constant chest/breast discomfort/pain!

Posted , 77 users are following.

Im wondering if anyone can help reassure me or give me some advice I have constant chest pain/discomfort/heavy pressure feeling in my chest and also in my left breast area it scares the hell out of me and then I get really bad pain between my shoulder blades! I know its not anxiety or panic attacks because I do suffer with them so I know what to expect but this is just a constant ache I have I just can't describe it, ache/pain/discomfort/pressure feeling, I had ecgs and blood tests a month ago when this all started and they was fine I had a chest x ray that was also fine, it's really concerning me as to the fact its still there after numerous medications e.g seriods, antibiotocs and painkillers (ibuprofen and co codamol) doctor assumed I had pleurisy or something called costochondritis - this hasn't been confirmed he just said that's what it could be! Im currently taking propanolol 10mg twice daily to calm my anxiety because doctors also believe I have that too im convinced its my heart the propanolol has calmed my heart rate (it was constantly pounding) im just so confused as to why I have this constant chest discomfort making me feel like something bad is constantly going to happen! Im sick of going to my gp for him to say its anxiety I know for a fact it isn't anxiety because this is constant and it's the only symptom I have got whereas when I do have a panic/anxiety attack I get every symptom under the sun! Im going to ask my doctor to refer me to a cardiologist as I really do think it's my heart its constantly on my left side and also centre of my chest I know its not pleurisy or costochondritis as my doctor says because my chest x ray was clear!! Can someone please tell me if they have had this before, how they got rid of it or what it is please im going out of my mind! I feel like im not breathing all the time obviously I am but that's how I feel my chest just feels shallow and someone sat on it constantly sad im 22 female and petrified it's my heart or im going to have a heart attack or something

7 likes, 108 replies

108 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I going through the same symptoms just had xrays done today waiting for results constant pain on left side above breast and shoulder pain just don't know im so anxious

• Posted

Laura did yours end up going away or calming down?? I get your exact symptoms, and I have been in a constant state of panic for two days now.. I keep having chest pains right at the edge of my left breast near the center, very dull aches. What's concerning me is I keep having them when I'm up and moving around, which is making me worried I have an angina. Echo, bloodwork, holter and ekgs have always been clear.. I can't stand the bad days anymore

• Posted

Reading your post and you have exactly what I am feeling. Chest pain on my left great near Center. It seems like it is always there and then occasionally get a sharp twinge which lasts for a second. Scaring the crap out of me. Did you ever get a diagnosis

• Posted

Me too rn honestly can't deal anymore my heart hurts sad, I feel like everytime it comes it back back worse I can't seem to convince my mind that it has happened to me before and it's fine, now my right hip area hurts. I feel like my body is slowly breaking

• Posted

Hi Laura!

My name is Darby and I'm only 1,  a few months ago I was hit with sudden, severe anxiety. I panicked for hours, sometimes days which came with physical symptoms likes chest pains, sometimes it was a tightness, sometimes it was a burning sensation. I also feared I was having a heart attack, I couldn't sleep, afraid I would die in my sleep. I went to ER twice, had an EKG and 3 doctor's opinions only to be told I was completely healthy. Which was unbelievable for me, I was completely healthy but knew something was wrong, my body had convinced me something was wrong. I went to a psychiatrist and I'm currently taking an antidepressant, Lexapro 10mg, to stabilize myself, I've heard those who are able to overcome these things without medication through simply exercising more, going to therapy or meditating. I never thought I would feel better, I feared I'd have to live in this constant fear of death but after a few weeks I started to get better and now, while I still have my bad days, I'm able to enjoy things and I feel like myself again. I had many physical symptoms for someone who was completely healthy physically, everyone has their own share. Before Lexapro I toke another antidepressant which didn;t suit me well so don't be discouraged if you take medical route and doesn't gets results immediately.

