? 

• Posted

Hi Rob, coconut oil pulling. Coconut oil has anti bacterial, anti-inflammatory and anti-fungal properties. It sets at room temperature but melts just above room temp. It doesn't go rancid like other fats so can be kept at room temp for a long time. It is a saturated fat but the good kind so not to worry about cholesterol. It is a powerfull fuel for muscle and the brain. To use it for oil pulling place a teaspoon full in the mouth. It will melt quickly. Swish it round the mouth sucking it between the teeth for about 12min. Then spit it out don't swallow it, it will be full of the toxins from your mouth. If you can't manage 12min that's ok you can build up to that. I think it's called pulling because you suck or pull the oil through your teeth. It's a big thing with body builders for muscle fuel and film stars because it helps to lose weight. I add a spoonful to my cup off tea. Last week my son had a bad tooth abscess and pulling gave relief within 24hours. It does a lot more check out coconut oil and dementia on you tube. 
    • Posted

Thanks! I'm going to have a look at see where I can get some from. Guessing Holland and Barrett must sell it? 
    • Posted

Rob, I bought mine from H & H and my brother in law bought the same size jar for half the price so shop around. However I rate the enzymes from H & H.
  • Posted

Hi, not sure if anyone has mentioned this earlier but I saw on someone's reply that they suggested this may be to do with low stomach acid rather than excess stomach acid. Again not to bombard you with suggestions because it seems like you have enough already but there is a test you can do with baking soda to see if you have too much or too little stomach acid and it is fairly accurate (although not 100%) as far as I am aware. It involves drinking water in the morning on an empty stomach with a little baking soda and you wait a certain amount of minutes and see how much you belch, have a look on the web for it it is fairly simple to do.
    • Posted

Hi Adam,

Thanks for the tip. Just seems the ppi's are not doing anything at all. I've tried eating very clean and smaller portions. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.