constant chest/breast discomfort/pain!

Posted , 77 users are following.

Im wondering if anyone can help reassure me or give me some advice I have constant chest pain/discomfort/heavy pressure feeling in my chest and also in my left breast area it scares the hell out of me and then I get really bad pain between my shoulder blades! I know its not anxiety or panic attacks because I do suffer with them so I know what to expect but this is just a constant ache I have I just can't describe it, ache/pain/discomfort/pressure feeling, I had ecgs and blood tests a month ago when this all started and they was fine I had a chest x ray that was also fine, it's really concerning me as to the fact its still there after numerous medications e.g seriods, antibiotocs and painkillers (ibuprofen and co codamol) doctor assumed I had pleurisy or something called costochondritis - this hasn't been confirmed he just said that's what it could be! Im currently taking propanolol 10mg twice daily to calm my anxiety because doctors also believe I have that too im convinced its my heart the propanolol has calmed my heart rate (it was constantly pounding) im just so confused as to why I have this constant chest discomfort making me feel like something bad is constantly going to happen! Im sick of going to my gp for him to say its anxiety I know for a fact it isn't anxiety because this is constant and it's the only symptom I have got whereas when I do have a panic/anxiety attack I get every symptom under the sun! Im going to ask my doctor to refer me to a cardiologist as I really do think it's my heart its constantly on my left side and also centre of my chest I know its not pleurisy or costochondritis as my doctor says because my chest x ray was clear!! Can someone please tell me if they have had this before, how they got rid of it or what it is please im going out of my mind! I feel like im not breathing all the time obviously I am but that's how I feel my chest just feels shallow and someone sat on it constantly sad im 22 female and petrified it's my heart or im going to have a heart attack or something

7 likes, 108 replies

108 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Laura and Group --- the same here --- I continue to have a pressure of pain in the middle of my chest and it radiates to my left side above my breast and under my armpit. I went to the ER and my EKG, Blood work and Lung X-RAY were all Normal -- in fact, they said at 56 of age my Heart is like a 20 year old. At my gp they did find a Possible link to an auto-immune disease via a  blood test; I need to see a Neurologist and a Rheumatologist now... There are at least 80 auto-immune diseases - so it could be Lupus, MS or Chronic Fatigue Syndrome or Fibramyalgia. My sister is concerned because she just had a complete mastectomy and claims she had pain above her breast and it would show in a sonogram if this was Breast related - but w/out a mammogram I can Not get a sonogram to rule-in or rule-out breast tumors. I think it is more neurological because of my irisitis and other muscle pains.... GOOD LUCK TO ALL !!!
    • Posted

Hi I was just wondering if you found out what was wrong with you. Your pain sounds just like mine. With underarm pain and all. I really hope it's nothing going serious. If you could write back I would highly appreciate it .

• Posted

Hello Amelia. I have the same issue. Dull pain mainly on the side and above my right breast and armpit. I also have gone to ER thinking it might be my heart. All teast came about normal, my ekg was perfectly normal.

Have you found out anything new as if to what this horrible thing might be?

• Posted

Yes I have the feeling..especially when trying to sleep..I also found out I have h pylori which causes gerd. Just started medicine which cause side effects so im really going crazy...but I keep telling myself im ok...good luck..we all go through it
    • Posted

Hi i just read ur text,i had dat bacteria before then i took antibiotics,and h pylori was negative,but im still not sure about dat test i think i have dat bacteria again,did you have any symptoms?i have upper stomach pain
  • Posted

Just wondering what became of all of this?  It's Sept. 8th, 2016 and I'm really in pain in the upper back, between the shoulder blades, and the left side of chest above my breast.  I've been to the emergency room 2 times in the past 8 years because I thought I was having a heart attack, but after many tests both times everything was fine, even Echo was "amazing for 52".  That's what I was told.   This is so annoying and also I'm so tired because every time I try to sleep my upper back hurts so bad I can't relax, sleep.