I wish you the best of luck! I hope you start feeling betters soon,

Darby :>  

• Posted

I'm only 19*

Woops, sorry 'bout that typo! I am not only 1! xP

• Posted

It's somewhat comforting to read the original post and all these replies. I dealt with these exact symptoms for about a week. I went to the ER (3rd time with similar symptoms in a year) they did an EKG, blood work, x-ray, and cardio cat scan with iodine. I was told my heart arteries and valves were as clean as a whistle and I had the heart of a 12 year old. I'm 37. I thought after leaving my mind would settle and so would my symptoms, it has happened in the past. I'm taking 40 mg of omeprazole and the symptoms are milder but not gone. I have random heart palpitations as well. I started just yesterday waking up to extreme, intense, abdominal (gas?) pain and diarrhea for a few hours after that pain. Then that goes away but it came back the exact same the next morning. So now I'm having the burning in left side of chest, some twinges of pain there too, shoulder and some back pain (milder but ongoing dull ache) and the morning bouts of excruciating pain and diarrhea. I have had all these symptoms independent of one another off and on for a couple of years. Now they are all at once and full force. I'm feeling major depressed. I'm going back to my primary tomorrow. Past diagnosis/ Rheumatoid Arthritis, Hashimotos Thyroiditis and Fibromyalgia. My body seems to hate me. sad

I'm taking probiotics consistently now and just put in my bloodwork today to check on my thyroid levels. I have read a billion posts (how I came across this) and it seems like possibly GERD and IBS. Who knows, but I have to figure this stuff out because I'm driving myself crazy with worry which I'm sure is not helping my symptoms. I hope you all have found relief.

• Posted

I don't think you are crazy. I have the same issue. I've been evaluated in urgent care for the chest pain and all EKGs, x-rays, and labs came back normal. They diagnosed me with walking pneumonia but the urgent a cares here all say that which is another way of them saying they do not know. The pain is still here just behind my left breast and a bit around my side. I have also experienced the pain between my shoulder blades. My husband is a doctor and tells me it's gas or chostochondritis too. I also have anxiety attacks and it's nothing to do with them. I hope we can both find a solution. I plan to seek further care soon.

• Posted

OMG!!!!!!! I seriously love you all. This forum comforted me tremendously tonight. I mean, i never want to see others in pain but to know that I'm not going through this alone is comforting. I found this by gooling pain in my left breast with back pain. I hate to google things because it always just sends my panic attacks into a complete frenzy! But i had to tonight. I thought i was about to have a heart attack while cooking some turkey burgers. So here's a little background history first.......... 6 years ago i was unknowingly 1 month pregnant with my son. Never did drugs or even second hand smoke ever!!! I unknowingly ate some puff puff 😕 brownies one night after getting home from work that hubby made. He was in bathroom. I ate enough for 2. Long story short at 119 pds 25yr at the time, my body responded like i smoked crack pipe. I ended up unconscious on a heart monitor in ICU for 2 weeks. Tachycardia 175 and doctors flying in across country. I thought i was going to die!!!!!! It was that serious. You could literally see my heart palpitating through my shirt those 2 weeks. Also discovered my pregnancy through bloodwork during those 2 weeks. I never experienced any form of anxiety before that i even thought it was something people made up as an excuse in life. Because of that incident, for past 5 years i have developed that disease where every breath i take i think im going to die seriously. My husband has to hold my hands at times look me in the eyes and help me breathe or i will faint. It's horrible and scary. Because of that incident I'm afraid to lay on my husband's chest or hear anyones heartbeat or I'll panic. If I'm sitting still or laying down to slepp it gives my mind time to think and my heart starts to pump fast and my hands sweat and my head starts to throb and i start to feel like i can't swallow and then there's no stopping the thoughts after that. I sit there and tell myself its all good. But my brain says HELL NAH it ain't all good you're about to die!!!! Like wth!!!!! Just writing this I'm sweating and I can't stop thinking i have breasts cancer or brain tumor or some form of disease. But every doctors visit for past 5 years have read better than normal. I've had ekg,sonograms,monogram,mri,ct,ultrasound,neurologist,bloodwork EVERYTHING. Doctors always end up diagnosing with anxiety. Yes, i have anxiety but i know pain that should or shouldn't be in my body at 31 and i eat organic/natural and no meds. My left breast even sometimes the nipple hurts even the armpit and the wall tissue behind the left breasts. My spine and back feels like hell on wheels and sometimes strechting or breathing the wrong way makes it worse. My lower left rib hurts and my limbs fall asleep quick if i lay on them. Stinging in my feet sometimes and joint pain for no reason. Sometimes I'm just chillin and breathin on the couch and my inhale turns me stiff and im afraid to move under left breast. They say your organs are beautiful heart is strong no disease. So why do i feel like I've come back from the dead and living in a 150 year old body. Fibromyalgia??? Underlying immune disease???? Wtf is wrong with me. I have a little better control over my anxiety compared to 5 years ago because i tell myself in a joking manner "its just a panic attack" and laugh internally. Sounds dumb i know. But it works SOMETIMES..... Tonight that left breast pain/back pain/nausea/arm pain had me about to call 911. Luckily it's gone now after writing my ridiculously LONG reply. Sorry gals!!!!!!

