Constant forced belching, feeling of air stuck in chest/throat (Acid Reflux/GERD diagnosed).

Posted , 105 users are following.

Hi All,

This is my first time doing this so I want to try to be as detailed as possible, as I have gone through several doctors and am simply not satisfied with my current situation and honestly don't know what else to do.

It all started about one year ago when I woke up in the middle of the night feeling like I couldn't breathe. I went to the ER after about 2 days I was having a hard time breathing, always feeling like I was short of breathe. He gave me a inhaler which did not help, then after a few days my symptoms went away and I had this feeling of air trapped in my chest/throat and I was constantly forcing myself to burp in order to relieve these symptoms. He referred me to a gastroenterologist, with whom essentially determined and diagnosed me with some gastritis and GERD/Acid reflux.

Tests I have done:

- upper endoscopy (showed some gastritis/inflammation and acid reflux)

- 2 stool tests to check for h. pylori and other bacterium (both negative)

- esphogeal manometry and (2) 24hour pH tests (one without nexium and second time after maxed on nexium, twice a day. showed I was swallowing a lot of air and had acid reflux)

- swallow test? forgot what it's called but I drank liquids and they saw how it went down through xray.

Nothing has helped. I was prescribed prilosec, nexium, etc with no relief. I still take 1 nexium a day now as when I stopped, the forced belching would bring acid up and burn my chest/throat.

My doctors are now trying to prescribe me Zoloft in order to "suppress" my brain and feeling these symptoms, but I am hesitant as I assume this would only mask the problem, even if it worked.

I just CANT GET THIS FEELING TO GO AWAY. I am constantly belching, my chest is extremely tight, etc. Is it anxiety? I don't feel anxious.

ANY ADVICE APPRECIATED. PLEASE HELP... THANK YOU.

Tony

4 likes, 155 replies

155 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I'm no expert, but based on my own experince it could be anxiety. In my case which is not the same but I did have lack of air and chest pain they said it was reflux/gastritis for 2 years, in the process they said COPD, asthma, cardio related and finally anxiety.  So far after 4 years they have no clear answer,  and symptoms change with time.  They even took out my gall-bladder which made no diffrenece because I have no stomach issues or pain.  So basically I'm not much help to you, but if anyhting do not take benzos unless you have no option, and do not let them take out your gall-bladder because other issues will come with it. ;-( 

• Posted

Yeah I checked out a lung/heart doctor as well and he said there are no issues...
    • Posted

Why did they take out your gallbladder. Was it found to be defective?
  • Posted

Hi Tony

I can identify with you to a certain extent, my problem has been my throat for the last year,

it always feels like something is stuck and I have to clear it, which makes it worse. I hate to eat, because it makes it worse too.

I was diagnosed years ago with Gerd and hiatus hernia, used to take Galvescon  (spelling) for 2-3 years, slept elevated, eventually it went away all these years.

Presently my doctor thought it's all from sinus drip, but he did say to take Pepcid AC twice a day along with sinus medicine. It's not working and this Friday, when clearing my throat I brought up a bunch of.....well, I guess food? I call my doctor tomorrow and demand tests, because I'm getting anxiety over it and feel like I can't breathe. I will let you know what was done or what meds I will get. In the meantime listen to your body, it will tell you what medication feels better and if you

just need to go back for more tests. Don't let a doctor tell you to "deal" with it, because they will say that.

All the best,

Lancie

• Posted

I don't think it's anxiety but I think they say that when nothing they try works. I think the answer is to use antacids in a crisis but not long term and try and come to terms with the idea that life has changed. I'm finding this very difficult. My chest tightness becomes painful as the day progresses. So constantly massaging (which produces burps and helps a bit) and lying down (which makes it a lot better but upsets my arthritic neck) then sitting up again. Not very relaxing! Every days a struggle but I don't think the medics have an answer so the only choice is psychological pain management. Good luck!

• Posted

i'll share my issue let me know if anyone identify with similar issue.. I like always something is in my throat and small noises appear when i like try to move air through the throat softly.. similar noise/feeling appear when i swallow my saliva.. also i sometimes feel the dots under my tounge... nothing hurt just annoying.. anyone else?

=

• Posted

Me too Dean. The noise I feel is due to the mucous membranes. I also have slight pain when I swallow saliva and a feeling of something swollen in my throat.
    • Posted

Thyroid ultrsound. Not blood test . That test is crap. See an endocrinologist. Do not let reg doc just do blood test. Google thyroid nodules
    • Posted

I have exactly the same issue as you, Dean. I have got tightness in my chest and the noise at the throat which is very embarrasing as people around me could hear the noises as well. And this has recently worsen about two years ago. May I know if you have got your problem solved? Is it possibly GERD?
    • Posted

Hi Dean,

Is the noise in your throat a gurgling sound? Does it feel like a trapped air bubble ? I am experiencing this and it is so frustrating. The doctors can’t help me and say it’s anxiety but I know my body and thAt something isn’t right physically and that is making me anxious. Also my ears feel a lot of pressure and I can feel it in my upper back as well.

• Posted

Hi chandra,

Di you feel urge to burp after having little water or any food.

• Posted

Hi Vinod,

Yes after I drink water I get a gurgle in my throat immediately and then I burp immediately afterwards. Then I also get a terrible lump feeling in my throat like my upper sphincter is tightening and I get pressure in my ears which is unbearable. I really hope i can cure this and not have to live With it forever. How about you?

• Posted

Yes, I do always. As soon as anything passes my throat I immediately burp...sometimes hiccup too. I haven't heard many people talk about hiccups though

• Posted

Hey Chandra, I am experiencing the same exact thing. I am currently dealing with it and not getting any answers about with the doctors I've been seeing. It's really embarrassing and don't know where or what is causing it. Any new info or advice you may have came across about it? Best of luck to you dealing with this "thing"..

Jay

• Posted

I get something similar to this as well. I really want to get over it tbh. It's affecting me so much.

• Posted

I have this currently. Did it get better for you?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.