• Posted

Have you found a reason for your problem, I have the same symptoms.
  • Posted

I have the same pains, and have been told it's reflux.  I have had people tell me it sounds like gallbladder issues.  I'm tired of not feeling well.  I go to a GI dr next week

• Posted

I'm not sure, this is what I have heard.  I'm going to ask my GP tomorrow for a script for an ultrasound so we can rule out the gallbladder.

• Posted

Hi Laura

I have suffered constant chest pain for over 3 months now and it never lets up. It's really bad right now as I'm replying to your thread that it makes me want to take a trip to the ER again, knowing that I was there 6 days ago for the same thing. Ive had ecgs, blood tests, chest X-ray, abdominal scan, seen a cardiologist and a stress test riding the bike and everything is normal. My gp doesn't know what else to do with me so I'm seeking another gp. I also see a psychologist once a week and everything is put down the stress and anxiety. Hard to believe that constant chest pain can be caused by this but I've ran out of options to think other than I'm going to drop dead from my heart. I feel your pain and your worries. I'm on lexapro but only been on for them for 4 weeks and have been put up to 20mg. If you would like to talk too me privately then don't hesitate. Im here for you and everyone else.

• Posted

I am 42 and have suffered from left side chest pain for at least 5 years. I have had numerous chest X-rays, echo, CT scans countless lab test and ekg's and can only find a little scar tissue. I had two pneuthorax's in 2003. I finally told my doctor to just put down unspecified chest pain in medical record. Just wondering if any others have had a lung collapse?

• Posted

Did you have shingles?  That's what I found out today that's what I have.  Pain in shoulder and around to my breast.  No sleep.  Only time I could get the pain to stop awhile was to take a hot bath and sit back and read a book.  But can't stay in bath all day... Glad my friend insisted that I go to emergency to find out what was going on.  Felt like I ripped all the muscles in my shoulder apart, but I hadn't done anything  strenuous  to cause such pain. 

• Posted

I had a collapsed lung about 4 years ago after being bucked off a horse.  This pain felt just like that, but only in my shoulder and left breast.  Turned out to be shingles.  I had the vaccine about a year ago, but I guess it didn't prevent it.  Maybe it will heal in a shorter period of time.  Only time will tell.  Just found out today what it is, and starting pills today for pain and antivirus. So far, the pain pills have worked a miracle. Might be able to sleep tonight.

• Posted

I have had troubles with anxiety attacks and generalized anxiety disorder since I was 18 I am now 55 although it's not constantly there anymore still like you it still scares the hell out of me the best thing that I've done and waited way too long to do was take yoga class it teaches you how to breathe and how to keep calm and it just an overall good feeling you can see if that will help my heart goes out to you cuz I know exactly how you feel keep strong and you can get through it you just have to tell yourself it's a panic attack and sometimes it will keep it from being a full-blown panic attack

• Posted

Hi, I am really suffering tonight, I'm considering calling A&E as it's really bad!!!

My chest is unbearable and my heart beat is pounding and it's really scaring me, it's in the centre of my chest and it goes up into my throat and I can feel my heartbeat in my throat.

I was fine when I woke up today and it's gradually got worse and the more I think about it the worse it gets. Please someone help or give some advice as I'm really suffering and I have 2 children here who need me!!!!

• Posted

How are you now Laura? I'm the same I've been a&e 3 times in the last month! & got chest pain in the middle if chest comes & goes & goes into my throat! It's hard to believe that this is anxiety!!!

• Posted

Hi I also get the chest pain and this werid feeling in my throats. They told me it's anxiety but how...I get it to when I eat so I'm scared to eat. N my heart hurts all the time but they say it's anxiety!

• Posted

Hi Monica, your symptoms sound just like mine. The chest and left breast pain and the throat problem, well I thought that was just me. Obviously don't want anyone else to have it but I am glad that I am not alone in a strange way. First time on here. Certainly have a lot of anxieties. Regards, Rachel

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.