Constant light-headed feeling. Anxiety

Posted , 50 users are following.

Hello everyone

I've been dealing with a light-headed feeling since I first got a panic attack in July 7th. Ever since then I've had a few panic attacks. I've been checked for everything! Brain MRI and MRA, Brain CT Scan, Multiple EKGs during ER visits, a 27/7 holter monitor (EKG), A stress test together with an ecochardiogram (heart ultrasound), multiple blood tests. EVERYTHING IS NEGATIVE. 

Panic attacks and migranes have subsided smile. The only symptom that is still present is the light-headed feeling 24/7. It has gotten a lot better, but I'm not back to normal yet (it has been five months). I've been taking 5-HTP, Magnesium, and B-12/B-6 Vitatmines (as I've done some research and found it that these supplements help). I've also beeing doing therapy and I just started working out two weeks ago (sometimes I feel worse after working out)

Is there anything else I should be doing to beat this terrible feeling? Can you share your experience with me? what makes it better? 

Thank you for your time and support 

7 likes, 110 replies

110 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I have suffered from this for 8 years now. Does the magnesium really help I’ve read a lot of different discussions on it but want to know from someone who has anxiety. And what type of magnesium? I am at my whits end of this feeling lightheaded all the time. 
    • Posted

Megan it does seem to help me.  I take magnesium along with the Paxil.  I use Magnesium Glycinate.  
    • Posted

I went and got magnesium 500mg. I only took one half. But now I’m extremely tired. I have slept for so long. Does this go away? 
    • Posted

If you haven’t already, go see your doctor and speak with them.  They may recommend something else.  

Magnesium is going to relax you.  I took it about 1-2 hours before bed cause I wasn’t sleeping.  It helped me get at least 5 hours of sleep.  I started feeling better after a week or so.

It helped me but it may affect others differently.

If you notice you make more trips to the restroom like I did,  cut back to every other day.  It gave me diarrhea.  

• Posted

What helped please let me know
    • Posted

I started feeling normal several weeks ago.  I take doctor proscribed Paxil 10mg, 200 mg magnesium, a multivitamin, and B-6.  I’ve also been walking everyday at least a mile to get some air.  I don’t drink as much caffeine either.  

I’ve been on Paxil for several years but the other supplements seen to help ME more.  Good luck. 

• Edited

I'm so glad I found this discussion/thread. I've had the same light-headed/foggy/disoriented feeling for about 3.5 years now and I've felt like maybe I was the only one experiencing this. Mine started after an anxiety attack I had when driving and my life hasn't been quite the same since. I too have had an MRI, multiple CT scans, a heart stress test/EKG, an EEG, multiple blood tests and everything has come back normal. My doctor has prescribed me a bunch of anti-anxiety meds .... the SSRI's like Zoloft and Celexa as well as Benzos like Xanax and Ativan. Have I taken them all? Absolutely not, only the xanax and that's only in an extreme panic attack. I've noticed certain things used to trigger my anxiety...like alcohol. I've also noticed when the lightheaded spells occur that alcohol can numb it (which obviously isn't a healthy thing). My question to any of you on this thread is when you get these spells, do they happen for you daily without cause or just when something triggers it? I seem to get the feeling about 3-4 days a week. And how do you get through your day to day job, work, family, social interaction when you're feeling that way? I personally have found it hard to focus on work, be around a lot of people, or even drive when experiencing the lightheaded spells. Sometimes all I can do is lay down and wait for it to pass. Might have to try Magnesium, B vitamins, etc. that everyone is talking about

• Posted

My last anxiety attack left me drained. It took a few months to feel better.  Thankfully I was able to talk to my wife and saw a therapist a few times.  I didn’t drink during my attack and now that I’m feeling better I only have a couple of beers at the most.  
    • Posted

My symptoms exactly. Glad I have found this discussion.  My doctor has prescribed me all the same meds.  Cymbalta for the anxiety and a benzo to help with the side effects of the anxiety medication.   I just can’t get myself to take these meds. At this point I’d rather have the anxiety than be on those meds. I have found some relief with CBD oil.  I was only taking small doses but did find it helped a little. So far this has been the only thing I’ve gotten any relief from.  The dizziness or lightheaded feeling has not gone away.  Has anyone had any luck taking a med like cymbalta etc and getting rid of the dizziness ?

