Constant dizziness after car accident

Posted , 7 users are following.

I'm wondering if anyone has been in the same situation as me.

A little over a month ago, I was in a minor car accident on the way to work (side impact, I was a passenger) that caused no immediate injury or problem-- I was able to walk away from the accident, went to work, felt fine. Until two days later, when I woke up with shooting pains in my neck and shoulders, which was the start of my current adventure.

The neck pain and stiffness was not a big issue; what was much more troubling is that it was swiftly accompanied by dizziness, vertigo, light-headedness (it varies throughout the day) and general loss of balance. This started as short bouts and quickly grew in severity, until it was basically constant. Physiotherapy helped my neck pain, but not the dizziness, and I resolved to wait for it to heal on its own, which it did...

...until I went back to work last week. After one day I was forced to call in sick again, as all of the symptoms returned with a vengeance (dizziness much more more severe than neck pain, like last time). I'm currently unable to leave the house, and having difficulty with basic motor tasks like going up and down stairs. My GP and physiotherapist were both baffled by the return of my symptoms and an MRI is being arranged to check there's nothing brain-related going on.

Initially, everyone I spoke to (including an A&E doctor at a hospital) completely dismissed the idea of a head injury since I didn't hit my head, but looking online I'm finding many accounts of people who suffered minor brain injuries despite no blow to the head.

Has anyone been in a similar situation? 

(I was prescribed Serc and then Stemitil, neither of which had any effect at all)

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

MIne started with a neck injury as well.  The impact from the i njury (although slight) caused me to have BPPV. It was easily treatable by an ENT.  Have you seen one yet?
    • Posted

No, not yet. 

I'm kind of surprised none of the health professionals I've been to have suggested BPPV. It hasn't been mentioned in any of my discussions with them.

• Posted

I am absolutely surprise myself. However it took them 4 months and heart and other tests including an MRI of the head before they referred to the ENT. Do yourself a favor and go to the ENT next and they can diagnose something like this in a minute. Plus they can fix it on the spot. My went away after I went to see the ENT but I've had a couple episodes since but they've been years apart and always after my neck has been bothering me again.

• Posted

Was your dizziness constant? Reading up on BPPV, it seems to be described as short bouts of dizziness triggered by certain head movements or positions, which isn't really what I'm experiencing-- it's constant, and moving my head doesn't really make it better or worse (physical activity and attempting to concentrate on tasks seem to cause an increase in severity).

Regardless, when I meet my GP to discuss the MRI results I'm going to ask to be referred to an ENT, and I'll certainly ask whether BPPV is a possibility.

• Posted

Yes my dizziness was constant. It only subsided after I had the Epley maneuver done by the ENT. I struggled with it for a month prior to that constantly. The last episode I had was constant dizziness also. It was never about off and on.
    • Posted

If it's bppv a therapist will help more than a ENT. Halpike and epely menuever to start. Eye excersizes to help.

• Posted

I disagree bill but of course everybody has their own opinion. I think the first step to getting a diagnosis is an ENT. After that they could recommend whether she needs a therapist after they treat her.
    • Posted

Hi Sarah,

Did you have nystagmus (eye movement) when the ENT performed the Epley?

My ENT suspects that i might have BPPV but i do not have nystagmus though. My dizziness is quite constant as well.

• Posted

Well if you can get right into a ENT do it. I had to wait . Therapy I could get right in. So I had them do the epely and start excercises while waiting to get into ENT. ENT was booked up almost 3 months ahead. My doc got me in to see him in a month. Was soonest I could get in with any of them.
    • Posted

That makes sense bill. I thought you meant by pass the ENT completely. If a therapist can also do the F late that's perfect. Will they do a diagnosis as well?

• Posted

Therapists I have seen in the past where very knowledgeable. They do a few tests can tell you alot. When I finally got into the ENT he just confirmed what therapy said. Took a quick look in my ears. Ordered VNG and audiogram. Told me to continue going to therapy.
  • Posted

I was in a motorcycle accident 3 months ago and i had chronic dizziness until now. However i did not have neck pain though.

Do you have headaches as well? How is your neck now?

The doctors i saw (ENTs, Neuro) dismissed the accident as causing my symptoms but did not offer other diagnosis. 

I am feeling like crap daily due to these symptoms. sad

• Posted

I do have occasional, brief headaches, but they're not serious. I think they're caused by the neck stiffness, as the two seem to go hand in hand.

The neck issues come and go. Since trying to return to work they're more severe, although still not nearly as big a problem as the dizziness.

Have your had any scans done? It seems like an unbelievable coincidence that you'd get chronic dizziness right after an accident if the two aren't connected.

Reading up on this, it seems like people with this complaint are often assumed to be making it up in situations where the physical cause is hard to pin point. Which is unfortunate, because it's totally debilitating-- I can't work, go out to buy myself food, can barely cook until I recover.

• Posted

Yes, i have had 2 MRIs done but they didn't show anything. 

The dizziness and headache which i have is a daily thing which is affecting my life and job.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.