Constant light-headed feeling. Anxiety

Posted , 50 users are following.

Hello everyone

I've been dealing with a light-headed feeling since I first got a panic attack in July 7th. Ever since then I've had a few panic attacks. I've been checked for everything! Brain MRI and MRA, Brain CT Scan, Multiple EKGs during ER visits, a 27/7 holter monitor (EKG), A stress test together with an ecochardiogram (heart ultrasound), multiple blood tests. EVERYTHING IS NEGATIVE. 

Panic attacks and migranes have subsided smile. The only symptom that is still present is the light-headed feeling 24/7. It has gotten a lot better, but I'm not back to normal yet (it has been five months). I've been taking 5-HTP, Magnesium, and B-12/B-6 Vitatmines (as I've done some research and found it that these supplements help). I've also beeing doing therapy and I just started working out two weeks ago (sometimes I feel worse after working out)

Is there anything else I should be doing to beat this terrible feeling? Can you share your experience with me? what makes it better? 

Thank you for your time and support 

7 likes, 110 replies

110 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Thanks for sharing, I've been experencing the exact same thing. I'm tired of always being dizzy.

• Posted

Hi,

I am 39 male and totally healthy. But for the past 2 years i have had problems with unsteadiness and feeling light headed. Like you i had numerous tests which didn't find anything so anxiety looks like the only logical explanation.

I really hate this feeling as it freaks me out if i go for a run so much that i dread doing cardio now in case something happens. i think minduflness is meant to help but other than that i don't know of any other remedies.

good luck

• Posted

hi, i suffer from the same simptoms for the last 5.5 months. i'm suspecting anxiety as the primary suspect, although i haven't ruled out c.f.s/me

have you found some miracle cure for this brain fog? gow have you reduced it?

• Posted

Your anxiety is the reason why you're feeling lightheaded - I would encourage you to do PMR exercises at least twice a day for 2 week and then once a day for another 4 weeks - you need to reduce your anxiety as being discharged via your cognitive/perception pathway - you have to get your brain to learn to manage your anxiety developing into the freeze response which is where it's going currently (fight / fight and freeze) - PMR exercises can help you to rebalance what sounds like dysautonomia (PMR's activate your sympathetic ANS system - currently your parasympathetic ANS dominant and why you're lightheaded) - do not do autogenic exercises such as mindfulness / breathing as this is counterproductive and will only exacerbate your freeze response

Persevere and you may well be pleasantly surprised 

• Posted

Hiya can I ask what PMR exercises are please. 
    • Posted

No worries I’ve found it 
  • Posted

Wow you guys described it perfectly. I had this years ago, along with a diagnosis of gad, and it eventually became a quality of life issue so I bit the bullet and went on 2 years of lexapro 10mg, and then 2 years at 5mg. About 4 months in, one day I realied I hadn't felt lightheaded in a while, and it was true. Totally gone for years. Hurray!

I decided 6 months ago to stop taking lexapro completely, and lo and behold, the goddamn lightheadedness is back. Waking up everything is fine, but then it creeps back in. When it's at its worst later in the day, I find myself yawning a lot too. Funny, I can manage the anxious thoughts these days now that I'm no longer afraid of them, esp with things i learned from meditation classes or breathing, but this daily physical discomfort is a total bummer.

• Posted

The lexapro did help it go away though? I’m on day 11 of lexapro and all of my anxiety symptoms have lessened it feels like, with lightheadedness still being a daily thing and my least favorite. I am hoping the lexapro will get rid of this completely and reading your post made me feel better about it.
    • Posted

Sorry I didn't reply earlier. Yes lexapro was a miracle for me. Anxiety went from being ALL I THOUGHT ABOUT to something on the level of brushing your teeth -- one of the many tiny nuisances of being human. More good news -- it was easy to go off of about 3 years later. It kind of takes away the "cloud" and you can build healthy habits (sleeping regularly, exercise), have fun (drinking, traveling), and do some extra credit (meditation classes, the headspace app). A few years of this and you may want to stop. And if you don't, you can keep going for years and years on it. For me, one week I started skipping days with the pill, and a few weeks later, I just stopped. Nobody told me to, it wasn't a "big decision", it was just like when you stop wearing a certain sweater. 

