Constant chest pain for 19 months.

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hello. I am a 33 year old male, 5'9" 155lbs. I have had constant chest pain for over 19 months. It is a burning sensation in the center of the chest. I also sometimes get a light headed feeling and a feeling of impending doom or like I am about to die. Those 2 latter symptoms are mostly infrequent and the lightheadedness can come and go and doesn't seem to have any real relation to the pain. The pain is usually between a 1 and 3 most of the time but flares to a 6 to 8 sometimes for between a couple hours and a couple days at a time. Recently I have also had muscle aches on the left side of my neck and shoulder and sometimes my left arm feels different. These pains only started since I started propping up the head of my bed but that may be a coincidence. I went to the ER twice the first month this started with xrays, blood tests and ekgs all coming back negative. They discovered HB at 160/100 and I have been taking medication since that keeps it at around 130/80 or 125/75 when I'm relaxed. I also had an upper GI endoscopy the first month that found reflux esophagitis. About 9 months ago I had an echocardiogram and a stress test that came back negative. I also had a barium swallow that showed mild reflux. The pain is constant 24/7, as is a feeling of something wrong in my chest. It seems to be the least first thing in the morning before I start moving around. It doesn't seem to have any relation to exertion really. I can run and get my HR up to 175+ and it doesn't seem to get too much worse, although I may get pains elsewhere that cause me concern so I very rarely exercise strenuously. When the sensations peak I feel like moving around and being active and sitting still seems to make it worse. Jogging for a short time seems to slightly relieve the episode. I had strep throat a couple weeks ago that caused a Guttate Psoriasis outbreak, the first time I have had anything like this. I have been taking 40mg of nexium in the AM and PM and drink gaviscon throughout the day but cant tell if that has any real effect. The closest correlation I seem to be able to make is that the day after I drink excessive alcohol it seem like there is a greater chance for a more severe episode. It also seems to be worse on my days off from work sometimes but that's a flimsy correlation and I will have short term flare ups at work. Has anyone ever heard of anything like this? What other tests should I schedule? Thank you.

2 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi, sorry you have been suffering for so long. With the medication your doctor prescribed for you need to adjust your diet. No greasy fried foods, no spicey, no alcohol, no sugar substitute, no soda, no chocolate, no caffine including coffee, cut back on dairy. Eat your vegetables well cooked. or you could google the FODMAP diet. Good luck

• Posted

Thank you. I just wish doctors knew more or were at least more helpful.

• Posted

your welcome! I meant to add to your diet add meat stock for 3 or 4 months until symptoms improve. Than switch to a good bone broth daily.

I wish doctors could tell us more too more often than not a big contributor is life style and diet, I believe. You need to stay away from stress and include excersie.

I hope this helps you...

• Posted

Hi,same situation here.almost your same symptoms happening with me every day.i did many tests ekg,echo,tmt,endoscopy etc..shows grade A acid reflux.now i am having anti anxiety medicines from last 8 months.the isue start from 19 months back.cant cope with this.i am loosing my job because of this.will hope for the best.try a 30 minuts walking will help little bit.and also avoid fried foods,caffiene,alcahol,dairy etc

• Edited

Hi I am 38 yrs old male fm India. I am also having left side chest pain since Aug-2017 almost more than two years. Done ECG, 2D Echo, TMT twice/thrice, CT Scan abdomen/Chest, USG, Lots of Blood tests all negative. Little bit Vitamin D low. Taken all kind of prescribed medication. No relief. Consulted psychiatrist as well. No relief. Chest pain left side 24/7 except few hours. I had anxiety issue. Now in control. But pain persists. Also done CT Brain. Negative. Done tests top to bottom. Nothing. Anyone having same experience can share & suggest.

• Edited

I am being troubled by this off and on chest pain for more than seven years. The chest pain is wandering in nature and affects left lower rib cages, bottom of the heart, clavicle area etc. No other discomfort is present except the chest pain. Now a days, It is almost once in a month, two days to a week.

