Constant chest pain for 19 months.

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hello. I am a 33 year old male, 5'9" 155lbs. I have had constant chest pain for over 19 months. It is a burning sensation in the center of the chest. I also sometimes get a light headed feeling and a feeling of impending doom or like I am about to die. Those 2 latter symptoms are mostly infrequent and the lightheadedness can come and go and doesn't seem to have any real relation to the pain. The pain is usually between a 1 and 3 most of the time but flares to a 6 to 8 sometimes for between a couple hours and a couple days at a time. Recently I have also had muscle aches on the left side of my neck and shoulder and sometimes my left arm feels different. These pains only started since I started propping up the head of my bed but that may be a coincidence. I went to the ER twice the first month this started with xrays, blood tests and ekgs all coming back negative. They discovered HB at 160/100 and I have been taking medication since that keeps it at around 130/80 or 125/75 when I'm relaxed. I also had an upper GI endoscopy the first month that found reflux esophagitis. About 9 months ago I had an echocardiogram and a stress test that came back negative. I also had a barium swallow that showed mild reflux. The pain is constant 24/7, as is a feeling of something wrong in my chest. It seems to be the least first thing in the morning before I start moving around. It doesn't seem to have any relation to exertion really. I can run and get my HR up to 175+ and it doesn't seem to get too much worse, although I may get pains elsewhere that cause me concern so I very rarely exercise strenuously. When the sensations peak I feel like moving around and being active and sitting still seems to make it worse. Jogging for a short time seems to slightly relieve the episode. I had strep throat a couple weeks ago that caused a Guttate Psoriasis outbreak, the first time I have had anything like this. I have been taking 40mg of nexium in the AM and PM and drink gaviscon throughout the day but cant tell if that has any real effect. The closest correlation I seem to be able to make is that the day after I drink excessive alcohol it seem like there is a greater chance for a more severe episode. It also seems to be worse on my days off from work sometimes but that's a flimsy correlation and I will have short term flare ups at work. Has anyone ever heard of anything like this? What other tests should I schedule? Thank you.

2 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

When you stand up does your heart rate become a lot faster, about 30 beats faster? Is it accompanied by dizziness? If so I'd ask for a tilt table test to check for POTS and a blood test for adrenaline levels(rules out Hyperadrenergic POTS)

Most of what you said sounds like a very bad case of gastro related issues, keep up any activity within your limits you don't want this to make you bed bound it will only allow it to get worse. When taking antacids or proton pump inhibitors its best to adjust diet.

I have been having chest pains for a very a few months now and all tests clear too but I have had a history of aggressive gastro problems and I found diet adjusting helped a lot.

Don't be ashamed to keep visiting the GP about it either, your health is important.

Good luck and wish you all the best.

• Posted

Thank you for the reply. I dont have those issues with heart beat. I really dont think it is cardiac related. The pain has been constant nonstop 24/7 for almost 2¹/² years so I think if it was cardiac related some test would have found something by now or I would have had some cardiac episode. I do think it is gastrointestinal. I would really like to aggressively pursue that possibility but with the pandemic right now I have to wait I think. I have very drastically altered my diet. I eat only a chicken soup I make. I do put some ketchup in and eat it with rice. My only cheat is I eat a bit of candy. After the diet change for around a month I did see a pretty decent improvement, maybe 30% better. I tried to cut back on my PPI recently but after about 4 days it got worse again and has been for 4 days now even after going back on normal dosage. It is very hard to tell if that was the cause. if there is any relation between this condition and lifestyle it is very delayed and lasts a long time. Is your pain constant or does it come and go? Where would you say the pain is? Do you have any other symptoms beyond the pain? I hope you feel better soon. I never realized how significantly the way one's body feels effects every aspect of life. I wouldn't wish this kind of thing on anyone.

• Posted

The pain I have now is very different to my gastro pains I used to get. I am fairly certain I may have either POTS, nerve or overactive immune system issue given my symptoms and blood results. But when I had my gastro pains it was mostly gastritis and occasionally accompanied with oesophagitis (worst ever feeling) it was an intense burning pain, even drink water hurt unlike anything. I found having some soft carbs like mash potato and soft bread helped, soaks up the acid a bit. I think PPI can come in a liquid form that might work better with your pain to coat and sooth your throat. Have you been tested for esophogal spasm? That can cause a lot of pain and reflux. Do you take any kind of anti spasmodic like Buscopan? Might be worth a try along side your PPI check with your GP first, call them.

It sounds like you also have some anxiety issues a bit and I really relate to this, the pain can be so scary and worrying and that will only make reflux and pain worse.

Symptoms wise when I had gastro pains it was mainly and intense burning pain, feeling sick, it sometimes spread to the arm this burning pain which concerned me then but was latter proven to just be gastro. Swallowing solids made it hurt more too. When sleeping raise your head.

If your in pain or discomfort make sure to take the PPI don't hurt yourself trying to reduce them. Maybe ask about a stronger type of PPI.

Hope this nightmare ends for you eventually.

• Posted

Thanks for bringing this up. I am being troubled by this off and on chest pain for more than seven years. The chest pain is wandering in nature and affects left lower rib cages, bottom of the heart, clavicle area etc. No other discomfort is present except the chest pain. Now a days, It is almost once in a month, two days to a week.

I do not know when the chest pain started or is there any triggering factor for it. But it is there. I remember having chest pain and panic attacks several times when in public, when alone, when stressed etc. But I do not experience any panic attack since 2 years. The panic attacks before those are also once in a year type.

I go to the cardiologist every year to make sure that my cardiology is perfect. They perform EKG, 2D Echo and Stress EKG (treadmill test) and all comes normal. That is my assurance that my heart health is perfect. That is my reassurance. For the next year, I go through ritually reassuring myself that "I am healthy and My heart is also healthy. I do not have to worry anything about my health". This self-reassurance gives me the courage to go through the pain-ordeal. I also visit my General physician almost once a month to check my blood pressure and other vitals. All are perfect.

The pain may last for two days to one week. I experiment with pain killers and one or two anti-anxiety drugs (as per the prescription given by the general physician) and at last it is gone. Then for another month or so, I am so happy and energetic. Then again the same ordeal.

I am wondering, will the chest pain go ? Will it let me live me a normal painfree life ? Any advises ? Please.

• Posted

I am a 19 y/o female(5'7, 140 pounds) and I have been having the same exact symptoms for the past month. After many visits to the hospital (my heart rate would be 156/98+ every time) I was diagnosed with costochondritis (after being falsely diagnosed with an asthma attack and given prednisone which didn't work). After the diagnoses, I started getting shooting pains in my legs and arms (not as often as the chest pain) and light muscle spasms all over with aching in my legs. It was kind of weird to me seen as though I am not that active (outside of work) but it wasn't as bothersome as the chest pain. In the past week, I started getting a burning sensation in my chest along with extreme nausea and regurgitation. Today I went back to the ER after the feeling caused an anxiety attack. I was diagnosed with GERD on top of the costochondritis. I now have to go see a gastroenterologist 😦 . I really hope everything turns out ok but this situation has really caused a lot of anxiety and is keeping me away from work.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.