constant chest/breast discomfort/pain!

Posted , 77 users are following.

Im wondering if anyone can help reassure me or give me some advice I have constant chest pain/discomfort/heavy pressure feeling in my chest and also in my left breast area it scares the hell out of me and then I get really bad pain between my shoulder blades! I know its not anxiety or panic attacks because I do suffer with them so I know what to expect but this is just a constant ache I have I just can't describe it, ache/pain/discomfort/pressure feeling, I had ecgs and blood tests a month ago when this all started and they was fine I had a chest x ray that was also fine, it's really concerning me as to the fact its still there after numerous medications e.g seriods, antibiotocs and painkillers (ibuprofen and co codamol) doctor assumed I had pleurisy or something called costochondritis - this hasn't been confirmed he just said that's what it could be! Im currently taking propanolol 10mg twice daily to calm my anxiety because doctors also believe I have that too im convinced its my heart the propanolol has calmed my heart rate (it was constantly pounding) im just so confused as to why I have this constant chest discomfort making me feel like something bad is constantly going to happen! Im sick of going to my gp for him to say its anxiety I know for a fact it isn't anxiety because this is constant and it's the only symptom I have got whereas when I do have a panic/anxiety attack I get every symptom under the sun! Im going to ask my doctor to refer me to a cardiologist as I really do think it's my heart its constantly on my left side and also centre of my chest I know its not pleurisy or costochondritis as my doctor says because my chest x ray was clear!! Can someone please tell me if they have had this before, how they got rid of it or what it is please im going out of my mind! I feel like im not breathing all the time obviously I am but that's how I feel my chest just feels shallow and someone sat on it constantly sad im 22 female and petrified it's my heart or im going to have a heart attack or something

7 likes, 108 replies

108 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I get a lot of pain in my chest area and ribs on the left. Anxiety symptoms don't just hit in panic attacks unfortunately, they can persist for the entire time we suffer with the problem
  • Posted

Try asking to visit psychotherapy rather than a gp, doctors in general aren't trained for mental health issues
  • Posted

hi laura.i was exactly like you.pain shoulders arm left and other wierd things of chest I was like that more than one week.realy rough time I was sure I am going to have a heart attacks in those days.but finaly they went away.yours will disappear too.so dont worry its not your heart.
  • Posted

I really do feel for you, I'm in the same boat. I get a lot of chest pain with my anxiety, but nothing like I've experienced since Wednesday. It had been constant, no relief from it and even wakes me up. It normally on the left side, just above breast, and also shoulder and top of back. It's so horrible. I've never had it this bad before. So your not alone. I feel like mine is not anxiety this time, that it's something else, my gp always pins everything on my anxiety too. But I'm going to make an appt tomorrow, just for piece of mind if anything. Bloody nightmare.
    • Posted

when doctors don't understand,they put it down to anxiety especially male doctors.  The only thing gps are good at are writing priscriptions, not curing people.
    • Posted

That's definitely true. I know more about anxiety and panic disorders than they do. My doctor always says, come back if it doesn't go away. Never helps me there and then.
    • Posted

Hi Cara, I am going through this also. I see your post is quite old and was wondering if you ever resolved any of it? Praying for everyone afflicted with this. Thanks so much
    • Posted

Me then haha. I laugh but I'm actually terrified and just scrolling through old discussions to find the answer. Never works. 

• Posted

I'm having the same problem, for the past four days i have been having constant pressure or tightness in my chest. It doesn't go away. My gp told me it was anxiety but I wasn't convinced and he told me to try and control it myself which I couldn't do. Ended up in a&e after IT got worse and they did and ecg blood tests and an X-ray and all came back clear, now waiting on an appointment for an echo! Really starting to panic now!
    • Posted

It could be GORD, reflux can cause tightness in the chest. I had tightness in the chest cause by reflux.  Try eating evening meal early , at least three hours before bed.  
    • Posted

Hi James. I'm going through this also. I see your post is quite old. How are you doing these days? Sure hope that you have resolved this issue. Praying for all afflicted with this. thanks

• Posted

Sounds like GERD. Bad reflux. I have gotten that and i have bad GERD. I use a pepcid or one of those belly pills to calm down the acid and a karge glass of water. Some probiotics can probably be useful too. The belly takes a hard hit from  Health anxiety is a parf of panic   disorder. I think very bright people get health anxiety as well. Think about all the searches and reading we do when we get nervous. We could probably all get together and run a clinic. 
    • Posted

Was your pain on the left side and in your back? I've just been to gp and she didn't really know what it was, so gave me ranitidine tablets for acid reflux. I thought with that the pain would be more central?
    • Posted

I've got reflux and the pain was on the right hand side of my chest radiating to my throat, I also had chest tightness.  I also use to think that reflux pain would be more central, but not in my case.
    • Posted

I suffer from health anxiety, I'm constantly thinking something is wrong with me from cancer, brain tumours and heart attacks, I've had an ECG and blood tests and they both came back clear, but as soon as I get the slightest twinge I think I'm dying. I'm a 42 year old Singh mum and my biggest fear is leaving my boys without a mum, it makes me really upset which brings on the anxiety and panic so it's a vicious circle

• Posted

Maybe thats your core fear. The one that started this all for you. Instead of trying to find some non existent disease maybe try seeing a therapist and joing a single mums support group. I highly doubt your the only one with these fears. Its scary being a single mum. A lot of pressure and stress on you. A lot. 
    • Posted

Hi Laura I have exactly what you just said. Health anxiety. I didn't know what to call it before reading your post I just know it's anxiety. And its about my health. I just spent 3 weeks thinking I had some kind of cancer bcuz I was sick n Dr didn't know why ... n now I'm having a pain in my left breast and don't know if it's heart attack or what... I hate this. It is a vicious cycle ... it's ruining my life!!!!

• Posted

U are not alone and ist the only one.. i myself suffer from the same thing any little twitch or pain on my head or chest area i fear the worst. I have alot of anxiety and always have had chest pain for over two years now it comes and goes. Doctors allways tell me its anxiety related. Bt it still scares me i mainly get my anxiety from the same symptoms.. jst wanted to let u kno ur not the only one going threw it hope u overcome all fear and anxiety one day were on the same journy God bless..
    • Posted

I feel you, I've been going through the same thing for almost a month now...I'm getting panic attacks more often.

I'm a mom of 3 and I think about who would be here for them if not me. It's so scary, but I pray about it and I try to keep my mind on positive things but it's so hard.

It's good to know I am not alone!

• Posted

I was just found out I have anxity only had it for 4mon but reading ur post it sounds like me I am scared something wrong with me I have 2 kids and I'm s single mom

• Posted

I’m in the exact same boat, I also suffer from severe health anxiety and it’s really trying to control my life, always seem to be thinking there’s something wrong with my health or something bass going to happen. Have you ever tried cbt?
    • Posted

Hi Lucas, how is your health anxiety at the moment.. I also suffer from health anxiety.. wondering if you have found something that actually can control it 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.