• Posted

Sorry I didn't reply earlier. Yes lexapro was a miracle for me. Anxiety went from being ALL I THOUGHT ABOUT to something on the level of brushing your teeth -- one of the many tiny nuisances of being human. More good news -- it was easy to go off of about 3 years later. It kind of takes away the "cloud" and you can build healthy habits (sleeping regularly, exercise), have fun (drinking, traveling), and do some extra credit (meditation classes, the headspace app). A few years of this and you may want to stop. And if you don't, you can keep going for years and years on it. For me, one week I started skipping days with the pill, and a few weeks later, I just stopped. Nobody told me to, it wasn't a "big decision", it was just like when you stop wearing a certain sweater.

• Posted

Thanks John,

I tried Lexapro and it did seem to help.  After about a month I went on a trip and FORGOT my meds like an idiot.  but I didn't notice any change.  So then, I'm thinking, this is great.  But about a month later (about a week ago) the symptoms came back.  I'd wake up without a good night's sleep, I'd actually feel the rush of some hormonal change occur and the effect would run up and down the headtrip rollercoaster throughout the day.  

I'm SO glad you posted this today.  I'm going to start taking them again tonight, I have about a dozen left, and we'll see.  Maybe it is the answer.

Thanks again

• Posted

I got over an anxiety attack where I felt bad for over a month.  No more racing thoughts or sleepless nights but I still feel light headed.  I've been keeping a journal and it's been 16 days since I felt better.  I've been taking amino acids and magnesium for about 3 weeks.  If I could get rid of this spacey/ dizzy feeling I would be fine.  I did read somewhere, "it took time for you to feel bad, it's going to take time for you to feel good again."  

• Posted

Hi All, I’m new to this forum and so far it’s made me feel better knowing I’m not alone.

How do the doctors know it’s definitely anxiety?

I’ve been having pains/ sensations in my chest and I can’t differentiate if it’s my heart or my muscles or lungs or indigestion but I’m totally sure it’s my heart. This then causes me to panic thinking I’m going to die. I’ve had ecg and Holter monitor but the doctor said my heart is ok. Everyday I wake up feeling lightheaded and like I’m going to feint. Then it eases and if I’m kept busy I can continue with my day as long as I’m with someone I trust. Then as soon as I think about it and start checking my body for symptoms it comes back. I’ve been prescribed propranolol and after taking 1 I experienced chest pain and sweating so I didn’t take another. I then tried sertraline (the doctor gave me 50mg but I broke them in half and half again) I took this for 2 days trying to be positive then when I woke up on the 3rd day b4 taking the next dose my eyes were very weird, I could hardly see. I called the pharmacy and was told this was a side effect and to stop taking them. I’m now waiting for CBT. 

Is this anxiety really??

Sorry for long post.

• Posted

SK, i had almost the same symptoms you describe.  When I was first diagnosed with anxiety it took several trips to the doctor and ER.   I felt better when I had test done but then felt terrible again a few days later.

Keep going back until YOU feel better.  It took a doctor carefully reviewing my charts to tell me for sure it was anxiety. 

• Posted

Thankyou, it’s awful. I never knew anxiety could make you feel so physically unwell especially with chest pains. I can’t even be a proper mum to my 4 children. The hospital doctors are fed up of seeing me but I just doubt them with what they are saying. After seeing them I too feel better but like yourself it is short lived. I just want the chest pain to stop. X
    • Posted

It’s amazing what your mind does.   

One thing that helped me was the support of my family.   I still needed to be a husband and father.  I would stay busy with them and praying.  Being Catholic I would pray and meditate on the rosary.  

If all it is is anxiety, you’ll feel terrible but it won’t hurt you. 

• Posted

I've just read this thread and it's been incredibly reassuring. I've had anxiety for about 4 years (all started out of the blue) and had the whole list of symptoms and so many tests. Had lots for the 'dizzies' and was just told it was 'silent migraine'? I get this feeling still, on and off. And it mainly develops later as the day goes on (I'm usually fine in the morning). I often get pressure at the front of my head and then the visual disturbances. Today though I got in the car after work and felt really faint like my blood pressure had just dropped suddenly, thenhad the light headed feelings. I wasn't the slightest bit anxious or stressed before this happened so all out of the blue! Anxiety sucks. 😥We're all still looking for that magical cure. 

• Posted

Look up SVT. Saying that you're chest hurts is a common symptom of this. You should immediately go to the doctor when you feel like this again. This has to do with your heart and you need that thing working!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.