Constant Dizziness/Lightheadedness - Soar, Stiff, Twitching Leg Muscles w/Tingling Sensation

Posted , 15 users are following.

Hi Ladies,

I'm new to this forum. I'm so glad to find you all! Hoping some of you can relate to my story so I don't feel like I'm dying. I'm 50 yrs old and post-menopausal for 2 years now. I don't ever recall having peri-menopausal symptoms, but to some extent, I'm sure I did. However, once my period stopped I started having "normal" menopausal symptoms in the beginning such as hot flashes, low energy and irritability. I took the Estroven supplement and felt great for about 6 months. Then I stopped the supplement and continued to feel fine for about 6 months until one day everything changed. I woke up one day in August of 2018 and my legs felt like I had done 1000 squats!! They were sore/stiff, weak/shaky and twitching everywhere. The left side of my body had a tingling/cooling sensation from my ankles to my face. I also became extremely dizzy/lightheaded. I thought I had either MS or ALS! I started researching my symptoms and of course that made me have terrible anxiety! When I tried to sleep I felt the anxiety well up inside my body and felt a fluttering in my heart. I saw my GP and had every blood test imaginable. He found nothing, everything was perfect! However, I told him I was scared that I had MS or a brain tumor so he referred me to a Neurologist. I had an MRI and every other test imaginable...nothing, I was fine! I then thought it could be my heart or low blood flow since I was always dizzy, so I went to a Cardiologist. They did every test imaginable...nothing, I was fine! I then went to an Alternative doctor who said I probably had an auto-immune disease so they ran every blood test on me including a stool (poop) sample....except for finding out that I once had EBV (epstein barr virus - that was a shocker!)....nothing, I was fine! I then went to an ENT doctor because the dizziness was chronic and debilitating. I always felt like I was going to fall over everyday, all day! I had pressure in my head and ears and also developed Tinnitus. The doctor said I probably had Meniere's Disease and that there was really nothing I could do for it. He prescribed Valium, allergy meds and water pills but they didn't work. I took the Valium once and then got scared of becoming addicted so I discontinued it. I then remembered that my mom was super dizzy when she was going through Menopause. So I went to my Gyno and told her my symptoms but she said that dizziness wasn't a normal symptom. But because my hormone levels were so low she put me on HRT, the lowest dose. Everything started to feel better except the chronic dizziness/lightheadedness so I searched for other solutions and found an Upper Cervical Chiropractor that said my Altas (1st vertebrae) was off and that there is a connection between the Vestibular System and the Nervous System. So they corrected my alignment. It's still a work in progress but it seems to have helped a little bit with my dizziness, though, I still have Tinnitus. Also, I stopped taking HRT a few months ago because I didn't think it was helping with the dizziness BUT boy, that was a mistake because all my other symptoms have returned. My twitching, sore & achy legs are back, irritability during the day and the anxiety and hot flashes at night...UGH!! So I decided to go back on HRT a few days ago hoping for the best. Can anyone relate to my symptoms? Even though I NOW believe all of my symptoms are related to menopause, I still fear that there is something seriously wrong with me such as MS or ALS. 😦 Sorry for the lengthy story, it's my first time telling it publicly. Thank you for reading!

2 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Helloo dear

Ur not alone

Dizziness and off balance issue is my everyday story.

Left my job because of this...become home bound from last year.

all other symtoms u wrote i am having almost all in Peri .

Its harmones Imbalance in body causing all this ..

Hang is there.

tk

• Posted

Thanks for replying Sunaina. I'm so sorry to hear you are always dizzy too. I tell my husband that I can deal with all the other symptoms of menopause but it's the dizziness that is ruining my life. It's weird that my dizziness didn't go away when I was on HRT. I believe my Upper Cervical Chiropractor was the only one to give me some relief. The dizziness is more manageable now. Maybe you could find a UCC near you to see if they can help you.

• Posted

Helloo dear

Ur not alone

Dizziness and off balance issue is my everyday story.

Left my job because of this...become home bound from last year.

all other symtoms u wrote i am having almost all in Peri .

Its harmones Imbalance in body causing all this ..

Hang is there.

tk

• Posted

Stacy yes it is all related to menopause. I have had every symptom that you stated above. My symptoms started back in January and it has been pure hell for me. I start bioidentical hormones next Friday praying that it brings relief. Know that you are not alone in this horrible struggle. So glad you found us. Hugs to you

• Posted

Thanks for replying. It is definitely pure hell! It is such a relief knowing there are other women having the same symptoms as me. Though, I would rather we didn't have them. Good luck with the bio identicals. Take care and hugs to you too!

• Posted

yes i can relate to the dizziness and the feeling ill feeling comes in waves , The off balance feeling almost everyday is horrible and so annoying to deal with everyday , i have horrible anxiety and paranoia and my panic attacks and feeling constantly on edge is much worse since going through menapause , sorry you too are going through all this, hang in there it is hard .

