Constant Acid Reflux For 3 Weeks!

Posted , 29 users are following.

Hi,

ive vey had constant acid reflux for the last 3 weeks. I feel horrendous! 

It it feels like I've drunk a whole bottle of vinegar. My throat is sore. It's making me feel miserable and there has been no restbite from it. 

I've my diet and it's pretty much very alkaline and it's not bad any difference. I've reduced my portion sizes and spread my meals out and nothing- it's still there. Everytime I eat I have acid in my throat minutes after eating and it's there all day even when I've not eaten. 

Ive  had a stool test for H. pylori(Helicobacter pylori) and it's come back negative. I've also had a blood test which came back fine. 

My  doctor prescribed some 20mg ozerprazole which I took for a week. It did nothing. Went back to the doctors a week later and he upped it to 40mg. Another week later and that's not worked. 

I went back back to the doctors today and he has given me some Lansoprazole. 15mg to start with for a week and if that doesn't do anything 30mg for a week. 

He said if that doesn't clear things up he would have to refer me to the gastro people. 

Does anyone know how long the referral process takes and what happens when you go and see them? 

Also so does anyone have any tips to get rid of the vinegar taste in mouth. 

Currently I'm drinking lots of water and chewing a lot of sugar free gum. 

Thanks 

Rob

2 likes, 73 replies

73 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

i have the same problem and its really worrying me sad is it a normal condition? im 19 years old and have been to the doctors but the pills they have given me havnt had any effect yet and ive had them for almost a week now, 
  • Posted

Hi Rob

i have been affecting with acid reflux for a couple of years now.

i take Omeprazole when I feel it coming on which seems to work now.

however I used to get it really bad, where I ended up in bed holding my chest in agony. A friend gave me a remedy which seems to work if it's very bad..

Omeprazole 20 gm morning and night,  Amoxycilin 250 mg twice a day and Fagyl 200ml once a day . Take for a full 14 days ... Avoid alcohol ... 

This really worked for me as I don't seem to get it bad anymore...

Hope it helps ! 

• Posted

Hi Rob and anyone else reading this.  In a nutshell -

I was diagnosed with H Pylori in November 2014 - I was just feeling a little nauseus but no other symptoms, certainly no acid reflux.

I trusted the NHS and had eradication with 2 x anti biotics but still felt a little nauseus.

I then had a endoscopy, the day after the endoscopy and ever since (6 months) i have had acid reflux.

I was prescribed PPIs which at first I was reluctant to take but my GP pursuaded me to - that was my first mistake.  They did not help at all.  I started getting breathing problems and heart flutters.  I went to A&E but they just don't know anything about this condition and went through all the standard ECG etc. but without understanding the condition they will always diagnose wrong.

I am trying to come off the PPIs  they have long term side effects, especially for females post menopausal due to risk of fractures.

I  have tried Gaviscon Advance which does seem to help a little.

I have LPR from the acid/pepsin reflux which is effecting my throat, Larynx ears etc.

My biggest problem is breathing issues, I have told my Consultant and GP about this but they do not even acknowledge this as a possiblity, they should read the millions of people on these forums who also have the same symptoms.

I believe now that the problem is PPIs reduce the acid so much that it builds up a pressure in the abdomen which then pushes on the diagphgram/lungs causing a pressure which makes it difficult to breath.  There is probably not enough acid, never mind too much which means food is not digested and produces pressure which builds up and pushes on the diaghgram making it diffifult to breath.  As I am writing this, I am having such bad breathing that I decided that i needed some acid to actually digest my food and release some pressure. The quickest method I could think of was a glass of white wine (I have had no alcohol for months!).  It is now 3.00am in the morning and I am sitting here having a glass of wine, my breathing is starting to get better (and no, it is not down to anxiety, I have tested this by having a valium which has no effect whatsoever). I think the wine is starting to help digest food stuck in my stomach and thereby releasing pressure on the diagphram.  I wish I could go back 6 months, I would never have had the anti biotics for the H Pylori, I believe (as do some experts now) that H Pylori can live in our systems for a long time and do no harm, but sometimes in states of anxiety it can rear its head.  If left alone it will sort itself out.  Nature takes care of itselt in the end, the only winners in all of this are the Pharmaceutical companies who make money out of the billions of prescriptions for PPIs they give out all over the world. I think that one day there will be claims against these companies for the long term effects of being on these tablets.  I do think there is a need for the Gaviscon whilst the LES is repairing but i will no longer take these tablets, and try and let nature cure me (failing that at least I may feel better with the odd glass of wine)  Good luck to everyone out there suffering with this awful condition. 