• Posted

37 year old male here. About 6 years ago I had experienced vertigo and haven’t felt normal since. I had a MRI, stress test, asked for the works on the blood test, ENT work up as well as vestibular rehab. After all that fun I’m really no better. I too was told it was anxiety and was given lexipro to try; after 4 days I broke out in a panic with what felt like sweating and heart palpitations. That was the end of that for me, first and last time for those types of meds.

I still continue to get palpitations which tend to cause lightheaded-ness but the cardiologist says I’m all good. What I found in a way to help limit palpitations is to stop coffee altogether, drink teas sparingly as well as alcohol. Using a spray magnesium to rub on my feet at night tends to help with relaxing and heart fluttering. Still not sure on being lightheaded, I’m convinced it’s more cardiovascular related. Good luck and please let me know if you find any relief. 

• Posted

Similar story here Robert. Constant dizziness/lightheadedness and palps/skipped beats. I did persevere with the meds and the side effects disappeared after a few weeks. I had about a year of feeling good. 9 months after coming off meds it’s all back again. 
    • Posted

Hi Matt,

Do you take the CBD oil daily? I was given a sample of it once but never tried it

• Posted

Hi Robert, how frequently do you get the lightheaded-ness? Mine seems to happen literally every other day, like a schedule. Some days more severe than others. I've found that strength training (lifting weights) on days that I'm lightheaded makes it go away which leads me to believe also that it has to be cardio related even though I passed all the tests at my cardiologist. I really need to look into this Magnesium also

• Posted

Alison I hope you find some relief without having to resort to the constant meds!
    • Posted

Lifting weights does seem to help me as well. I do feel the lightheaded-ness just about daily but maybe once or twice a month I get caught up in some task and forget about it. Of course this is usually on the weekend doing a task by myself. 

Ive heard about CBD oil but the only thing I found around here is some at a vape store. I don’t smoke so I probably don’t want to start...haha.

• Posted

I'm glad I found this!! It gives me hope I will soon feel good. I've had a major anxiety/panic attack almost 2 months ago and I keep putting in my head is just now the after math of a severe attack. Ever since I'm just in a fog lightheaded spell blurred vision state. Nausea has gotten better my anxiety over all is good I feel now like my aftermath symptoms is what brings my anxiety back. If only this lightheaded spell went away I will be perfectly fine. How many months did it take for you to feel better? And what else did you do to help relief symptoms? I refuse to take medication as I believe I'm capable of overcoming it naturally. Thanks! 

• Posted

This last time it took 5-6 months to feel completely normal.  What really helped was going for walks during breaks or lunch.  I also started taking magnum daily.  
    • Posted

Hi there! I'm like you, I really don't want any meds! I'm trying to fight this naturally. Although, I absolutely understand why people take medication, I've used it before, but my personal preference is to not. There are apps for anxiety that I just found. DARE is the one I'm really liking now. There's breathing activities for when you're going through panic attacks and step by step vocal instructions to take you through the anxiety to get you relief. I thought it was very helpful.

• Edited

Thank you for answering! smile I'm 3 months now like this I've noticed improvement slowly I guess a good thing is not getting worse even if slowly is improving! Not really in the dream like state i mean still sort of in it, I guess what I have been experiencing all this time is derealization. I still have that out of it feeling in my body/head my vision isn't as bad anymore. Is just an out of it weird feeling now on my head have also been experiencing headaches. I hope all this goes away soon.

• Posted

Hello Sparkles smile I am so scared of side effects I rather not to even try, I have 2 little ones so naturally is the way to go for me. That DARE book helped me sooooo much and the app too. I've been dealing with derealization for the last 3 months getting better but still feeling that out of it feeling with the lightheaded, vision has improved but still feel some pressure on my eyes and head now dealing with headaches and the lightheartedness. I am now reading this book is so good really recommend is called "Rewire Your Anxious Brain"  it pretty much gives you all the information docs will not provide us for anxiety how it really is caused and the best thing how to fix it smile 

• Posted

Hi there.i have the exact same symptoms as you. Just wondered what anti depressants you took to stop the symptoms and how you are now?

• Posted

My doctor prescribed me 10mg of paxil. She got it right the first time. It took about 3 weeks for me to start feeling better.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.