• Posted

Thanks for replying Lisa. So sorry you have the same symptoms but it's a relief for me to know I'm not alone. Being on HRT definitely helped with my anxiety. Though, I would rather not be on HRT but feel the need to have somewhat of a normal life. 😦 Take care!

• Posted

Hi Stacy, I can kind of relate.

I just turned 51 and am post menopause for almost 2 years now. I had terrible peri symtoms for several years. It just carried over differently in post. I can relate to the dizzy. I some times feel like I am on a boat, it will come and go. I had severe dizziness that lasted about 3 weeks and took meds for it earlier this year. Now it just comes and goes and I hate it.

I have had stiff and sore legs the last few day. My achilles and calves gets tight and I walk like a weird stiff legged robot until I loosen up. I have a counter high desk chair and a padded footstool for my craft desk and I can only sit for a short bit before my hips and legs start to get sore. Never had the problem before. I have tinnitus for a few years now. I sleep with a sound machine on. I have to have it on.

Lucky me I am getting arthritis in my hands too! I feel like I have been beaten with a giant menopause stick some days. I do drink red rooibos and take tumeric that seems to help the stiffness and sore joints.

I am 98% sure all my symptoms are hormone related. That other 2% is pure worry about what if it's something more series. Stomach pain....maybe stomach cancer. Headache... maybe a stroke. Chest pain....Well you get the picture. lol.

It is hard not to worry.

• Posted

Thanks for replying. Yes, my calves are also extremely stiff/tight/heavy. They burn in the front bone area and are sore in the muscle. I almost think it could be Chronic Venous Insufficiency. I started taking a Rx (Vasculera) my Cardiologist gave me to see if it will help. My knees hurt really bad as well and my right hand tendons started hurting last week...hope it's not arthritis, UGH! We're only in our early 50's!!

It's one symptom after another! I'm now thinking of getting the supplement MSM to help with the pain. It's truly mind boggling to think that we can go from being totally healthy and feeling great one day to feeling like we are dying the next. It feels like my body is breaking down in record time!

Yes, there is a definite worry that it could be something more serious...Let's hope not!

Take care!

• Posted

Stacy4412,

Just reading your post brings back that sick feeling in my stomach with memories of how mine all started as well. You are describing SO much of how it hit me last summer. I turned 50 in November. I had so many tests as well (cat scan, numerous blood work done multiple times). Emergency room on 2 occasions thinking I was having a stroke or heart attack with the weird aura experiences (many of my symptoms were migraine with aura and no headache) I was having; numbness on left side, tingling, twitching, hot flashes, weird anxiety feelings, globus sensation, ringing in ears, fullness in ears, achy all over - went to urgent care twice thinking I had to have a virus because of the flu like feelings and aching all over; ACHING!! Joints, arms, legs...my neck was so stiff, my eye was twitching, my finger would twitch, tingling feelings in face, shortness of breath with hot flashes, air hunger, depression, headache behind right ear, jaw pain, teeth aching, hair loss, weakness in legs, LETHARGY, heart palpitations, itching skin - on and on- the list seems endless- this all hit WITHIN A MATTER OF ONE to TWO WEEKS - all at once - all NEW - never had experienced any of this in my life! IT lasted for nearly two months. A good pharmacist friend of mine advised me to go on OTC all natural wild yam/progesterone cream (along with many of the posts that I had read right here on this forum!). She was certain it would alleviate most of my symptoms. I started on the cream last August and I noticed results within a week. Since about mid-October I have felt mostly like myself again. The symptoms I do have are now tolerable; hot flashes, urine incontinence a week before my period is due (if I get one), night sweats, vaginal dryness (although so much better). My doctor told me it was all the peri/meno stuff. She said she would've had to close her practice had she not gone on hormones. She also said that if the OTC progesterone is not enough for me, she would give me prescription if needed. The joint pain, numbness, ear pain/fullness - basically the list above? It all started going away within weeks of taking the cream. I am so thankful for the advice and encouragement of the women on this forum! Grateful! Don't know how I would've gotten through such a dark and scary time without this place.

• Posted

What a relief to read this forum!!! For a week now I have visited my cardio twice. I felt like having stroke. Excessive sweating, fast heart beat, feeling giddy, very stiff neck, aches arms, twitching eyelids and muscles here and there...you name it, I think I got it. I am 58, last period July 2017 (the oldest in my doctors record). Last Dec I was told I have tumours on my liver. Benign, THANK GOD! Then mammogram and ultrasound showed odd shaped cyst which is being monitored. It feels like I have been attacked on all sides. Today, I am just about to visit a physical therapist for my arms and neck. Always hopeful somebody will find a solution. On Friday, I see my doc for the ultrasound result. Anxiety is very high!! I am now ready to try any supplements or vitamins. Please, have any of you tried anything that works? God Bless us all.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.