• Posted

Hi Gail, I am having the same symptoms after the H Poliry eradication. I was perfectly fine before...how are you feeling now. Any suggestions? All the best, Tony
  • Posted

Hi rob this is exactly me, day and night for 8 weeks now. REFERAL not until 11 may...What happened after with you...? I am very frightened...
    • Posted

Hi DGR, me as well.  What has happened with you may I ask?

Best,

Paul

• Posted

Hi Paul

I'm suffering for acid reflux 6weeks already my doctor give me nexium because of acid .ppi's cant work about they just less the acid produce there jist blocking the acid that can be treaten to every one health. Side effect pf those drugs like long term og using antacid can be cause hypetension and lng term use of ppi's can cause alzhiemers disease ( if im not mistaken ) . I try natural remedies i do research day and night . Avoid those that can irritate yung stomach such fatty food. Spicy. Coffee .tea.mint. try trial and error food taste then list those foods that you and feel it if youre systemos kinda word then avoid that food . And try drinking water every 30 mins to dilute your stomach acid 2-3sip of water it will be ok. And try to drink ginger tea every morning 20 mins before you had your breakfast . And reasearch about gluten bacause gluten can one of the cause of acid reflux. I'm not yetokay that I ise to be but I'm ok bow tgat last month I hope you will be okay too. And by the way eat 1 apple a days eat banana 3x a

I hope i this will help you

• Posted

Hi rob, I know it's being a while since you posted but would love to know how you doing as I started having all your symptoms for the past four weeks. I am so down and with three small children I am losing the will to live with this. Please let me know if you have found anything that helps as I'm at the end of my rope. I'm on 300mg of Zantac each day for the past 5 days with no help. Have lost 12 pounds in two weeks. Really would love to hear from you at anyone with advice.
    • Posted

In the same situation Lisa - constant non  stop reflux with 2 children - nearly impossible. I have been so down and anxious that I am unable to function...

• Posted

Hi Rob - exactly same for me on lanzoprazole 30mg 2x day + raniditine - 12 kilos down and still nothing helps. Any news from you?

• Posted

At doctor again this morning and on lansoprazole 30mg twice a day and anxiety tablets buspirone 15mg a day. I'm hoping something gives me relief as I'm so down and feeling so horrible. No quality of life at all. How long have you being on the lansoprazole? Would love to know if rob was doing any better.
  • Posted

Hi Rob and others

This discussion has been very interesting.

I have suffered from Acid Reflux for about 6 months now, I have to confess, my symptoms do not seem to be as bad as others on this forum but bad enough to make research the topic thoroughly online.

My symptoms started with just a feeling of a lump in my throat which is pretty tame but it is annoying because it is always there. Over Christmas where I drank a bit more alcohol (but not as much as I usually do!) and ate out several times, it escalated into burning in my throat. I went to doctor and was firstly prescribed omeprazole which did nothing to help. In January the burning in my throat was no better so went to a different doctor who advsed me about my diet (I have cut out microwave meals and cook most of my meals now in batches but had to learn how to cook! not a bad thing!) and prescribed 300mg of ranitidine a day which cleared it up within a few days. I thought I was cured for ever and a month later went on a big night out and along with my hangover the symptoms returned, along with chest pain this time! Cue a repeat prescription of ranitidine.

Now several months down the line, it finally appeared to be clearing up by itself 2 weeks ago and I was delighted! Then I had the flu last week and didn't eat much for a full week and lost 6lb (not a bad thing!). This week my appetite is back to normal and the reflux is as bad as it was at Christmas sad cpould it really be because I ate very little for a week and then ate normally again? It seems you can't win!

Off to a wedding tomorrow and going to try to the new Nexium (esomeprazole) tablets that are available over the counter to see if they help at all. The advert seems convincing!

Apologies for the long post and if my symptoms aren't as serious as everyone else's but this is really getting me down, as you never feel 100% healthy with reflux! Thanks

• Posted

Nexium cause me very bad side effects...you can goggle it and many complained of it side effects!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.