I do not know when the chest pain started or is there any triggering factor for it. But it is there. I remember having chest pain and panic attacks several times when in public, when alone, when stressed etc. But I do not experience any panic attack since 2 years. The panic attacks before those are also once in a year type.

I go to the cardiologist every year to make sure that my cardiology is perfect. They perform EKG, 2D Echo and Stress EKG (treadmill test) and all comes normal. That is my assurance that my heart health is perfect. That is my reassurance. For the next year, I go through ritually reassuring myself that "I am healthy and My heart is also healthy. I do not have to worry anything about my health". This self-reassurance gives me the courage to go through the pain-ordeal. I also visit my General physician almost once a month to check my blood pressure and other vitals. All are perfect.

The pain may last for two days to one week. I experiment with pain killers and one or two anti-anxiety drugs (as per the prescription given by the general physician) and at last it is gone. Then for another month or so, I am so happy and energetic. Then again the same ordeal.

I am wondering, will the chest pain go ? Will it let me live me a normal painfree life ? Any advises ? Please.

• Posted

Now its enough for me to get tested every month. So I have started learning music as hobby for engaging myself. To reduce stress level rather than taking medicines.

If others as well have no real diagnosis. Then try to engage in such activities you are interested for.

All the best.

• Posted

Now its enough for me to get tested every month. So I have started learning music as hobby for engaging myself. To reduce stress level rather than taking medicines.

If others as well have no real diagnosis. Then try to engage in such activities you are interested for.

All the best.

• Posted

Has your pain bow subsided if not we should chat.

I can probably give you some reassurance.

• Posted

It has not actually. I am getting what I believe to be sensation induced anxiety with the physical pains that make the whole experience worse. No real change in over 26 months. I recently had a chest CT with contrast that found nothing. The pain is bad enough but the other symptoms make this very challenging to deal with. Thank you for the comment.

• Edited

We are both in the exact same boat, I can assure you of that, its frustrating and at one point it got me down so much I was suicidal, I think mine is to do with over stimulation of the vagus nerve which runs from your stomach to your heart, this means if you have a stomach problem it can give you constant chest pain, mine started after a very heavy weekend and lots of vomiting, so I believe I rubbed something in my body up the wrong way and it's yet to recover, probably my lining of the throat and stomach.

How are you now? Still no real improvement?

• Posted

my symptoms are more or less the same as yours. I seem to get a low grade achy feeling in my chest most of the time and sometimes maybe once every 1 - 2 weeks I will get a moderate/severe episode of pain. My pain seems to be better when I'm relaxed but can exercise without seeing an increase in pain.

Do you have a diagnosis or any clues as to why it is happening?

• Posted

I haven't yet had a convincing diagnosis but I believe it is some stomach/esophagus disorder that is also causing anxiety symptoms due to the sensations. I still have not been back to a gastroenterologist for over 2 years so I need to do that soon and get some more in depth tests done there. i had a chest CT with contrast done a short while ago that found nothing so it really must be that. everyone's bodies are different so it is hard to get a clear description of one's disorder looking on the internet. I think my body is overreacting to a constant presence of food stuffs in my esophagus. dietary changes have seemed to help control it a bit.

• Posted

Hi, don't know if you are still suffering but I have had this exact same symptom for a few years know, doctor said it was anxiety and prescribed meds which didn't help at all, still pushing through it.

It started as a mild twinge in my chest and progressively just got worse and worse, I'm 31.

• Posted

Hi, I am also going through the same issues at the moment. I am 30, but am very obese, which is probably the cause of my problems. First episode was in January when I thought I was having a heart attack. I presume now it was a panic attack, lightheaded, breathless, rapid heartbeat, and a severe feeling of impending doom. I went to the doctors shortly after, she did all the blood tests and ECG and all came back normal. She thinks I have generalised anxiety or panic disorder. After the doctors, the feelings and episodes calmed down. But the last few weeks have been bad again. Unable to sleep, breathlessness, small amount of chest pain. I think it probably is anxiety, but it's quite worrying when you feel like you're about to die.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.