• Posted

Thanks for writing of your experience, Erica. And how are you? I was also diagnosed with anxiety a few months ago. Went to several Doctors who classed it as the same thing. My parents died 5 months apart and I've been struggling with the same issues. I won't get too much into my symptoms which are very much like yours in addition to chronic insomnia and recently my heart rate and BP is up. I'm trying the natural route but it seems I may just have too try using meds. I've recently read about magnesium and have started taking the supplements last night. It's crazy that so much of us are experiencing these symptoms yet our doctors can't seem to know or even care about what we're going through.

Pray that we all get a solution soon.

Blessings ?

• Posted

Laura,

?I might say things you dont want to hear, because you keep hearing it. You say you have a panic disorder and you think you recognize all the symptoms but....

?Its not just the symptoms that hit you with the attack. There are chemical,neurological, muscular symptoms that hang in there all the time until you really learn to unwind. A good percentage of people with panic disorder have chest, shoulder, heart symptoms. Not only when they are having attack, but lingering symptoms that are difficult to get rid of. Especially if you are constantly looking things up online, worrying about the problem etc. It does seem youve had the necessary tests and all looks good. So now you need to really relax all those symptoms somehow. Taking long walks (without thinking about that), hot tubs, eating well. Lets put it this way. If you tell me you have no anxiety at all for weeks, are very relaxed and are not obsessing over your symptoms, and you STILL have symptoms, id be very surprised. But we cant say that right now can we?

• Posted

Alan,

My pains in my chest etc have moved into my neck/head, I've had a headache for about 3 days on and off, it's fine first thing in the morning because I've slept and had a good rest but gradually throughout the day it creeps up on me.

I'm now convinced I have a brain tumour and to say it's getting me down is an understatement!!!

I've just started a new job so I've been training all last week so it's been a lot of info to take in so it could well be stress or tension but it's really getting me down sad

• Posted

Hi

New to this discussion. I too have been having left chest/brest pain for 3 weeks now. Have seen my doctor 3 times to no avail, keep being given the 'anxiety' diaganosis even though I know the difference between anxiety synptoms and other symptoms. He won't refer me for further tests so I'm unsure how to go about getting tested for an underlying health proplem. Is it a case of going to a&e to get any tests done?

Also how are you now feeling Laura, have any of your symptoms subsided?

• Posted

I have this most days, my doctor is good. I have ibs which is a nightmare, am struggling. Have an appointment with gastrointestinal dept. With the panic attacks am really even scared to go there
  • Posted

I went to emergency today because of burning pain in shoulder blade and radiated around and through left breast.  Constant pain and unable to sleep for three nights because of pain.  Doc knew what it was almost at once, but did a EKG, and ex ray of chest.  Both tests came out normal.  I have SHINGLES!  I had the vaccine for shingles about a year ago and thought that I would not get it.  I guess my symptoms could have been worse had I not had the shot. I don't know how it could have been worse, but I didn't have any itching, just pain.  Now I have three meds to take. Two for pain and one anti-virus.  Lots of pills, but the pain pills kicked in about an hour after I took them and it is so nice to be able to think and breath again without the pain.  It was a relief to find out that it was not life threatening.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.