Constant dizziness after car accident

Posted , 7 users are following.

I'm wondering if anyone has been in the same situation as me.

A little over a month ago, I was in a minor car accident on the way to work (side impact, I was a passenger) that caused no immediate injury or problem-- I was able to walk away from the accident, went to work, felt fine. Until two days later, when I woke up with shooting pains in my neck and shoulders, which was the start of my current adventure.

The neck pain and stiffness was not a big issue; what was much more troubling is that it was swiftly accompanied by dizziness, vertigo, light-headedness (it varies throughout the day) and general loss of balance. This started as short bouts and quickly grew in severity, until it was basically constant. Physiotherapy helped my neck pain, but not the dizziness, and I resolved to wait for it to heal on its own, which it did...

...until I went back to work last week. After one day I was forced to call in sick again, as all of the symptoms returned with a vengeance (dizziness much more more severe than neck pain, like last time). I'm currently unable to leave the house, and having difficulty with basic motor tasks like going up and down stairs. My GP and physiotherapist were both baffled by the return of my symptoms and an MRI is being arranged to check there's nothing brain-related going on.

Initially, everyone I spoke to (including an A&E doctor at a hospital) completely dismissed the idea of a head injury since I didn't hit my head, but looking online I'm finding many accounts of people who suffered minor brain injuries despite no blow to the head.

Has anyone been in a similar situation? 

(I was prescribed Serc and then Stemitil, neither of which had any effect at all)

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

You are describing episodes of dizziness after trauma.  It is possible that you have an inner ear disorder affecting your balance system as a result of trauma.  You should be investigated assuming a possible inner ear problem.  You should have an audiogram done and caloric test, probably under the guidance of an ENT doctor.  A CT scan may be necessary of the inner ear as well.

Eleftherios S. Papathanasiou, PhD, FEAN

Clinical Neurophysiologist

Fellow of the European Academy of Neurology

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.